Singapore Expats

Beer and more beer....

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 2:55 pm

"No one likes to hear a lot of boastful comments on how good you've got it. Or, for that matter -- sweeping, inaccurate generalizations of expatriates living in Singapore."

MHB,

Nothing boastful about it at all...it's just the way it is. The packs I run with in Singapore include the E+P crowd, lawyers, finance, Marine folk etc. I don't really care what other people's situation is, I can only post recommendations or observations or comment on a view from my experience. I've been in Singapore for over 3 years now and I would tend to think that I have a pretty good idea of how certain groups of expatriates that live in Singapore and the Region live their lives as i am a part of it.

As you well know the E+P groups typically have club memberships at various golf courses, country/social clubs. There are literally just a hand full of bars and restaurants that we frequent as "regulars", some "cheap" and some not so cheap. I'm sure there are a bunch of people on this forum that are in the same boat. Just because I'm in Asia does that mean I have to stop eating Steak and Potatoes and pick up the fork and spoon or chop sticks because I don't want to appear boastfull?

So does this mean I shouldn't post anything on this forum that includes, golfing at the best courses around the Region, or 5 star accomodation experiences at various island destinations or Harley motorcyle interests or classic sports car collection or 5 star dining in Singapore or a general whinge about the Business and First Class service received on any particular airline, or requests for car and driver experiences around the Region, or yacht charters or fine wine import specials or Deep Sea fishing trips or The Orient Express rail trips or recommendations for the best TVs or computers or guitars or exclusive chefs and catering companies for a house party or the pros and cons of some of the penthouse apartments or condos in town, helicopter charters etc, because I would appear boastful and show how good I've got it?! These are the sorts of things that I as an Expat and an executive discuss within my circle of friends and collegues as we are in similar situations.

When asked for my opinion on where "cheap" beer may be, I only know of a couple that I personally consider "cheap". Maybe it's expensive for others maybe it's not...I don't really care, I'm just trying to share my experiences of Singapore with people that have asked for an opinion. If you are offended by that then I'm sorry for you. It's must be lonely way up there on your soap box!

Furthermore, I have been a lurker on this site for a while now and rarely post, because it seems every time a newbie posts on this site, the BS starts getting flung at them for being ignorant, intollerant or "American" as you so nicely put it. Why? Seems like a great way to discourage people from taking part in this Forum...once again...NICE!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 3:01 pm

Feel better now that you got that out of your system? It's not the content of your message, it's the way it's delivered. Hope your bubble doesn't burst up there where the air is rarified..

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 3:03 pm

My bubble never bursts! I do feel better though thank you for asking! :D

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:10 pm

Let me try to explain what MHB means (if I am right of course)...

The way you posted leads people to believe that ALL expatriates don't know what to do with their money because they are pampered by their companies.

First this is not true for everybody (and less and less true if you look at conditions offered to new expats).

And if it's true for you and others, fine, I hope you deserve it, but you should keep such information for yourself. Most o fthe people will only consider you as arrogant when you write it.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:19 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Let me try to explain what MHB means (if I am right of course)...

The way you posted leads people to believe that ALL expatriates don't know what to do with their money because they are pampered by their companies.

First this is not true for everybody (and less and less true if you look at conditions offered to new expats).

And if it's true for you and others, fine, I hope you deserve it, but you should keep such information for yourself. Most o fthe people will only consider you as arrogant when you write it.
Hey! This guy speaks better english than I do, n'est-ce pas? =D>

My thoughts exactly CD.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:28 pm

Of course, I learned English at school.

You learned American.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:32 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:You learned American.
Yes, and how to maintain my teeth and proper hygiene... :D

No offence intended...

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:42 pm

Of course it is not going to be true to EVERYONE...but it will be true for some of us, so why can't it be left at that? If I'm asked for an opinion I will give an opinion from my point of view just as I accept your opinons offered as well. I don't have to agree with it, I just accept it as your opinion. Different horses for different courses so they say. If a poster (i.e. MHB) views something as being arrogant why does it have to be "American" and get personal and start the fight off? That's where this is getting sticky, I could care less if I come across arrogant - I tried to caveat my comments by I don't mean any offence here, because I truly didn't, however this is my observation, experiences, recommendations etc...welcome to my world...then I get slammed on a personal level "I'm a Schmuck" for sharing my views because obviously I meant to disrespect everyone and everything and how "American" of me... that's the issue. This is a topic about cheap beer in Singapore and look at it now...Nice! :???:

Think I'm due a beer or two after this! Anyone know of a good cheap place to have a beer?

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Thu, 04 May 2006 4:56 pm

Uerm... how cheap is cheap? :)

You could choose the hawker centre for cheap beer, or Oosters for reasonably cheap beer, or The Post Bar @ Fulleton for alternative "cheap" beer? :P

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Thu, 04 May 2006 5:47 pm

Barczar wrote:... I could care less if I come across arrogant
Indeed...[/b]
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 04 May 2006 9:06 pm

Barczar wrote:I could care less if I come across arrogant
Don't get me wrong barczar, but it DOES sound a bit arrogant to say that... :wink:

Eric

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 11:39 pm

So I'm a little arrogant.......a little bit country and a little bit Rock N' Roll! 8-)