Singapore Expats

Two seperate questions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
one843
Regular
Regular

Two seperate questions

Post by one843 » Mon, 22 May 2006 12:09 pm

First off. My family was craving some american food Fri so we decided to go to Pizza hut. MY question is. Why is it cheaper to buy two 6in personal pizzas than it is to buy one 9in pizza. Also why are they and other pizza places so against PIZZA SAUCE?
When you go out to eat here in this country and you get something with rice you get a plate full of rice and usually a good helping of meat or what have you. But if you order something with french fries you are lucky to get 10 pieces and a portion of meat that is too large for you to eat all of. What is up with that?
My final question is. Why do the taxi drivers not know how to get anywhere? These people are professional drivers that have been here for a long time.
These things that I am ranting about may just be experienced by me. That is usually how it work even in the states maybe I am cursed.
But it does feel better to let it out. :shock: :mad:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Mon, 22 May 2006 1:10 pm

Welcome to the board one843

Fell free to let it out - as you said always helps :)

I know what you mean about your pizzas, usually economies of scale mean that if you buy a bigger portion it should be cheaper. I went to the Hog's Breath in Holland Village on friday.

A mug of Tiger $5, A pint (2 mugs) $10 and a jug (2 pints) $20. Measurements according to waiteress. I'll just drink mugs then & have cold fizzy beer & keep you walking to the bar alot :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Mon, 22 May 2006 8:17 pm

Hey one843,

You arent cursed buddy, just a bad hair day.

:)

Welcome to the forum anyways !
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Mon, 22 May 2006 9:25 pm

Welcome to Singapore! :) I am glad you feel better for unloading on us because we too have been there or something similiar. I must make a couple of comments....

1. What gave you the idea that the taxi drivers here are professionals? They are far from it, there are some who are decent drivers and there are some who I have asked for them to stop so I can get out and either walk or try another. The majority of these guys are not trained as they should be.

2. As you have learned, just because it has the familiar name on it, doesn't mean that it will remotely taste or look the same as it did back home! :cry: I, too, use to frequent Pizza Hut in the US, went for the salad bar in OZ (Pizza was terrible, without the sauce!) and I tried once here and that was once too often.

Good luck on adjusting to all the differences here. Don't be afraid to try different things and enjoy those things you miss, even more when you go home!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 22 May 2006 9:36 pm

hi one,

welcome, to the forum and to singapore!

some taxi drivers are great at what they do. but many do it because they were retrenched and have no better option and their hearts are totally not in it. best to be armed with the address of wherever you want to go and if the driver isn't sure he will have a street directory that you or he can check.

as for adjusting to a new place / person / company / anything, i've learnt that when you compare to what you were used to, you are bound to be frustrated. i am always mildly amused to hear something along the lines of "how come singapore is not america / england / australia..." and sometimes think most expats would adjust far better to a more primitive place like africa simply because you'd go there not knowing what to expect and so everything will be a discovery and adventure! :wink:

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Tue, 23 May 2006 7:43 pm

I just had the most delightfull american meal that had to pay for since I got hear in Feb. A little costly but well worth it. So good I had to run down and try to get a taxi to remember I was in Singapore. LOL
We had Tony Romas delivered tonight and it was good. Recomended to anyone who is missing US food.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 23 May 2006 7:50 pm

one843 wrote:I just had the most delightfull american meal that had to pay for since I got hear in Feb. A little costly but well worth it. So good I had to run down and try to get a taxi to remember I was in Singapore. LOL
We had Tony Romas delivered tonight and it was good. Recomended to anyone who is missing US food.

If you like dead pig that is . . . :-&
One in the hand is worth two of something

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 23 May 2006 10:21 pm

one843 wrote:I just had the most delightfull american meal that had to pay for since I got hear in Feb. A little costly but well worth it. So good I had to run down and try to get a taxi to remember I was in Singapore. LOL
Sorry one843,

Tony Roma's is to American Food as
Old Chang Kee is to Chinese Food

If you want good American food in Singapore you have to go to Morton's.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 23 May 2006 10:49 pm

One of your mob then, eh? Tony Roma's indeed!

Yup, in the days of eating meat many moons ago a nice juicy Mortons steak went down a treat.

(Damn, am I sounding more and more like a Brit?)
One in the hand is worth two of something

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 23 May 2006 10:52 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
Yes. :P

Plavt. :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 23 May 2006 10:53 pm

Quasimodo wrote: Yup, in the days of eating meat many moons ago a nice juicy Mortons steak went down a treat.

Nope, more like a vegie who deep down would like something other than tofu and green stuff... :P :)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 24 May 2006 6:46 am

Plavt wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:
Yes. :P

Plavt. :)
I think we all are. The longer we stay, the more those Britishisms slip into our vocabulary. Cheerio!