Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Savoir

Post by Savoir » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:07 pm

Hi royce,

I totally agreed with your comments and i strong suggest singaporean esp. younger ones to voice out. Seeing ourselves as a small state, and simply because of a few black sheeps which potrait themselves as anti- foreigners because of XXX reasons.I recommand Forum users for this subject to use appropriate and non offensive statement which can tarnish one country name esp ours.

Therefore, one last thing that i will like to add is that equally for expats and locals. You bring along your identity to wherever you goes,for those who does not respect the local people and try not to adapt to their needs,will end up losing out.

Therefore,royce nice speaking to you esp. your strong point of view. If i were to have offended you in any way.

Best wishes to you and all Forum users and a Happy Chinese New Year.................

Post by 1964 » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 7:16 pm

This whole debate about resentment against expats revolves aruond the effects of globalisation. In the 80s and 90s expats were much more welcomed than these days. The economy is one issue. Another one is the fact that the influence of globalization is increasingly eradicating Asian culture in Singapore.
Does Singapore still enjoys a unique culture, an Asian culture? Not really. All we see in Spore is western / global culture. Understandably this loss of Asian culture is attributed to the western influence. And expats symbolize this influence more than anything else. Globalisation has brought prosperity to Sporeans but at the same time it has eradicated most of their cultural heritage. Expats are the best way to air this frustration. As long as this takes the form of giggling or laughing for irritation purposes thats ok. However the actual cultural problem should be at the heart of this debate.

Facts

Post by Facts » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 8:05 pm

You cannot opt for the best of both worlds. What to think of a majority of people here who truly believe that foreign labourers are part of the economic problems here. Its simply ridiculous. On top of that Sporean seem to be too stuck up to take up low level jobs. A highly qualified foreign workforce who enables the transfer of capital, knowledge and innovation is rather part of the solution not the root of evil. Nobody expects special treatment for expatriates. However I wished more locals would have the pride to treat and accept westeners in the same way as Chinese, Malays and Indians instead of complaining about expats in order to disguise their jealousy and frustration (about the economy).

Post by Guest » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 9:16 pm

Good point by 1964.

The irony is that we Caucs are saddened also by the Westernisation that takes place here in the Orient. I'm amazed at how quickly the scene in for instance Malaysia has changed. Nowadays it's kids in low-rider jeans and swanky tops all over the place, talking into their mobile and coveting stuff they can't afford. To each his own, for sure, but I sure miss all the elegant sarong-clad people that once were seemingly everywhere.

Globalisation is making us all look the same and it _does_ reduce the identity of a people. However, it's not something we Westerners strive for. We dislike it as much as the next guy.

Post by Guest » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 1:13 am

Tell me about it. In a couple of years it wont make much of a cultural difference whether you chill out in Dallas, Dubai or Singapore. Singapore is a relatively young nation and over time feelings of resentment against expatriats will fade away. I could imagine that some day Singapore might include caucasians in its 'official racial make up' (besides Chinese, Malay and Indian). Having said this we should be more cosmopolitan and dont read too much into so called local resentment specifically when we we are talking about trivial stuff like laughing or giggling at westeners.
After all the Spore Gvt promoted the Spore Smile at some point. :)

MrE

Post by MrE » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 6:27 pm

Hi Guest would you recall this female expat in this forum who is repatriating as her local colleaques are cornering her. Trivial stuff :?: Maybe for guy. I find it a shame. Hopefully she will have the strength and stay on. Otherwise her colleaques have achieved their objective of chasing her away. Probably not an isolated case. Cowardly and inferior behaviour.

local

Post by local » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 7:13 pm

Compliments to this forum for having the guts to provide a platform for the discussion of sensitive topics like this one. Which other forums dont lah.
I am a Singaporean who is mixing around quite a lot with caucasians and so I am quite interested in the issue which i find a meaningful discussion.
I tried to post this topic in the other big expat forum – expatsingapore.com--- but all I was facing is censorship... The expatsingapore.com administration were immediately censoring and erasing any kind of posting concerning the issue of expats/singapore relations. Shamful. The succesfull process of establishing a multicultural society of Chinese Malay and Indians in Singapore is because the issue was openly discussed and not just wipe away and censored.
Compliments to Singaporeexpats Forum. Shame on Expatssingapore Forum.

