Singapore Expats

Pets going to USA

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Taos

Pets going to USA

Post by Taos » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 2:21 pm

I realise this is a forum for expats coming INTO Singapore. However, i wonder if anyone has had the experience of sending a pet TO USA.

This would be a cat- going to Chicago. Will she need to be quarantined?
And any idea of what it would cost to have her sent there?

I will look for some sites with this info, however, i thought if there is anyone out there with first hand info, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 4:44 pm

Taos

ta!

Post by Taos » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks, saw that link too.. but it doesnt say IF cat will be quarantined and if so, then how long.

I'll have to read it thoroughly again.. im also concerned about the long flight etc so if anyone has sent yr cat back home to usa from singapore
would really appreciate your comments...

thanks

animals

quarentine

Post by animals » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 2:00 am

I brought 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the USA 2 years ago. There is no quarentine on animals from Singapore since Singapore does not have rabies. You just need your animals to be up to date on their shots and have their travel certificats signed by your vet and the inspectors at the airport.

You will need to check about the temperatures that you will be allowed to ship the cat into in Chicago, so they limit its exposure to heat.

Taos

Sad and distressed

Post by Taos » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 6:01 pm

animals wrote:I brought 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the USA 2 years ago. There is no quarentine on animals from Singapore since Singapore does not have rabies. You just need your animals to be up to date on their shots and have their travel certificats signed by your vet and the inspectors at the airport.

You will need to check about the temperatures that you will be allowed to ship the cat into in Chicago, so they limit its exposure to heat.
Thanks... heard from the US embassy also that she wont need to be quarantined. Unfortunately Ive discovered that the people i am going to live with are allergic to cats. Its going to take a year or so for me to get settled in a place of my own or to find another foster home there for her. Therefore i cant take her now. Its too distressing. I need to find a good home for her here until i get settled and she can live with me instead of being fostered yet again. If anyone is willing to consider fostering a cat for a year or so please PM me.

Thank you. :cry: :cry:

LeahK

Cat Welfare Society

Post by LeahK » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:42 am

Contact the Cat Welfare Society. I have a good friend who is a foster momma volunteer for this group - she has taken care of various cats and kittens during interim periods and she currently has a cat she'll keep for a full year...so I'm certain that if anyone can find you a foster it'll be them!

Taos

Re: Cat Welfare Society

Post by Taos » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 1:53 pm

LeahK wrote:Contact the Cat Welfare Society. I have a good friend who is a foster momma volunteer for this group - she has taken care of various cats and kittens during interim periods and she currently has a cat she'll keep for a full year...so I'm certain that if anyone can find you a foster it'll be them!
yes,,, i did.. and have put up a notice..but not much luck so far...
chances are i wont consider that overseas post anyway..so my ball of fur will still be with me.

I will still consider the fostering for practice purpose.. maybe for a month or two.. i think she needs to get used to being amongst other cats and people.

Taos

Any cat lovers out there? Any Samaritans?

Post by Taos » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 6:43 pm

animals wrote:I brought 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the USA 2 years ago. There is no quarentine on animals from Singapore since Singapore does not have rabies. You just need your animals to be up to date on their shots and have their travel certificats signed by your vet and the inspectors at the airport.

hi i dont know if you can post again or write back in as a guest.. it keeps changing here.. could you tell me what the airfares cost to send them?

Ive been asking my travel agent and she keeps saying she'll get back to me, 3 wks later, still no news. This trip is on off on off... and i have a realitive in NJ who said she can keep the cat for me.. its a long way from Chicago but at least she'll be in the same country UNLESS there is a kind soul IN Singapore willing to adopt her till i get my feet and on the ground there.. a year or so...

Ive asked the cat welfare people but no takers yet... i can understand cos there's so many to choose from .. look at all those poor things on the site,..! :cry:

so may cats and so few cat lovers...

I need some divine intervention ...