Singapore Expats

Need to buy furniture...

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
MNL

Need to buy furniture...

Post by MNL » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 3:03 pm

I just recently got an apartment here in Singapore and now need to furnish it with a few things. I was wondering where there are some good places to purchase mid-range furniture (i.e. bed, couch/sofa, coffee table). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 3:15 pm

IKEA or Courts
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 5:50 pm

Ikea~

but their products do not usually last long.
my cupboards are all breaking down :mad:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 8:56 pm

emiko08 wrote:Ikea~

Amen, sister.

Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

Post by Singapore Newbie » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:31 am

I would consider IKEA low-end furniture. I'm not sure about the pricing, but the Park Mall on Penang Road has a lot of furniture shops. Also, there is the Da Vinci store across from Tudor Court on Tanglin Road that has many sofa sets and coffee tables.

shmoo_g

Post by shmoo_g » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:01 pm

Not courts please. qlty is bad. ikea is only slightly better.
check out Dempsey Road, where there are a whole bunch of teak furniture shops. bargain about 30% off the listed retail price.
AVOID IMM and Furniture Mall, cheap but crap. Other affordable places are Barang Barang and The Life Shop. Parkmall is good for imported and higher end items. Check out SPACE at Millenia Walk.

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:15 pm

emiko08 wrote:Ikea~

Yes i agreed, their furniture dont last, and you got to fix it on your own...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:25 pm

If you are into the colonial style, try Barang Barang, they have branches all over the island and have pretty decent stuff, also affordable.

http://www.barang.com.sg/

Furthermore there are all kind of furniture shops in some of the malls, for example Harbourfront mall. For accessories you may also wanna have a look at Spotlight at Plaza Singapura.
If antiques from Myanmar, Indonesia and other SE asean countries is your style, go to the old kampung buildings on Dempsey Road, they have loads of nice stuff, worth an afternoon of walking around and browse.

Eric

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Need to buy furniture...

Post by abbby » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:42 am

MNL wrote:I just recently got an apartment here in Singapore and now need to furnish it with a few things. I was wondering where there are some good places to purchase mid-range furniture (i.e. bed, couch/sofa, coffee table). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
The following are a few good choices: IMM (Jurong), IKEA, VHIVE & Natural Living, won't burn a hole in your pocket. :D
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Chinese furniture

Post by bunty » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:19 am

how about the antique chinese type of furniture. where would this be available. we are looking for living room furniture.

surprised to read that IKEA is not great. we went to ikea and found the shop to be great, the way they have created the setup etc...

cheers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Chinese furniture

Post by abbby » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:33 pm

bunty wrote:how about the antique chinese type of furniture. where would this be available. we are looking for living room furniture.

surprised to read that IKEA is not great. we went to ikea and found the shop to be great, the way they have created the setup etc...

cheers

Do you mean rosewood furniture? You can try the World Rosewood Furniture located at 400, Upper Paya Lebar Road.

They provide custom-made services as well as ready-made rosewood furniture set.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

kc_phil

Post by kc_phil » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 5:06 am

anybody ever try to import some of the cool stuff from Chiang Mai, Thailand or does it become cost prohibitive.

Obviously it won't be in the same range as IKEA but how far afield is it?

ANZinSINGAPORE

Wihardja Furniture....Kings Centre

Post by ANZinSINGAPORE » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:44 pm

Anyone ever bought furniture from Wihardja Furniture ?

An Aussie expat recommended them instead of Dempsey Road ....

Good idea or not ?

I plan to go there over the weekend.

Any Teak ?

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:22 am

kc_phil wrote:anybody ever try to import some of the cool stuff from Chiang Mai, Thailand or does it become cost prohibitive.

Obviously it won't be in the same range as IKEA but how far afield is it?
We bought a wooden statue from Thailand and had to get it shipped - I think it cost about $150 for port/customs duty in Singapore on top of what we paid for it and also what we paid in Thailand for it to be shipped when we bought it. It probably wasn't really that good a deal in the end, but I don't know if the duty here is the same regardless of how much you buy. You can probably look into the costs somewhere on some government/shipping website for Singapore.

Ikea furniture - I find OK really. Not the best there is in looks certainly, but we got a couch and some other stuff (table, chairs, TV stand, futon etc) from them 4 years ago and it is all still going strong.

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Post by marj_kee » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 8:56 am

Would you consider pre-owned stuffs ? Could get pretty good deals some times.