Singapore Expats

Think you've heard the worst story on Bad Service in SG?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BarStop

Think you've heard the worst story on Bad Service in SG?

Post by BarStop » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 9:58 pm

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Ling2 » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:27 am

It's purely one side story. Some customers could be totally unreasonable too or make a mountain out of a molehill? Is having service worst than no service at all? I hardly get any service in Norway :P

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:22 pm

Ling2, you've made a valid point. That's what's so remarkable about the internet.... how easy it is to propagate a story (truth or not !) and the tremedous amount of exposure you get relatively easily.

More than ever, we have to be more discernible.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:42 pm

there's an italian restaurant in the holland area, owned by an italian who will brusquely tell any guest whose phone rings to step out of the restaurant to take the call. talk about staff giving customers attitude! i loved it. some customers just don't know how to behave.

i am all for good service. but i also support the right of any private establishment to decide who they want to step into it. i would happily forego some profit in order to preserve the ambience of my restaurant for the rest of the customers that i do want to keep.

as for potential bad publicity, the right customers will probably come anyway. and the wrong ones, the ones who think that they are king and queen just because they are the customer, are welcome to stay away.

just my take.

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Post by renter » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 1:39 pm

it is all in the big environment.

Such as the ringing handphone, it is a problem with some people everywhere, not only in restaurants, but also in meetings, cinemas and even just casual friends gatherings.

and you can't expect everyone to suddently behave well once they step into the restaurant.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 1:48 pm

renter wrote:and you can't expect everyone to suddently behave well once they step into the restaurant.
that's exactly the point. i'm not the kind who would do it, but respect people who have the guts to ask those not behaving to step out. it is after all private property.

Onlyme!

Post by Onlyme! » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 7:25 pm

I dont have a problem with phones ringing in restaurants or even on buses (cinemas yes) as long as they speak softly; it's the people that talk loudly that i find annoying and this goes for those without phones!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 8:59 pm

Ling2 wrote: I hardly get any service in Norway :P
It's called selfservice, a great scandinavian way of letting you yourself decide how well and fast you wanna serve yourself. If there's bad service you have to complain to yourself. Perfect effective process, when customer service satisfaction survey can be done inside one's head. No noise to disturb the silence, no paper to destroy the environment, etc. Yes and I hate it too.

I still find it even more annoying when in some parts of Europe (Belgium, France to start with) they insist that there is service, and you shouldn't pick up your own drinks or go to counter to pay your bill, but then it takes hours to get you coffee and bill is brought separatelly, which leads a quick coffee break to last 45 mins out of which drinking the coffee is only 5 mins.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 3:20 pm

That's why I like UK pubs. You want a drink, you go up and get yourself one at the bar. None of this service charge and having to call staff over. That is also why I like going to the hawker centre. Great service because I do most of it myself!

Talking about phones ringing in inappropriate places, I sent my mum an SMS yesterday and she sent me one back to say she was at a funeral!!!! nightmare.

I hope she meant she was either on the way to the funeral or at the pub afterwards, not in the actual service.........because if she was in the service.....what was she doing texting me back?? :o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 4:49 pm

I hope she meant she was either on the way to the funeral or at the pub afterwards, not in the actual service.........because if she was in the service.....what was she doing texting me back?? :o
You should bring your Mum to Singapore - she would fit right in if she was at the service. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:05 pm

she would - she's terrible with that phone of hers. She's coming over in September and I'm sure she'll be right at home.

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 3:39 pm

Loops wrote:That's why I like UK pubs. You want a drink, you go up and get yourself one at the bar. None of this service charge and having to call staff over. That is also why I like going to the hawker centre. Great service because I do most of it myself!

I dont have problem with the service charge, since u do offer service.

but what i dislike is, in the restaurant menues, it is not stated clearly how much or how many percentage. Or they damn just put the gross amount which includes all the taxes and charges. DS. :roll:

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 3:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Loops wrote:That's why I like UK pubs. You want a drink, you go up and get yourself one at the bar. None of this service charge and having to call staff over. That is also why I like going to the hawker centre. Great service because I do most of it myself!

I dont have problem with the service charge, since u do offer service.

but what i dislike is, in the restaurant menues, it is not stated clearly how much or how many percentage. Or they damn just put the gross amount which includes all the taxes and charges. DS. :roll:
seldom the case where the restaurant menu states the GST and Service charge. Most of the time it appears as $20+++.

anything that you eat at the restaurant, just add on a 5% GST and 10% service charge to it.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 1:23 pm

meant to respond to this when it first came out

while BarStop is not immune to the usual haphazard service that Singapore is (now? becoming? always?) famous for, I've never found the service there to be an issue (the sushi prices from the place next door are exorbitant though!)

I don't doubt Tiger's run-in with an officious server, as there seem to be many here, but last time I was ther the staff were quite friendly and attentive, including the local lady who humored me with my bad jokes

as an offside, dontja just hate it when you're in a store or resturant and the staff say " 'I' don't have that today" ?! It's then I usually ask, "Well, how about that person servering that table over there, does he have it?" Like they have their own personal cache....

hehe
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 2:37 pm

Yeah pompous service staff are everywhere.

"Ooooh....he wants a special order...I'll give him a special order alright."
"Yeah no, we're all out of Chimay Blue...oh those bottles? They're for display only"
"What, no tips?"

I should know. Used to be one. :twisted:
some signatures are more equal than others