Singapore Expats

Church vs. Children in Singapore!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
AntonPara

Church vs. Children in Singapore!

Post by AntonPara » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:17 am

Hi everone,

I just wanted to know whether there are any Churches in Singapore that accomodate Small Children in their main auditorium for regular Sunday services?

the reason is my wife, 18 month old and I went to what we thought was a HUGE Estblished church called the City Harvest the other week, completely oblivious to what was due to happen next. When we approached the entrance to their auditorium, the guy at the door turned us away saying that "there's no space inside for the baby laa.... please go 4th floor creche and enjoy service on the TV.... god bless youuu!" in true Singaporean Hospitable "Rude" way!

if that's what City Harvest's rules are, i am prepared to accept it, afterall this is not the Hillsong Church in London (where we used to go prior to singapore)

Can anyone tell me whether there are any churches for "families" in this god forsaken hyper efficient world? where Kiasu means more than any other bloody thing! :mad: - even at the church!

I miss going to church....

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Church vs. Children in Singapore!

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 1:07 pm

AntonPara wrote:my wife, 18 month old
bit of a cradle snatcher eh? :wink:

just kidding. i'm Catholic so can only comment on catholic churches but all the ones i've been to allow babies. most parents will take the baby outside if it starts crying though, to minimise disruption.

child-friendly

Post by child-friendly » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 4:11 pm

Lots of babies and tots at St Georges at Minden Road every Sunday at the 10am family service. Bigger kids can leave for their Sunday school classes part way through the service if they want to but some stay. I think there is a creche if you want to use it anytime but children are welcome to stay in Church and many do.

FMC'er

churches

Post by FMC'er » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 9:43 pm

Faith Methodist Church, next to Commonwealth MRT, parents with young children have the back rows at the right hand side reserved for them. However, it's only common decency to take your child out of the worship hall if he/she starts getting noisy. Service time is 11 am, 4th floor.

AntonPara

Post by AntonPara » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:40 am

thanks for the good suggestions guys, will try those in the coming weeks.

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:17 am

I am surprised to hear that you where turned away from church services because you had children.
All the churches that I ever went to in the US always let children into the services. After all children are the innocent ones of all of us humans.
Children should always be looked at as our future and especially these days and times they need all the church they can get.
If you can not find a church that will except your children into the regular sevices from start to finish then you should not go to any church. You would be better of staying home and reading the bible to your children for an hour. God does say where ever there are 2 or more gathering to worship me there also I will be.
Remember that when "church" first started where held in peoples houses rather than big elaborate buildings. "Church" is an event not a structure.
Nothing against big elaborate buildings or cathedrals or mosques or halls.
Just simply stating how church used to be held. In small groups with gods presence just as stong as in a large group.

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:24 am

I have one question!
If a drunk, drug addict or some dirt smelly homeless guy truly from his heart wanted to go to these churches would they be turn away as well or if they where allowed in would they be told "you are welcome but you have listen to the services from a loud speaker located in the basement storage room".
Think about it. Church should not be only for the childless couple or single male/female that makes over 20,000 dollars a year.

Post by Guest » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:07 am

One843, i don't think OP was 'turned away' from church services. The family was asked to go to 4th floor on follow the service from a tv.
It is not the same as being turned away - I don't want other to have the wrogn perception.

I, too, DO NOT like nor agree to the idea that family with young children/baby should be in a totally different room.
It's a pity that particular church that OP visitied had that as a rule.

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:13 pm

GUEST. Thank you for correcting me. I went back and read the original thread and sure enough I was wrong.
All though I would like to make 2 points.
In the original thread he did say "the guy at the door turned us away".
Also he was not asked to go to the 4th floor he basically was told that if he and his family wanted to attend that church they HAVE to go to the fourth floor.
Things like this topic are the reasons that my family and I do not attend church any longer.

child-friendly

Post by child-friendly » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 6:30 pm

If you decide to give St George's a try, take along some juice or water for your little one - the church is an old building, open at the sides and cooled by ceiling fans so it can be quite warm. Find a spot under a fan. Mosquitos follow me everywhere so I make sure I use mozzie repellent as well.

AntonPara

Post by AntonPara » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:04 am

Thanks One843 for that.... I am pleased that i am not alone in thinking that Church services should be open to all ages...

yes, we were told to take the elevator to the fourth floor, remember, this was our first time at this church and we were very new to singapore customs and culture - so it was quite unexpected for us to encounter that sort of directive from the usher, more so We were very embarassed to stand in a crowded queue and then to turn around to face a lot of people who were in a mighty rush to get in and we felt like obstacles!.... imagine that with a push chair going the wrong way in a crowd.

we didn't go to the fourth floor to watch TV and we did go home.... what amazes me is we went totally unnoticed when we made our way to the exit! - now, if this happened in england, someone would have ushered us to the creche - i am saying that 'cos i used to usher at our church back home.

I don't think they intended any offence to us, but I think the cause is the sheer mass of people attending their services, and frankly it felt like queuing up for a concert performance - very impersonal.

Well i guess CHC is not for us, at least until our daughter grows up to be treated as an adult!.... oh oops - what if we have another child?... hmmm

i think i will take one843's advice and watch the live TV feed at home :)

Luz

Church For Children!

Post by Luz » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:01 pm

Don't give up! You're right...that's just not the place for you. You tried one...maybe that place is too large for your family and your needs at this time in your life. Try, try, try until you find the right fit. We tried 7 churches before we found home, and for the past months have been at Leng Kwang Baptist at 365 Bukit Timah...with no thought of trying another. Children are welcome of all ages, and do sit with their families at the opening. ...and later go to age appropriate classes, if they want. There is a crying room in the back of the sanctuary, with a glass wall, so you can see clearly everything that is going on, should you have to go in there. But if your baby is crying, it may be a bit harder to hear.
It's a very family friendly place...and truly impossible for you to walk out unnoticed. English service begins at 8:30. Mandarin is at 10:30. Come on out and let us meet you! :D
Treat people the same way you want them to treat you.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 6:14 pm

You can also try St. John's- St. Margaret's Church (no, that's not a typo) on Dover Avenue near Buona Vista MRT. It's an Anglican church with services at 5pm on Saturdays, 7.30am, 9.00am and 11.15am on Sundays. The 11.15am service is referred to as the 'family service'. They too have a 'crying room' with glass window within the sanctuary. SJSM was fomerly St. John's Garrison Church serving the British Army so it has quite a history. City Harvest is pretty much a youth oriented church (just look at the average age of their congregation) and they don't seem to know how to cater for young kids. (They do know how to get donations and tithings though!)

also

Catholic Church?

Post by also » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:04 am

Sorry to hijack post but does anyone know of a catholic children friendly church that have separate 'sessions' for the kids whilst the long sermon takes place. (preferably on the East Coast) Have tried Holy family, Our lady of perpetual Succour and the Cathedral. To be honest have been put off going as it is difficult to manage 2 children under 3 on my own (husband not Catholic) who are extremely bored with looking at peoples backs for over an hour!!!!

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 1:43 pm

Am I the only one who perceives this to be indoctrination?
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.