Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
redapple

Post by redapple » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:23 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
redapple wrote:my pleasure. please dont think too lowly of yourself. be confident. Hmm.. yes, try to send in. You will never know sometimes there's miracle. Oic.. Maybe you take up something you like alt its costly? Bcoz you can work in that industry after you dont want to be a flight stewardess when you are older next time.. who knows.. Or you are just thinking to get any courses 1st? If you keen to be a flight stewardess... i will recommend ya to try other airlines too. i have friends in emirates too... they are doing good too.. :0 just my 2 cents worth...
Yep I chose to aim that course because I have future plans with it and I don't want to waste my money on cheaper course which don't interest me. I fear I won't do well in it. About Emirates, yep I have a friend there too and she did assure me that I can't apply anytime soon. I'm 19 remember? :lol:
yeap yeap.. choose something you like to back yourself up.. hmm if you have interest, you will do well ..:) hmmm..i didnt know your real age.. pardon me..but you are so young!! *envy* i was starting to work when i was 19, n didnt think so much..hee... okok.. please take your time.. you have all the time on earth to try for new opportunities and go for it.. :)

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:58 pm

redapple wrote:
singaporegrrl wrote:
redapple wrote:my pleasure. please dont think too lowly of yourself. be confident. Hmm.. yes, try to send in. You will never know sometimes there's miracle. Oic.. Maybe you take up something you like alt its costly? Bcoz you can work in that industry after you dont want to be a flight stewardess when you are older next time.. who knows.. Or you are just thinking to get any courses 1st? If you keen to be a flight stewardess... i will recommend ya to try other airlines too. i have friends in emirates too... they are doing good too.. :0 just my 2 cents worth...
Yep I chose to aim that course because I have future plans with it and I don't want to waste my money on cheaper course which don't interest me. I fear I won't do well in it. About Emirates, yep I have a friend there too and she did assure me that I can't apply anytime soon. I'm 19 remember? :lol:
yeap yeap.. choose something you like to back yourself up.. hmm if you have interest, you will do well ..:) hmmm..i didnt know your real age.. pardon me..but you are so young!! *envy* i was starting to work when i was 19, n didnt think so much..hee... okok.. please take your time.. you have all the time on earth to try for new opportunities and go for it.. :)
Ya definitely *envy* alot :P
singaporegrrl, at least you are young and you have plenty of time to try, unlike me, I am already 26 yrs old turning 27 soon :oops:
and I knew that my chance is slim...

redapple

Post by redapple » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 2:01 pm

erieo wrote:
redapple wrote:
singaporegrrl wrote: Yep I chose to aim that course because I have future plans with it and I don't want to waste my money on cheaper course which don't interest me. I fear I won't do well in it. About Emirates, yep I have a friend there too and she did assure me that I can't apply anytime soon. I'm 19 remember? :lol:
Ya definitely *envy* alot :P
singaporegrrl, at least you are young and you have plenty of time to try, unlike me, I am already 26 yrs old turning 27 soon :oops:
and I knew that my chance is slim...
no worries, erieo

there's a ger who is 27 n married... was selected after management.. very lucky..so long you try...:0

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 6:02 pm

redapple wrote: no worries, erieo

there's a ger who is 27 n married... was selected after management.. very lucky..so long you try...:0

Wow! Serious?

Is she a new recruit or could it be that she has re-joined the crew?
I remembered reading somewhere in this forum mentioning that there is this scheme for married/gave-birth stewardess who still maintain the good figure etc to join back the cabin crew.

Hrmm not sure if it true but in any case, congratulation to her :lol:

redapple

Post by redapple » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:43 pm

erieo wrote:
redapple wrote: no worries, erieo

Wow! Serious?

I remembered reading somewhere in this forum mentioning that there is this scheme for married/gave-birth stewardess who still maintain the good figure etc to join back the cabin crew.

yes, i think she's new.. :) yeap.. lucky!

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:03 am

erieo wrote:Wow! Serious?

I think it was my post that mentioned that SIA introduced a "Flying Mother" agreement that allows former stewardesses who became mothers to return to flying. They must be at least of leading ranking when they resigned, their absence from duty must not exceed two years and they must be able to pass a refresher course and still be "in shape" in the SIA uniform. But 1 thing that most of us won't like is that, flying mothers will only be rostered for regional flights so that they could come home everyday to take care of their children. I'd prefer to stop for good when I become a mother.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 2:04 am

singaporegrrl wrote: SIA introduced a "Flying Mother" agreement
I think you may find this has been scrapped as other employees were trying to use the rostering in order to take exams amongst other things. There was an article in 'The Straits Times' some time ago but I have no way of retrieving it.

