Singapore Expats

Winbledon still pays less money to women than to men.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
renter
Chatter
Chatter

Winbledon still pays less money to women than to men.

Post by renter » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 1:25 pm

Any discussions on this?

Wimbledon defiant over equal pay

Wimbledon has chosen to remain the only Grand Slam not to offer its men's and women's champions equal prize money.

The All England Club has unveiled its 2006 prize money with the men's winner earning £655,000 compared to the £625,000 first prize for the women.

Last month, French Open organisers announced that for the first time they would reward their champions equally.

The other two majors - the Australian and US Opens - have been long-time supporters of equal prize money.

The total prize pot at Wimbledon tops £10m, with the singles prize money increased by 4% since 2005.

The 2005 women's champion Venus Williams was disappointed that organisers did not announce equal prize money for this year's event and did not rule out the possibility of players taking further action.

"We want to be treated equally as the men. This is not just about women's tennis but about women all over the world," she told BBC Sport.
We believe that what we do at the moment is actually fair to the men as well as to the women
All England Club chairman Tim Phillips
"At Wimbledon we would like to have equal prize money to prove that we are equal on all fronts.

"We will keep lobbying on the matter. We don't want to deprive fans from seeing women's tennis but we are willing to be extremely proactive in our stance."

The WTA Tour, which has been long lobbying for equal pay, accused Wimbledon of taking a "Victorian-era view" on the subject.

Chief executive Larry Scott added: "In the 21st century, it is morally indefensible that women competitors in a Grand Slam tournament should be receiving considerably less prize money than their male counterparts."

But All England Club chairman Tim Phillips defended the decision not to award equal pay.

"This issue is one of a judgment on fairness," he said.

"We believe that what we do at the moment is actually fair to the men as well as to the women.

Phillips said because of the physical demands of best-of-five matches, the top men rarely play in Grand Slam doubles events and they earn less overall than women, who often compete in singles, doubles and mixed doubles.

"It just doesn't seem right to us that the lady players could play in three events and could take away significantly more than the men's champion who battles away through these best-of-five matches.

"We also would point that the top 10 ladies last year earned more from Wimbledon that the top 10 men did.

"We don't see it as an equal rights issue."
Women should get paid less, are on court for less time and play less sets than the men
From BM
The BBC, who announced recently that major matches at Wimbledon will be shown in high definition as part of its pioneering trial, has also said that the nightly highlights programme on BBC2 will have a new time.

The programme will now start at 2000 BST, immediately following the live action, instead of 2130, and will be repeated before play starts on the following day.

The All England Club has also confirmed that the existing east side of Centre Court will be demolished after the Championships as part of the plan to build a retractable roof.

A new fixed roof will be in place for the 2008 Championships with the retractable roof to be completed the following year.

It also said that new stands would increase the court's capacity from 13,800 to 15,000.

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bunty » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 2:19 pm

I agree with some observations made.

women play best of 3
women play in multiple events

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 4:12 pm

That motivation is bullsh*tt Bunty.

As if they get paid for the amount of energy they put up....

It's marketing money, they get paid because of their media value, nothing to do with the work they deliver.

And whether it is 655K or 625K, I get sick to the extreme when Venus Williams reacts like that, what a selfish nonsense. These people have long gone totally nuts, no sense of the real world at all.

Sportsmen should be paid like you and me, not a dime extra.

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 4:53 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: Sportsmen should be paid like you and me, not a dime extra.

Eric

Still no income, Eric? :)

'nuff said Image

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 2:44 pm

You get paid what your worth.

Why pay womens tennis players the same as male players at Wimbledon?

Waste of money and the advertisers know it.

Now, on the other hand, if the women played naked or bare chested, then I could accept the premise for paying them a bit more and so would the sponsers as more people would be interested in them. This could even mena that they get paid more the male players in the long run.

(It would also mean that we would have to change the traditional court side dish to beer/peanuts instead of strawberry/cream - Actually I think this is a win win situation)
Be Like Water

JayV

Post by JayV » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 9:57 pm

Since it is eventually us the tennis fans who pay the prize money, I think it makes sense to hand out a larger proportion to the winners who render a better performance and entertainment value. Sadly, quality in the women's tennis nowadays is mediocre at its best and miserable for most of the time. The gents are fairing much better and I'll write my cheque to them.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:56 pm

Perhaps they should pay the top 10 players a certain amount for each set they get instead of having an overall prize amount....that'd keep them on their toes.

Or they only get paid at all if they are naked, as Banfa suggests, although I would want that to apply to the men too....much more entertainment when the umpire shouts "new balls please".

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sun, 30 Apr 2006 3:32 pm

Loops wrote:although I would want that to apply to the men too....much more entertainment when the umpire shouts "new balls please".
Fairs fair - Totally agreed
Be Like Water

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 30 Apr 2006 8:19 pm

Loops wrote:much more entertainment when the umpire shouts "new balls please".
i always thought "love all" was the cutest phrase in tennis.

wouldn't it be nice if everyone took it literally... :D

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 01 May 2006 2:23 am

Dream on girl... :wink:

Eric