Singapore Expats

How many Cabin Crew members???

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
simmy

How many Cabin Crew members???

Post by simmy » Wed, 19 Apr 2006 7:59 pm

Can anyone tell me how many cabin crew members work on each flight? I have checked on all Airline company information but I don't seem to get hold of any specific information.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 19 Apr 2006 8:39 pm

Depends on the size of the plane and company economics. For example 747's used by SIA used to have a cabin crew of 17. However, to reduce costs there is now only 16 or at least that was the situation last time I flew SIA.

Plavt.

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Matt10 » Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:33 pm

At the Singapore Science Centre, it says the average is 14 members.

But i know that some flights are 17 or more.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:23 pm

From what I research, A340-500s have 14 cabin crew with a crew/passenger ratio of 1:9 in Raffles and 1:23 in Executive Economy, compared to 1:13 and 1:32 on the B747-400s.

I might be wrong though.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

simmy

Post by simmy » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks for the information you guys this has definitely answered my question.

THANKS!!!

:D :D :D :D

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 9:55 pm

I think on A340-300 there should be minimum 15 crew..Maximum will be 21..I saw on news around 20 FA from SQ walking in the airport shot by a cameraman...Hop this answers your queries.. :D
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:40 pm

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:I think on A340-300 there should be minimum 15 crew..Maximum will be 21..I saw on news around 20 FA from SQ walking in the airport shot by a cameraman...Hop this answers your queries.. :D
20 would be too many don't you think? In fact most airlines have even lesser number of crews onboard than SIA.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 1:13 am

singaporegrrl wrote:
sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:I think on A340-300 there should be minimum 15 crew..Maximum will be 21..I saw on news around 20 FA from SQ walking in the airport shot by a cameraman...Hop this answers your queries.. :D
20 would be too many don't you think? In fact most airlines have even lesser number of crews onboard than SIA.
Correct Singaporegrrl even the Jumbos have a cabin crew of only 17 as I mentioned earlier.

Plavt.

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 1:08 pm

Oh really??..Hmm I think the 20 of them were on seperate planes or just coincidentally they met?

Well MEGATOP is the largest plane in SIA..So is the Airbus A380-500(MEGATOP)...Wonder what is Megatop.. :?

pandora

Post by pandora » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 1:35 pm

Megatop is the Boeing 747-400, aka Jumbo.

Airbus A380 is the largest passenger fleet in the world right now, with default capacity of up to 555 passenger. For SQ (A380-800), the capacity is about 480. It's double-deck all the way.

Since its capacity is more (Jumbo has about 375 seats), I guess it may require more crew than the 747.

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 4:36 pm

I think I'm right you guys..Jumbo also known as the B777-400 requires 17 crew while their seating capacity is 375?

Surely Airbus will need around 4 more cabin crew??
Does it makes sense that 347 seats compare to 555...

Well singaporegrrl if you think it's 20 is too much...I heard clearly in the news that SQ will be having 20-21 FA's on board the new Airbus A340-500.

That's last years news but I don't know if SQ changed the number of crew.

:wink:

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:24 pm

I think you're rather confused. A340-500s are single-deckers. So it makes sense that it has around 14 flight attendants on board while B747-400s, which have an additional about 1/3 upper-deck, have 2 or 3 more flight attendants. Since the upcoming A380-800s are fully double-deckers, it could have around 20 flight attendants. But obviously A340-500s can't have more than 15 flight attendants in service coz it's rather small.

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 5:51 pm

Lol...I think you;re right..

Ok A380 will need 21 FA...

left_hand_seat

Post by left_hand_seat » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 5:08 pm

[quote=\\"simmy\\"]Thanks for the information you guys this has definitely answered my question.

THANKS!!!

:D :D :D :D[/quote]

please! IF I may add a few words...
The number of operating cabin crew to be assigned in aircraft depends MAINLY on the number of doors /emergency exits lar!! Cabin crew primary role is safety,they are the ones trained & certified to operate the doors which will deply the emergency slides & raft ,so if u noticed, each exit will hav one crew seated there during take-off and landing! That is why onli able body passengers are allowed to be seated @ the emertgency exit row, so they can be quik to GET OUT OF E WAY or help de crew shud door be difficult to open due pressure.it HAPPENS, I tell you!
Didn't anyone hear me when I announcd \\" cabin crew, select doors to automatic\\"..hahahaha
\\" Cabin crew, take-off stations\\".

once that cabin crew seat is compromised, the airline will hav to reduce e number of passengers to be seated in tat area & this will hav to be reported to CAAS! Aircraft manufacturers are instructed by airlines on de number of Jumpseats to build in.
We had grown accustomed thinking tat cabin crew primary role is there to serve. aka the \\" coffee,tea or me\\" mentality but the truth is they are there for safety.which is why the cabin crew hav to pass the SEP, petaining to type!
if the airline wan to add more crew as in SIA ..then that is good for service standards but the minimum crew pertaining to type must satisfy CAAS AOCR.
sumtimes pple see more crew bekoz of OJT,deadheading so $seats hav to be blocked!

comprendez?.. :) hope this helps to set things clearer.
wahhh type so much.fingers tired..

dyslexic_alien

Post by dyslexic_alien » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:09 am

hahahha, finally Capt. When I first read the posts, I was like.. omg.. these "posters" sounded so dim! hahahah, yeah I totally agree with you that the main purpose of planting crew on a plane is to ensure the safety of the planes! not the coffee and tea shit!

Remember when air travel first started in history, the very first cabin crew had to be nurses! Why so? cos people are not used to flying, the the planes were primitive and highly sensitive to weather conditions, thus passengers get airsick very easily. Also, they had to be BELOW 5ft 3!! yes, BELOW. cos anyone taller than that will have difficulty manovouring the old little cabin!

Crewing has evolved so much over the days, adding more and more service protocols to the work and to some extent that even looks now play a part, its not hard to imagine why nowadays people (especially in asia with all the asian airlines) would only imagine that flight attendants are merely pretty but dim-witted trolley dollies. (personally I feel very sad for these warped images the masses hold)

anyways, before anyone ask you why you are called left hand seat, hahahah, maybe I will like to add:

Dear layman friends,
in the cockpit, the captain sits on the left and the first officer sits on the right if they are facing the nose of the plane.

Hope some of you are enlighted now.