Singapore Expats

Australian Mobile Phone

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Thu, 11 May 2006 9:14 pm

Over a year ago, we gave up and waiting the few months before we returned back to OZ to have it unlocked. We spent time on the phone trying to get Optus give us the code needed, Singtel couldn't help. We were afraid that the phone would be damaged by the guy trying to unlock it. It didn't kill us waiting, but we didn't like doing it either.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Thu, 11 May 2006 10:39 pm

Having a phone "unlocked" is a software thing, they just plug it into a PC & run some software. This process is done all the time by 2nd hand phone dealers as they make their business on buying & selling phones & they have to make sure that they can be used by any network. If you have the cables, the patience, the know how & google you could do it yourself, this is why I suggested a 2nd hand dealer, they know exactly what to do & do it often.

The risk is minimal, & it is much quicker (& cheaper) than asking your old network for an unlock code - trust me I went down that road as well.

:)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway