Singapore Expats

Train to KL?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Train to KL?

Post by Em Eye » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 2:58 pm

Is there a train that goes from Singapore to KL? Not too keen to sit in a bus for 5 hours.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 3:04 pm

Yes, there is a train, takes about 7 hours. :P

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Eric

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Em Eye » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 3:08 pm

Thanks Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 4:23 pm

You must go on the train to KL at least once in your life, it's great fun. (Mind the little cockroaches on the seats though, lol)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 5:21 pm

If the cockroaches are not your taste of travelling, try the same stretch on this one:

http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/j ... 3_7140.jsp

Just a few more dollars needed.... :o

Eric

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Em Eye » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 8:19 pm

Ouch, puts it way out of my price range.

Bubbles, when did you do the train ride to KL?

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 4:38 pm

Hmm, Em Eye, could very well be that I'm out of touch with the condition of the trains to KL....but not the trains I was on about, they're great, just the little 'visitors' creeping on the seats now and again, lol.

Last time was about three years ago, but used to go quite reg ...starting 10 odd years ago and onwards from there.

I once drove from Sing to Kuantan...hubby doing it by bike, backroads etc and me to meet him there. Nightmare driving. Those lorries with bits falling off, or those oilcone type pineapple bulb things...(anyone know the correct name?) Palm oil I think....then them creeping up hills at 2 miles an hour...everyone overtaking like there's a nuclear war behind them....madness trip, so put me off for years going to KL by motorway, thought they'd be even crazier on that......but not so, quite a good drive actually and that's when I stopped train riding. But I love the train, I loved the peeps on it, so friendly, sharing their food, gossiping, interested in where you lived. I think Malaysians....(and Singaporeans whilst on that journey) were so, so much friendlier than normal. But it's the same the world over, perhaps taken out of our normal environment we can all be more laid back?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 7:48 pm

Singapore-KL by overnight isn't too bad. However, the aforementioned Sing-Kuantan drive has gotten a whole lot more pleasant since the first phase of the East Coast Expressway (Kerak-Kuantan) was opened in 1994.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague