Singapore Expats

skin whitening for dull complexion

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 10 May 2006 8:09 am

Every time I see that gweipo looking woman on the SKII ads I get the shivers (she is Chinese, I believe) . . .

As SMS said, dead bodies look better.
One in the hand is worth two of something

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36 am

SKII is wildly popular across asia and I believe it is not due to the model they use, at least not the one I saw last December.

I believe you are talking about Qi Qi, hong kong actress. Don't get me wrong. Qi Qi is a beautiful woman. She has this girlish image and comes across as easy and carefree. I have seen her other pictures which look much better than the SKII ones, which is so ghostly-looking. She almost looks sickly to me. When I look at the models for other cosmetic brands, they too are fair (but not ghostly) but they also look radiant.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Sat, 13 May 2006 11:30 pm

In times gone by here in the UK the only way for women to look was white faced with no trace of a suntan, anywhere. We're talking up till about the 40's and 50's. That's because if you were tanned it showed that you did manual work, and no one wanted to own up to that, so the 'look' was whiter than white. (Not being snobbish, it's just how it was)

Then, it became fashionable to holiday abroad, and the rich were seen as taking every advantage of this. Plus the 60's gave the push to feminism and women thought, 'Sod this, I'll sunbathe if I want to' and lo and behold, now it's fashionable here to be brown brown brown.

It's all fashion led. They say it's fashionable to be as white as Nicole Kidman, and yes, she looks lovely, and will be last in line for skin cancer....but that makes little difference, the vast majority of girls here would rather go out in a tent than show a milk white body on the beach.

Weird world we live in.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 May 2006 11:49 pm

I understand where you are coming from, especially the manual labour versus academia/upper class striations of cultures. As I said, I am only speaking from a personal POV. I am curious as to why a person would rather look, and probably be, unhealthy than healthy. Agreed, a naturally fair person would have to look out for their skin when going out into the sun but again, sunshine (not chemical induced tans) in small quantities infuses the body with vigour, vitamins, and generally all-round healthy lifestyles.

Did you know if you have a cold/flue the best thing to do is spend a day at the beach swimming and horseing around in the sea? The sea salts will tend to dry up your sinuses the sun will give you a needed dose of vitamins and the exercise will act to work out the muscular aches that often accompany colds & flues. My best suggestions is to wear a heavy duty sunblock (PF 15 or better) you will still get a glow about you but wont be a bronzed goddess per se. And you'll be more healthy and more active :wink: as well - day or nighttime (or even both).

At the end of the day however, it's your, or their bodies to do as you all see fit. I'm not trying to make converts as much as trying to get people to just think rationally about what they are doing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Sun, 14 May 2006 2:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I understand where you are coming from, especially the manual labour versus academia/upper class striations of cultures. As I said, I am only speaking from a personal POV. I am curious as to why a person would rather look, and probably be, unhealthy than healthy. Agreed, a naturally fair person would have to look out for their skin when going out into the sun but again, sunshine (not chemical induced tans) in small quantities infuses the body with vigour, vitamins, and generally all-round healthy lifestyles.

Did you know if you have a cold/flue the best thing to do is spend a day at the beach swimming and horseing around in the sea? The sea salts will tend to dry up your sinuses the sun will give you a needed dose of vitamins and the exercise will act to work out the muscular aches that often accompany colds & flues. My best suggestions is to wear a heavy duty sunblock (PF 15 or better) you will still get a glow about you but wont be a bronzed goddess per se. And you'll be more healthy and more active :wink: as well - day or nighttime (or even both).

At the end of the day however, it's your, or their bodies to do as you all see fit. I'm not trying to make converts as much as trying to get people to just think rationally about what they are doing.

Word! 8-)
One in the hand is worth two of something

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Sun, 14 May 2006 7:20 pm

dull complexion?
time to eat more veg! :lol:

kokosharyln

Re: skin whitening for dull complexion

Post by kokosharyln » Fri, 19 May 2006 12:07 pm

1st of all, do you know wat's your skin color is before u say u become dark due to sun explosure? You can check on the areas that are usually cover by clothes.. if you say bum area skin is fair then add 1 tone darker to it should be your natural color tone for whole body.. if not look at inner wrist area.. our body no matter how fair or dark, we have same number of melanocytes. it is due to the melanin that are being produce by the melanocytes. If you have aredy tone down your skin color to your naturel color, you can't make it lighter anymore unless you bleach it.. [but do u wanna look like Mic. Jackson]
Fairer skin also mean need more care. easily prone to sunburnt.. Tend to look pale.. thus if want Fair and Radiance skin, health and intake of food, vitamins is also impt.. if not heathy, fair skin will reflect out the dullness..
Vit C is known for their whitening properties. thus skincare with Vit C will help to make skin fairer. However, due to the other ingredient in the products and the person's skin type, the result may shown at different length of time.
a cheaper way is, you can find those fruits rich in Vit C, smash n put on face.. botanical mask..
Example:
Cucumber
-Rich in vitamin
-For oily skin
-Cooling, whitening effect
-Put a thin layer of clay mask and put gauze then mashed cucumber
-Good for strain eyes

Lemon
-For oily, pigmentation
-Not for direct usage
-Squeeze out the juice and mix into clay or gel mask

shld you wish to tryout new whitening skincare range, I have a quality n awarding winning range to intro u.. you can drop me an email..
puzzled wrote:I've always have a problem that my face complexion is significantly darker (cos of constant sun exposure in the past) then my body's colour. Am now trying out on Biotherm's Whitening Detox C series..Anyone tried it before? How's the results like? Was thinking of trying out SKII whitening products, or maybe even bleaching my skin.

I desperately want a fair complexion!! :(

lemongrass

Skin whitening & radiance

Post by lemongrass » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 4:15 pm

I will strongly recommend you to take this organic juice that i am drinking regularly. My beautician from Alush day spa recommended me to take the kiwi&apple flavour which helps me in my complexion greatly. My friends say my skin look radiant these days :D Its excellent for skin whitening. Healthy and yummy!