Singapore Expats

PR and Re-entry Permit

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tobeexpat

PR and Re-entry Permit

Post by tobeexpat » Wed, 24 May 2006 7:07 pm

I know that when you apply for a Singapore PR, that means you're applying for an Entry Permit. But when your PR is approved, does ICA also give you a Re-entry Permit, in addition to the Entry Permit? or Do I need to separately apply for a Re-entry Permit after the approval?? If so, how long does it take?

Secondly, would it be possible to get a 10-yr Re-entry Permit (not 5yr) in the case of first-time PRs?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 24 May 2006 8:23 pm

When your PR is approved, you automatically get the first 5-year Re-entry Permit stamped into your passport, so no worries. I don't really understand what you mean by the plain old Entry Permit though -- are you applying for PR without a current Employment Pass or other means of staying in Singapore? :shock:

And no, as far I know you always get 5 years the first time around. If you're still paying taxes after it expires, then you'll probably get a 10-year permit.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

tobeexpat

Post by tobeexpat » Fri, 26 May 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks, that clarifies it. I mistakenly thought I would need to separately apply for a 5yr re-entry permit. Cheers!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 5:51 am

Been on my mind ever since.

Why do they come up with this concept of EP and REP? Won't it be simpler to just stamp that passport and be done with the formalities?

:???:
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 3:06 am

That yellow card of Entry Permit seems very important, isn't it? Both employers, old and new wanted to see them.

Why is the NRIC insufficient for all intends and purposes? They can even check online at SG Gov's website http://tinyurl.com/s6fmn
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:52 am

riversandlakes wrote:That yellow card of Entry Permit seems very important, isn't it? Both employers, old and new wanted to see them.

Why is the NRIC insufficient for all intends and purposes? They can even check online at SG Gov's website http://tinyurl.com/s6fmn
Maybe they are looking for regional counterfiters? I've be a PR for over 15 years and had several jobs and have never been asked for the Entry Permit.

The separate Reentry Permit is okay. That way, if you don't ever plan to go to Malaysia or Batam, or outside of Singapore you can let it expire and save some money. I renewed my reentry permit this past March for 10 years but it had actually expired last May '05. However, if you leave the country without a re-entry permit you will be considered as having given up your PR. That said, if it expires while overseas, you can sometimes get it re-issued upon re-entry into singapore upon paying a fine and renewal fees. This is a case by case basis.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers