Singapore Expats

Is sg safe for western females?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Lil' Miss Lolla_lee_loo

Post by Lil' Miss Lolla_lee_loo » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 1:32 am

Agree with bubbles... whole-heartedly agree :) If one were to compare the seedy areas in Amsterdam to S'porein general, it's like a world of difference... so no worries lady... but like bubbles said, just be vigilant... and be discerning... :D
Know the self to be sitting in the chariot, the body to be the chariot, the intellect the charioteer, and the mind the reins...

~ Veda Upanishads~

sora~chan

Post by sora~chan » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 8:45 pm

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you. (aaaa was intended ;) ) well what to say i'm more than confinced i think that SG compared to Sydney is a much safer place. Thank you everyone for all youre input if you still wish to discuss it feel free, i am so happy to have beeen lucky enough to have such great advice from such wonderful people, i just want to make it claear that i wasent trying to put SG down in anyway shape or form, i am looking forward to my trip with great antisipation look out SG sora chan is on the loose and ready to work and have some serious fun.... :D (peace sign)aa

from sora chan

email: [email protected]

christopher

Post by christopher » Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:29 pm

If we divide 'harrassment' into 'work place and 'on the street', we have 2 different scenarios and explanations.

Harrassment in the local workplace, by local men, tends to stem more from lain old 'ignorance' rather than a need to exert dominance or exercise malice. Take the yahoos here at my agency; 3 of the studio staff mounted a whole wall-full of bikini posters (pamela anderson, zhang zhiyi et al) and that was 'okay'. But the final poster featured a comely woman with bared breasts staring down her own panties (peekaboo!). Mind you, one of my art directors is female and she would have had to face that poster every time she turned her chair around.

None of the guys saw anything wrong in what they'd done. even my art director mumbld that she was 'used to it'. But when I pressed her further, she let slip that she wasn't totally comfortable with it. So, i got the lads to take that poster down. Lotsa protest too, until I reminded them that if it was their own SISTER or GIRLFRIEND facing such an uncomfortable situation, they'd be rushing to tear down the picture themselves.

Ahhhhh, that did the trick. They understood then. No resentment, all understanding. And no hard feelings either. (Sorry couldn't resist that last one).

On the STREET, you're more likely going to be stared at for 2 reasons:
1) You're a hot girl. (subjective)
2) You're a hot FOREIGN girl. (undeniable).

Some of those stares are going to be leering, some just curious - all appreciative, not that it helps. But if you don't feel a need to cross the street to scold a buncha goggle-eyed chaps, your only course of action would be to continue walking with head held high.

Same as you would in any other part of the world.

The local men are GENERALLY respectful when it comes to street oggling. Look but no touch. If you encounter anyone that physically threatens you, simply call 999 (police) and report it. SPECIFICALLY use these words:

1) He's threatening me with violence.
2) I'm scared there's going to be a fight here.

Key words: threatening, violence and fight. When the local cops hear those words, they turn up mos koshi. And since Singapore is a small island, there's no escape.

chris
One should never speak of the dead unless to say a good thing.

eg: "It's a good thing he's dead."

sora~chan

Post by sora~chan » Tue, 14 Sep 2004 7:46 pm

thanks, i agree with what you told them, about "what if it was youre sister or gf" i could see myself saying the same thing in that situation ^_^ thanks for the advice thats what i needed to know finally someone who can tell me whats good and bad phewf *wipes forehead* you see the reason why i asked was i am forigen, reasonable looks and well i have large "womanly features" so i am quite weirey of new places. Especially when my friend told me what happened to her. As i'm sure you ould understand i was a little scared... ahhhh *sigh* thanks. you are so kind, everyone who replyed to this post has a valid point and i have taken in all the information given. I wont have a problem in the workplace because my bf would be up in a flash LOL. Ahhhhh, well feel free to reply k?

luv n peace, from sora chan

foreigngirl

Post by foreigngirl » Wed, 29 Sep 2004 4:12 pm

ive been in singapore for about a month now... and i have encountered men oggling and whistling when i walk by on the street during the day. sometimes ive even caught a few staring at my chest. honestly, i think it is very rude. now i dont think im inappropriately dressed or anything, but i ignore the catcalls and the stares- at some point it can get annoying- but as long as they dont touch or make any attempt to then let it go. ive lived in much -erm- scarier places (yes like the bronx and sao paulo)... and from living in places like those ive learned that as long as youre always on your toes and aware of whatever is happening around you, then youll be okay.

