Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
nafnaf

Post by nafnaf » Sat, 20 May 2006 11:03 pm

hey whuiskas,were you guys given the number of the lady who is in charge of the recruitment because we girls were given her contact in case we didnt receive the email for the next round.I guess you better give her a call on monday just in case they left you out :)

12am

Post by 12am » Sat, 20 May 2006 11:21 pm

hey 12am. i've seen some nice post from you. actually i already went for interview last april but cant make it to next try. so im waiting for the next recruitment for next chance. hope you dont give up easily too. as you're doing research now ... just share and update with us here ok. good luck ...

Hi 'blur me'

So sorry you didn't pass the 2nd round. Do you know what went wrong? Hopefully you can find out and improve it for the next round. I believe you wanted to get in SIA compare to other airlines.... one of my frd, he tried almost all airlines that he could try, the reason being interview pratice make one good .... he wanted to get in SIA as well. Good Luck!!!

I won't give up, but honestly I need to know more about it before making a decision. Well, but I believe I will go for interview and try ...I am wondering if anyone can answer my this question: " The interview process tooks up to about 1 month + to complete, and if one is offered the position for starting the trainning, it would be around 3-4 months from the first date of interview,. Could one asks to defer the starting date for trainning for a reason? or if one turns the offer down for that time, would one still giving chance for his or her next attempt?"
hi twelve am,

i agree with wat u wrote...cabin crew is not a long term job, depending on individua....i think this job can really help us to b more confident, charisma and building people's skills. besides this job also gives us the chance to improve on our knowledge in safety, food and beverage, country, cultures, etc. so it is not just "coffee, tea or juice?'

I am planning to join also for my self development and tried my first time at suntec but was booted out at the first stage. anyway, hopefully, there wil b a recruitment in KL soon for stewards (but today's paper dun have, )
Hi Serembanboy,

Again sorry for your case too. Why they turn you away? is it because that's for s'porean only? May be try other airlines even SIA is what you wanted. I believe the interview with other airlines will help. Are you under 26? have you ever consider cadet pilot?

The main reason for me to have such dream is it would allow me to go to many different countries, see thier cultures, meet different peoples, interact with them....as I grow up and know a little more about the good and bad of it, I learn to realise that the bad things are the good things too if one learns from it in a positive way - iI believe, it's how one learn to improve and be a better person.

I was a PT waitress when I did my undergraduate, I did not do it for money but experince, I understand how is the feeling of senior waitress bully junior waitress, made you do something beyond your job's scope, and how nasty some customers were... it also makes you feel good when everyone is working as a team, the nice comments of the customer about your services, their thank you after the meal...now I looked back...I would say, at least i won't be nasty at all to the person who serve me, I have learned how to respect people in a better way, remember to say thank you to them before you make your leave would made thier day very different...I believe there would so much more to give and take in airline industry. Again, the bond of 22 months is not long but not short either....10+K is a lot if cannot handle negative side of it....

Good Luck to you... keep pursue what you want in this time of your life :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 21 May 2006 2:20 am

12am wrote: The main reason for me to have such dream is it would allow me to go to many different countries, see thier cultures, meet different peoples, interact with them....as I grow up and know a little more about the good and bad of it, I learn to realise that the bad things are the good things too if one learns from it in a positive way - iI believe, it's how one learn to improve and be a better person.
The trouble with this view is; you do not really get to see the countries you visit. For example when the crews arrive in London they have only two nights. On arrival they are likely too exhausted to do very much and on the second more often than not they get to do some shopping on Oxford Street, visit some tourist areas either in London and sometimes a little way out of London. London is not England anymore than other tourist areas are and any encounters with another culture on stopovers will be brief to say the least. There will of course be very little interaction.

Having said that most of your cultural learning apart from what you read in books will be onboard. For example fewer and fewer English like to be called Mr or Mrs and using first names with the boss is common which SIA's crews have learned fairly recently. There will of course be many scenarios in which culture will be relevant and much will come with experience.

My own view is flight crew should get a few weeks in different countries to learn a little of the culture but that doesn't earn the airline any money.

Plavt.

