Singapore Expats

English food

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
wirby

English food

Post by wirby » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 3:26 pm

Does anyone know if there are any English food shops in Singapore? :wink:
Wirby

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 3:32 pm

what are you looking for exactly?

faggots? tripe? or just roast beef & yorkshire puddings?

Narrow it down & we may be able to help :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

wirby

Post by wirby » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 3:56 pm

I am looking for ANY English food..... like english loaf Heinz Baked Beans anything really :lol:
Wirby

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 4:03 pm

Wow. You must really be new. Have you not gone to the grocery store yet? Or maybe have not even arrived? There is 'english' food in almost every market in town. Different grocery stores cater to differnt ethnicities, but English food abounds. No worries there.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: English food

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 4:05 pm

wirby wrote:Does anyone know if there are any English food shops in Singapore? :wink:
You got to be kidding....

Ain't you soooo happy you got away from it finally? :D

Eric

wirby

Post by wirby » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 4:10 pm

LOL :lol: ... was only wondering. I havent moved to Singapore as yet, I currently live in France. I absolutely love Chinese food and I have never been to Asia before, so I am just gathering information..... :wink:
Wirby

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 4:23 pm

I doubt 'Chinese' food here will be much like you are used to. Yes grocery stores here are very multicultural if you look around you will find most foods easily available.

wirby

Post by wirby » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 4:27 pm

Yeah I have heard that it is very different.
Wirby

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:48 pm

OI, An Enlishman living in France... and worried about getting English food when he comes to Singapore. You poor sod. Is the brainwashing in the English schools THAT GOOD? FOR GOD'S SAKE LAD - WAKE UP!!!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

wirby

Post by wirby » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 1:00 am

LMAO, that is just so funny, you should take up stand up comedy!!! :lol: All I wanted to know was whether there was any English food in Singapore - thats all. I am not bothered at all what the food is like as I understand that food is different in every country and I dont think I am doing any wrong in asking this question since I have never been to Singapore. Im a WOMAN by the way not a LAD.
Wirby

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 3:45 pm

Do not fret, you can get heinz beans here, there are a few supermarket chains that supply all sorts of things from HP sauce to chedder cheese. The bread takes a bit of getting used to as it seems a bit sweeter.

But we do have Carrefour if you are from France that should ring bells

:) You will not starve
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

wirby

Post by wirby » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah I know Carrefour, the bread in France is the same, although a nice fresh Baton is delicious :P .
Wirby

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:08 pm

The supermarket bought sliced bread here is horrible and sweet, but the fresh bread can be nice. I buy it, slice it, wrap it in cling film and bung it in the freezer so it keeps (we sometimes have a problem with ants which seem to like it which is why I freeze it)

You can get alot of Brit food here, I found Walkers crisps the other day in the supermarket (expensive, but worth it). Some supermarkets stock Waitrose food and we have Marks and Spencers too for mainly dry and tinned stuff.

wirby

Post by wirby » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:21 pm

Thanks for your help... :D I really appreciate it.
I can understand it being expensive as English food over here in France is very expensive.
Wirby

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:53 pm

JASON'S in TANGLIN MALL will have pretty much everything you need - and if you need crap pub food - try Father Flannagans or Muddy Murphy'w
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson