Singapore Expats Forum

Skipping treats from home

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Skipping treats from home

Postby Em Eye » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm

I just got home from doing the grocery shopping and realised that I didn't buy any of the usual treats from home.

I didn't pick up a pie or a sausage roll. I passed by the biscuits and I didn't get tim tams. Ok I'm trying to get fit again but in the 2.5 years I've been here there is always a pie in the freezer and tim tams in the fridge for emergencies.

I also passed over my weekly indulgence of my NW magazine which has been a Friday morning ritual...the last few weeks more and more crap gossip from home that doesn't hold my interest.

Does this mean I'm becoming more Singaporean than Australian?

Eric Shang

Postby Eric Shang » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:58 pm

Until you start stocking up on rabbit sweets and keropoks, you're not quite Singaporean yet.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 1:00 pm

Nah!

I'm about as Aussie as it gets. Can't stand Americanised tabloid mag like NW. Don't have the Tim Tams very often (maybe twice in 6 months). Haven't had a sausage roll- can you really get them here? Had 2 pies since I've been here. Did eat Saos with vegemite for lunch yesterday though :D

I'm a food-a-holic. But doesn't mean I feel the need to be in constant stock of Aussie foods- 'cept vegemite that is! Save them for little treats.

Don't worry you aren't turning Singaporean! Your taste buds are just assimilating is all.

(I do still download the Glasshouse for my weekly fix of Aussie sense of humour though)

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 26 May 2006 1:01 pm

Em Eye, did you go shopping just after you had eaten? It is a good way to ensure you don't pick up all sorts of things like that. However if you go shopping for food when you are hungry - you get loads of quick fix stuff & hardly anything that you can use to cook a nice meal.

mmmmm white rabbit :D gotta love that milky candy goodness although I don't know what 'keropoks' are - am interested now though :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 26 May 2006 1:09 pm

Eric Shang wrote:Until you start stocking up on rabbit sweets and keropoks, you're not quite Singaporean yet.

i just found out i'm not quite singaporean... :?