Singapore Expats

Multi Region DVD Player

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
DsgnMan14

Multi Region DVD Player

Post by DsgnMan14 » Sat, 27 May 2006 5:36 pm

Hi all!
I am looking for a Multi Region DVD Player, can you recommend me one. I am in need of one that is not too expensive, but not too cheap either. Is there like a "Good Guys" or "Bing Lee" or "Best Buy" stores in Singapore or Sim Lim is the place to buy? Any help would be good.

Cheers!

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Sun, 28 May 2006 12:01 am

I recommend AudioHouse. :)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 28 May 2006 8:12 am

I buy a lot from Best Denki, either Great World City or Takashimaya. They have a big enough selection and the staff is fairly well informed. Or, if you are near Holland Village, you can go to Paris Siilk. The staff knows what they are taliing about and it's kind of an expat's right of passage to buy at least one appliance there. Hope that helps.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multi Region DVD Player

Post by joop » Sun, 28 May 2006 12:20 pm

DsgnMan14 wrote:Hi all!
I am looking for a Multi Region DVD Player, can you recommend me one. I am in need of one that is not too expensive, but not too cheap either. Is there like a "Good Guys" or "Bing Lee" or "Best Buy" stores in Singapore or Sim Lim is the place to buy? Any help would be good.

Cheers!
Carrerfour.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 29 May 2006 6:19 am

joop wrote:

Cheers!
Carrerfour.
For sure Carrefour has the item, but it can be a harrowing shopping experience and if you had a question concerning the item, you'd be in big trouble. Also, if the quality of the DVDs are any indication, I would say the DVD players are good for about 2 weeks. :wink:

DsgnMan14

Post by DsgnMan14 » Mon, 29 May 2006 10:08 am

Do we have to bargain for the price at Carrefour or Best Denki? Or the price is pretty much have been set? Probably the only question that I am going to ask them is whether the player is multi-region. As far as quality, I am going to buy a brand that I am familiar with. I, once buy a $55 Apex DVD player, and it last for 2 months before it finally broke down. Any of you got a multi-region DVD?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Mon, 29 May 2006 4:17 pm

DsgnMan14 wrote:Do we have to bargain for the price at Carrefour or Best Denki? Or the price is pretty much have been set? Probably the only question that I am going to ask them is whether the player is multi-region. As far as quality, I am going to buy a brand that I am familiar with. I, once buy a $55 Apex DVD player, and it last for 2 months before it finally broke down. Any of you got a multi-region DVD?
Mine's a Samsung.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Elf

Post by Elf » Wed, 31 May 2006 10:07 pm

enzer seems to be great for me.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:33 am

Cheers!
Walk around Sim Lim Square and compare the prices, you can get about $50 off for the cheapest shop you can find. Which would normally be cheaper than prices listed at Best Denki or Courts.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Post by Guest » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 1:26 pm

Cheers!
I recommend Hyundai which is selling at Giant now. It is multi-region, has 5.1 output & selling at SGD 60+ only, and best of all, it is made in Korea & not in China....

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 9:27 pm

Cheers!
Ask to test it before buying; I bought mine (JVC) around a year ago from a sale at Harvey Nash in Parkway. I had region 1 and region 2 dvds with me to check that it really works on my movies (I brought it with me to Europe, so would be quite useless if couldnt watch anything here). The sales guys were very helpfuland explained something like the region 3 is just a sign on packaging, and they are in practice all multiregion, or something like that.