NBB

Post by NBB » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 2:59 am

Hi Local,

Too right. I frequented that forum until I, too, noticed that my posts were getting burried willy-nilly. In fact, there was never any warning or alert about it, they were just removed outright. I should say that these comments' only crime was that they were about what can be perceived as a sensitive issue, they were not at all inciteful or even incendiary.

I firstly voted with my keyboard i.e. I let it be known that Communism has long since died; they can't just hack out opinions that they don't like in order to mould the forum to their own personal style. And then I voted with my mouse, i.e. I left -- never to return there again.

The 'mediators' here take a much more natural, laissez-faire approach. I've seen a warning here and there, a snippet removed for being unnecessary vulgair, but nothing silly. I agree, kudos to them.

However, it would be better still if this forum was a little more lively; we could do with a greater influx of (regular) contributors, as many thread-starters peeter out too often with just a single (or even no) reply.

I wonder if the forum heads have any idea about what we can do to increase our virtual footprint, so as to draw in a bigger crowd. Any tips for us?

NBB

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 3:29 am

NBB wrote:I wonder if the forum heads have any idea about what we can do to increase our virtual footprint, so as to draw in a bigger crowd. Any tips for us?

NBB
Hi NBB, welcome to the forum!

I think as a relatively new board, we will need all the support from everybody. We urge all regulars to invite their family and friends who frequently chat online to come to this forum. Each and every new member helps to generate the traffic we need.

We had done our job of promoting the forum too. Try search in major search engines and you will find us.

I guess "time" is an important factor for the forum to be successful (the other major boards has been around for years).

By the way, thanks for your support :)

S1

Post by S1 » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 4:38 pm

Its our business who we want to laugh about and who not. This is Singapore ok.

Post by Guest » Tue, 23 Dec 2003 1:13 pm

S1 wrote:Its our business who we want to laugh about and who not. This is Singapore ok.
S1 is a narrow minded sparrow brain noob with a limited IQ

MC

Post by MC » Tue, 23 Dec 2003 8:20 pm

My dear Guest,
It seems as if you define your self-esteem and success in life in terms of the courage to laugh about caucasians. Probably you are rather a looser in life but thats a life time achievement - you are welcome to laugh if we can help you this way. At the same time you should consult a psychologist in order to treat you sickness. With sickness I mean symptoms of inferiority and fear. By the way you dont have to feel inferior to caucasians I am afraid we are just average folks like any other race. And many Singaporean know it better than you.
Merry Christmas and fast recovery from your sickness.

santa

Post by santa » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 6:57 pm

Merry Christmas MC. Dont be so harsh and let those Singaporean laught if they wish too. whatever in the world they wanna laugh about including white people.
Happy new year to all of you.

JK

Post by JK » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:24 am

Lets not focus on race. There are bound to be differences, Im a Singaporean living in England and just an hour ago there are people shouting abuse at me on Christmas Eve, prob drunk. Its just the way some ppl are, lets not get personal about it.. There are bound to be ignorant ppl everywhere, its just the way we handle it that set us apart. To all the foreigners living in Singapore, there are many more brilliant ppl out there.. dont focus on the unpleasants and you will live life the way it should be, to the fullest. Im still enjoying my stay in Engand and so shall u.

michael

Post by michael » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 5:14 pm

Totally agree JK. What unites people ís pride, character and respect. There are alway suckers around who dont have the self-esteem and the guts to accept people from different backgrounds. They are narrow minded and dumb and often not able to succeed in life at least not on a personal level.when you are happy with yourself and the world there is never an inspiration to resort to verbal abuse, mocking, laughing about foreigners and so on. Sometimes it seems that this world is becoming more and more (morally) uncivilized despite all the technical progress.