12am

Post by 12am » Sun, 21 May 2006 10:55 am

Thanks plavt for your personal view. What you have mentioned is once again reassure the point that Wintery make in the previous post. I agree FA will be over exhausted to do anything on arrival, even being passenger sitting on board for more than 9 hours make my next 12 hours useless. It's true the stay may be too short to do much, while it is apparently not many long stay assignment though for a FA and mostly will be the similar places.

What make me surprise is the little culture interaction with the locals during the stay or even on board. Just to share somthing here - two friends of mine are tourist guide. Although they got to do more and interact more, but the amount of pressure they have are enormous. But of couse they still liking their job, where in many trips they did enjoy as much as their tourist and making good friends all over. I believe there is not many job as perfet as one would thought of. One may claims it's rather better to get to see the world a little than just reading from the book. There's always a positive way to think of things :).

Once again thanks Plavt for sharing some fact here, I think it just bring down a little of some expectation of many peoples about this job ( including myself ...hehe). I believe and do hope the real facts of profession like FA, tour guide or similar sort does not shatter many peoples dream ( it happens in many other profession too), one just need to think in thorough what is one looking for apart from travel (sometime, it's a pian to spend a fair amount of times to realise it does not suit you). Every industry has it uniqueness for one to gain and experince (e.g. serembanboy), and an old saying 'not pain no gain'.

Cheers'
waiting for answer - http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... tml#184618

serembanboy

Post by serembanboy » Mon, 22 May 2006 4:16 pm

to oceanmist, sheryl n those who wil b going thru the 3rd stage today and tomorrow,

just continue to put on the good performance, yea :wink:
i wish my cyberpals the best!

mysty

Post by mysty » Mon, 22 May 2006 4:36 pm

hey everyone,
Just wanna know...anybody out there knows that, how many days does an SIA crews have layover nights in other countries nowadays? I ask my sister the other day (which was an SIA ex-crew), she told me that last time they used to have 8-10 days the most, depending in which country they were flying to. But now SIA might have cut down the number of layover nights. It was great to get to visit and stay over in a foreign country for so many days without needed to work and being paid for that. :D Well...but i know, it won't be easy bcos u have to work for a tough long haul flight to get all that. Just curious to know... :wink:

whuiskas

Re: So worried......

Post by whuiskas » Mon, 22 May 2006 4:49 pm

sq_boy wrote:
whuiskas wrote:Hey,

I went for the april recruitment at suntec and they told me, like the rest of the guys, to wait two weeks for mail..but its not here! =(( Is it email or snail mail? I keep getting paranoid about lost mail..or maybe someone there was using my form to catch the icing sugar off his frosted donut and left a coffee mug stain on it, then decided to throw it away.. wahh..

Any chance I might have missed my date for the 2nd round already? What to do..what to do..?

Whuiskas
Hey whuiskas,
As far as I know, they are already clearing the guys who went for the Suntec walk-in interview. Most of the guys have completed the water confidence test and some are already waiting for the final round of interview. You might want to give the Cabin Crew Division a call to re-affirm. You might have been left out.

Boo Hooo :cry: :cry: :cry:
I called Sheryn this morning who transfered me to Richard whos in charge of the guys..he checked the records for my name and said that they already sent me an email. But for any one of the reasons you can probably imagine, i didnt get it!! And the best thing..he said ITS TOO LATE, TOO BAD, TRY AGAIN NEXT TIME. :cry: :cry:

blur me

Re: So worried......

Post by blur me » Mon, 22 May 2006 5:08 pm

hey whuiskas ... try again next time ok. its not the end when we failed, its the end when we give up. :)
whuiskas wrote:
sq_boy wrote:
whuiskas wrote:Hey,

I went for the april recruitment at suntec and they told me, like the rest of the guys, to wait two weeks for mail..but its not here! =(( Is it email or snail mail? I keep getting paranoid about lost mail..or maybe someone there was using my form to catch the icing sugar off his frosted donut and left a coffee mug stain on it, then decided to throw it away.. wahh..

Any chance I might have missed my date for the 2nd round already? What to do..what to do..?

Whuiskas
Hey whuiskas,
As far as I know, they are already clearing the guys who went for the Suntec walk-in interview. Most of the guys have completed the water confidence test and some are already waiting for the final round of interview. You might want to give the Cabin Crew Division a call to re-affirm. You might have been left out.