Plavt.

louisv

Post by louisv » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:24 am

My friend's friend failed her medical check for SIA. The doctor said she had hearing problems and failed her on the spot. She didn't even go for xray. Now she's writing an appeal to SQ for a re-examination. She was crying non-stop for these few days. it's really a waste since she has reached the final stage and all dream bursts in a mere second. :( Hope she can recover soon and walk on. Maybe there is better calling for her I guess.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:25 am

Early last year, in THE NEW PAPER, there was an article called COFESSIONS OF A FLIGHT STEWARDESS. She mentioned about the flying mothers and she also said that some of her team girls were pregnant and abort the baby because thay want to avoid being grounded.
10 April 2006

redapple

Post by redapple » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:16 am

louisv wrote:My friend's friend failed her medical check for SIA. The doctor said she had hearing problems and failed her on the spot. She didn't even go for xray. Now she's writing an appeal to SQ for a re-examination. She was crying non-stop for these few days. it's really a waste since she has reached the final stage and all dream bursts in a mere second. :( Hope she can recover soon and walk on. Maybe there is better calling for her I guess.
hmmm, i wondered why my friend didnt go through the hearing test. sigh, so near yet so far.. i could understand that... she shld seek medical help and appeal to SQ. Maybe they will let her go through after she recovered? :-|

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:48 pm

donno wrote:Early last year, in THE NEW PAPER, there was an article called COFESSIONS OF A FLIGHT STEWARDESS. She mentioned about the flying mothers and she also said that some of her team girls were pregnant and abort the baby because thay want to avoid being grounded.
Oh gosh!! Aborted the baby juz to avoid being grounded....OMG

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:50 pm

erieo wrote:
donno wrote:Early last year, in THE NEW PAPER, there was an article called COFESSIONS OF A FLIGHT STEWARDESS. She mentioned about the flying mothers and she also said that some of her team girls were pregnant and abort the baby because thay want to avoid being grounded.
Oh gosh!! Aborted the baby juz to avoid being grounded....OMG
Oh yah! I've read that article. It was around the month of July or August last year if I'm not wrong.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:56 pm

redapple wrote:
louisv wrote:My friend's friend failed her medical check for SIA. The doctor said she had hearing problems and failed her on the spot. She didn't even go for xray. Now she's writing an appeal to SQ for a re-examination. She was crying non-stop for these few days. it's really a waste since she has reached the final stage and all dream bursts in a mere second. :( Hope she can recover soon and walk on. Maybe there is better calling for her I guess.
hmmm, i wondered why my friend didnt go through the hearing test. sigh, so near yet so far.. i could understand that... she shld seek medical help and appeal to SQ. Maybe they will let her go through after she recovered? :-|
Ya agreed with Redapple,
Hi louisv, alternatively I think you can advise your frenz to get another medical examination from other doctor to verify on the hearing condition [You know sometime initial checkup may not be accurate]. Send the report together with the appeal letter to SQ for reconsideration??
Hopefully it helps..

Cheers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 4:07 pm

Louisv,
This may sound harsh but there is no point writing an appeal the airline employs its own doctor because she is trained in the requirements of the job and gets the last say.( e.g An airline doctor would know pilots need the use of their feet to operate the aircrafts brakes but other doctors might not). Had the doctor told your friend to get a letter from her own doctor that would have been different but clearly he did not.

Try to persuade your friend to apply for a ground job if you she really wants to work for the airline. Remember we cannot always have want we want in life and even if we acquire a job we like who is to say you will not lose it. Take a look at the pilots who go for medical check-ups every six months and it doesn't take much for them to fail. Not getting this job is not the end of the world even though I know it is so poplular amongst so many young ladies.

Once again do try to persuade your friend to investigate the possibitlies of a ground job which can after some time be quite rewarding and involve travel. Some of them mean you get to stay abroad for longer periods than the aircrew so try to persuade her.

Plavt.

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 6:09 pm

aborting the baby just to avoid being ground? hmm.... :o
"City of Ang3Ls"