Singapore Expats

Baghdad Blog

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Baghdad Blog

Post by CardZeus » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:56 am

An anonymous blog by a young woman in war-torn Iraq has been longlisted for BBC Four's Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction...

Worth a look...

http://www.riverbendblog.blogspot.com/
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:12 am

You mind if I am not interested in this horror... :oops:

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 5:01 pm

Interesting. I assume BBC4 have researched the origins and authenticity of the owner of the words. Whoever this is, she/he has great potential if they truly are the young person they claim to be, and not some adult professional scribe.
A thought provoking read.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Ecka Dimmock

Post by Ecka Dimmock » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 9:16 am

I didn't find it full of horror, just an interesting glimpse of life in a war zone. When all you see in the media is guns, bombs and fanatics, it's good to be reminded that ordinary people are trying to live lives in the midst of all of it: studying, working, celebrating birthdays etc.

It did cross my mind that the writing is surprisingly good, and in surprisingly good English for an average Joe - er, Jill.

Then again, who knows?

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 3:41 pm

Ecka Dimmock wrote:I didn't find it full of horror, just an interesting glimpse of life in a war zone. When all you see in the media is guns, bombs and fanatics, it's good to be reminded that ordinary people are trying to live lives in the midst of all of it: studying, working, celebrating birthdays etc.

It did cross my mind that the writing is surprisingly good, and in surprisingly good English for an average Joe - er, Jill.

Then again, who knows?
"About Riverbend
A lot of you have been asking about my background and the reason why my English is good. I am Iraqi- born in Iraq to Iraqi parents, but was raised abroad for several years as a child. I came back in my early teens and continued studying in English in Baghdad- reading any book I could get my hands on. Most of my friends are of different ethnicities, religions and nationalities. I am bilingual. There are thousands in Iraq like me- kids of diplomats, students, ex-patriots, etc.

As to my connection with Western culture… you wouldn’t believe how many young Iraqi people know so much about American/British/French pop culture. They know all about Arnold Schwarzenegger, Brad Pitt, Whitney Houston, McDonalds, and M.I.B.s… Iraqi tv stations were constantly showing bad copies of the latest Hollywood movies. (If it’s any consolation, the Marines lived up to the Rambo/ Terminator reputation which preceded them.)

But no matter what- I shall remain anonymous. I wouldn’t feel free to write otherwise. I think Salam and Gee are incredibly brave… who knows, maybe one day I will be too. You know me as Riverbend, you share a very small part of my daily reality- I hope that will suffice. "
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.