Boo Hooo :cry: :cry: :cry:
I called Sheryn this morning who transfered me to Richard whos in charge of the guys..he checked the records for my name and said that they already sent me an email. But for any one of the reasons you can probably imagine, i didnt get it!! And the best thing..he said ITS TOO LATE, TOO BAD, TRY AGAIN NEXT TIME. :cry: :cry:
enjoy life fullest

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 22 May 2006 5:14 pm

mysty wrote:hey everyone,
Just wanna know...anybody out there knows that, how many days does an SIA crews have layover nights in other countries nowadays? I ask my sister the other day (which was an SIA ex-crew), she told me that last time they used to have 8-10 days the most, depending in which country they were flying to. But now SIA might have cut down the number of layover nights. It was great to get to visit and stay over in a foreign country for so many days without needed to work and being paid for that. :D Well...but i know, it won't be easy bcos u have to work for a tough long haul flight to get all that. Just curious to know... :wink:

Wow, never heard of 8-10 days in all my years of flying. Most was 3 days on the US East Coast.

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 22 May 2006 5:23 pm

Mysty,
I would be very, very surprised if any aircrew, technical or otherwise gets that amount of layover in another country. Coming to London they have a mere two nights, when they arrive - exhausted and the next day off. Not surprising when you consider the price of hotel accommodation in central London. The crews themselves tell me they get four days on one the American routes (Chicago if I remember rightly) but even that is more likely to lessen given companies constant obsession with reducing costs in the face of severe competition. Just as an example one flight lands late in Hong Kong only for the crew to depart early the next day! This is more the style of flight attendant who hardly sees a foreign country other than the tourist/well known areas.

Plavt.

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Mon, 22 May 2006 5:42 pm

Went for the round 3 and 4 today! I make it through.... there is 44 people attend! 21 make it through! Almost Half did it!

So nervous for the water-confidence! But lucky i make it to swim all the way! Will be having my next mgn round and tea party on next wednesday! Anyone Out there oso?
Last edited by Cheesie on Mon, 22 May 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Matt10 » Mon, 22 May 2006 5:45 pm

Just asked an SIA cabin crew, if they go to UK, US or Europe, they spend 5 days over there. :D If they go to HK, they sometimes do turnaround and sometimes have layover. If they go to US, they can even stay up to 7 days and when they return to Singapore, they will have 3 days off.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 22 May 2006 6:33 pm

Matt10 wrote:Just asked an SIA cabin crew, if they go to UK, US or Europe, they spend 5 days over there. :D If they go to HK, they sometimes do turnaround and sometimes have layover. If they go to US, they can even stay up to 7 days and when they return to Singapore, they will have 3 days off.
Baloney!!! I have spoken to many a member who tell me they spend TWO NIGHTS in London which I know only too well to be true. I doubt if they get much more anywhere else in Europe (hotels are expensive you know) and in the US as I said earlier the most is about 4 days. I have a friend who is still a serving steward and know this to be true. I do not know who you have been talking too but it seems he is having you on unless he missed the plane home of course.

Plavt.

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Mon, 22 May 2006 6:49 pm

Matt10 wrote:Just asked an SIA cabin crew, if they go to UK, US or Europe, they spend 5 days over there. :D If they go to HK, they sometimes do turnaround and sometimes have layover. If they go to US, they can even stay up to 7 days and when they return to Singapore, they will have 3 days off.
yeap, what Matt says is true, they spend a week in London and then have 3 days off... I've confirmed this with a friend whois working for SIA. 5-7 days layover normally applies to Europe. However, from a general view, a many crew dislike the long haul flights due to the long hours of travel and work.
They often do not get to visit the places and are usually stuck between the boundaries of a country's airport and hotel. I guess thats the price to pay for the wage.
"City of Ang3Ls"

oceanmist
Regular
Regular

Post by oceanmist » Mon, 22 May 2006 6:50 pm

Cheesie wrote:Went for the round 3 and 4 today! I make it through.... there is 44 people attend! 21 make it through! Almost Half did it!

So nervous for the water-confidence! But lucky i make it to swim all the way! Will be having my next mgn round and tea party on next wednesday! Anyone Out there oso?
Hey Chessie,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*envious* mine is tomorrow... will update... very very happy for you. if no accident you should be more or less there already~