Re: Is sg safe for western females?

Post by Guest » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 6:19 pm

sora~chan wrote::oops: Hi fellow expats,

My name is Sky, I am a little curious as to the saftey for white females in sg. I have herd some bad memories from a close friend of mine, I just couldent imagine a country so lovely as sg to be like that.... :roll: any information that you could give to me would be much apreciated

Thank you, take care

www.navexpress.com
don't think you will encounter much sexual harressment in law-abidding singapore. the laws are so ridiculously inclined to protect the fairer sex.probably a few stares if you got great boobies or a nice arse. but generally nothing more than that.
its probably the only place in the world that hangs the guy without trial the moment a woman screams haressment , nevermind if she weights 300pounds,looks like a hippo and was the one who starts rubbing herself against him the moment he enters the pub...

asaciel

Post by asaciel » Sun, 03 Oct 2004 8:06 pm

Dear all,

i think we have over blown safety a little bit.

Old aunties were rob in the lift BECAUSE she was wearing a big gold chain.

A woman was murdered because she was wearing quite a bit less when she went jogging at the reservoir. Which the place was ...no one else goes there.

There are crimes going about ...but what we girls should do is to avoid dark alleys and too quiet places.

I hope this explaination is ok? This happens at any places or any country.

asaciel

Post by asaciel » Sun, 03 Oct 2004 8:09 pm

Oh ya, talking about manga and anime.

I know of a very good place, PM me or something if you do read Chinese. If not, Kinokuniya best place. Original Japanese words.

Kimmy

Post by Kimmy » Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:57 pm

asaciel wrote:Dear all,

i think we have over blown safety a little bit.

Old aunties were rob in the lift BECAUSE she was wearing a big gold chain.

A woman was murdered because she was wearing quite a bit less when she went jogging at the reservoir. Which the place was ...no one else goes there.

There are crimes going about ...but what we girls should do is to avoid dark alleys and too quiet places.

I hope this explaination is ok? This happens at any places or any country.
Hi, I am new to this forum and stumbled onto this thread.

I agree with asaciel & indeed we as females have our own part to play to avoid trouble.

Mishap really befall on one of my relatives. My aunt was robbed sometime last year in the lift after work but she was not wearing any glittering metal though. Fortunately, not much valuables were lost and more importantly she was not injured. However she did get the shock of her life and it is something that she will never forget easily. Shortly after, my aunt's family moved to a new environment.

To provide my aunt with a peace of mind, her son went ahead to install an ADT security system in his house. My aunt was made to carry a remote control similar to that of a car alarm. So if she met with the same mishap in the lift again, she can press a panic function on the remote to sound off the alarm back in the house. In this sense, the family members, the ADT command center as well as the police will be alerted. Now, my aunt has got more confidence in returning home alone late in the night.

The reason why I know so much is because my husband installed the system in our lovely home after the incident too. He is afraid something similar would happen to me too. So just for precaution. From here, i somehow feel that my husband love me dearly. :oops:

If anyone of you ladies want to know more of the system, you can visit http://www.geocities.com/sinclone/g_main.html or contact the agent that serviced us. He is a very helpful and friendly guy. His name is William (9451 9457). You can mention my name and hopefully he will give you a better deal. Hee hee

Sorry for being so lengthy, just can't help to share something good with you ladies out there. :oops:
1 shot 1 love!

Kimmy

Dead thread?

Post by Kimmy » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 4:58 pm

:cry:

Hmm is this thread dead already? Or Did I came in too late?
1 shot 1 love!