Singapore Expats

The Evil Weed... and how it's never too late to quit

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

The Evil Weed... and how it's never too late to quit

Post by CardZeus » Thu, 18 May 2006 1:12 pm

I've been a smoker for 30 years, and last year I went to the doctor for something completely unrelated and my blood pressure was taken as a matter of course - 180/110 !!! But I continued to smoke, tried to change other parts of my lifestyle - more exercise, better diet...

SO I'm on medication for my high blood pressure, which is steady around 135/90, and my heartrate is usually around 85. I have my own blood pressure monitor at home, and of course I have to visit the doctor every 2 months to renew my medication.

Then 3 days ago I decided to quit smoking - I can't believe the effect it has had on me!! My BP is down to 120/80 and my heartrate is steady around 70 - after just 3 DAYS!!! Food is starting to taste different/better and I just generally feel so much better...

So I guess the reason for this post is to encourage any other smokers lurking here, that it's never too late to quit and the positive effects are immediate.
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Thu, 18 May 2006 1:48 pm

Well done CZ!

icedragon1420
Regular
Regular

Post by icedragon1420 » Thu, 18 May 2006 1:56 pm

Yo have no clue what you going to feel like in a month!It will be like you you can smell and taste thing like the new to you.
If time is money and money is time then where can i buy some?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Thu, 18 May 2006 3:43 pm

Well done CZ - I also stopped after smoking for 20+ years . . . oddly enough it wasn't difficult at all.
Keep it up and enjoy the difference.

(Umm, does that mean you'll turn into a grouch now?)
One in the hand is worth two of something

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 18 May 2006 4:20 pm

I am happy for you CZ!

Also, this way, you will be more eligible\attractive to all those women who hate kissing a smoker.

:)
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 May 2006 6:31 pm

CZ, close parallel there.

I quit after 37 year of smoking in mid Dec 04. so looking at around 17 months. When I decided to quit it was for me and me alone. It was easy. I also have HBP and the numbers were about the same and after 3 days also dropped the same. (other stresses have pushed it back up again to original medicated levels subsequently however). Only real bad backlash was I gained some 10 Kg in 3 months and I've never been able to get rid of it due to High Impact exercises have a bad impact on my joints as I have hereditary gout.

Good on you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Thu, 18 May 2006 6:52 pm

Kats_ wrote:I am happy for you CZ!

Also, this way, you will be more eligible\attractive to all those women who hate kissing a smoker.

Thanks, kats_, never smoked around our daughter though (or seldom anyway) so i guess those many women - - wife, daughter 1 and daughter 2 still love kissing me! :)

Good on ya, SMS - I remember the time you were quitting and I was assisting you with some chi! No need to thank me, though :P
One in the hand is worth two of something

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 May 2006 9:46 pm

Quasimodo wrote:Good on ya, SMS - I remember the time you were quitting and I was assisting you with some chi! No need to thank me, though :P
Quasi, whatever it was, every little bit from everybody must have helped. Aside from the weight problem I've never had any urges to return to the weed at all. Now if I could just get away from good cheeses I might be okay! Had a lot of gout problems this year (since Jan) have increased the water consumption which was atrociously low and backed off the cheese but I'm sitting here at the moment with a throbbing knee that decided to visit me last night. :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 18 May 2006 11:39 pm

sms, sorry to hear about the knee. and good on all of you for quitting the habit. i've nothing to contribute here beyond this as i'm proud to say i quit before i ever started! :cool: (avatar pun not intended)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Fri, 19 May 2006 12:47 am

Good on you CZ...fantastic!

Its never easy to do but when you can finally make that step and feel good about it, then you realise what its all about. (been there too)

Keep it up and enjoy your "new" life. \:D/
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

kk_lass
Reporter
Reporter

Post by kk_lass » Fri, 19 May 2006 1:25 am

Well done CardZeus!! =D>
I guess smoking is more harmful to our health than benefit. It is good you are very determined and perseverance enough to completely quit smoking after 30yrs of smoking.

My dad used to be smoker too.. It becomes more of a habit to light up cigrattes every time after dinner, or when talking business...etc Then later, it was difficult to quit. He tried to quit, but was always tempted by environment and bad company.

I am glad he finally quitted several years ago. Though not out of his willingness.. :-| He got sicked, very sick .. till he was admitted to hospital.. For weeks, he cannot light up the cigrattes.. Then after he was discharged, he finds no more craving and totally quit smoking till now. I was very happy. God answered my prayer. :D

So i am very happy for you as well, CardZeus :mrgreen:
LEVERAGE ~ The ability to do MORE and MORE with less and less

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Fri, 19 May 2006 8:35 am

Quasimodo wrote:
Kats_ wrote:I am happy for you CZ!

Thanks, kats_, never smoked around our daughter though (or seldom anyway) so i guess those many women - - wife, daughter 1 and daughter 2 still love kissing me! :)
:D

SMS, sorry to hear about your knee. Hope it is not hurting too much..but yes, very happy to hear 'quitting' stories! :)

A friend introduced cigarettes to me once and I had 6 in row one after the other (for fun I thought...).....had ulcer and burning mouth for a week! Never touced it again!
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

kk_lass
Reporter
Reporter

Post by kk_lass » Fri, 19 May 2006 12:19 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple,
i have heard from my friend that Gout can be cured..
LEVERAGE ~ The ability to do MORE and MORE with less and less

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 20 May 2006 7:21 pm

am I the only one thinking this was about something else...?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 20 May 2006 7:22 pm

EADG wrote:am I the only one thinking this was about something else...?

Not the whacky type, surely!

'nuff said Image