Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:55 pm

Plavt wrote:Just out of interest singaporegrrl do they SIA accept diplomas from private intstitutes? The reason I ask is in this country such qualifications would only be accepted from recognized institutions (those run by the state) making private endeavours a waste of time.

Plavt.
I'm not too sure about that coz I've heard of people with certain diplomas from private institutions getting their application accepted by SIA. I hope it'll be the same case for the diploma I'm pursuing.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Belle07

Hi ya...

Post by Belle07 » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:08 am

Hi ger..

I am sorry to hear that you are not being accepted into the local polytechnic. You are still young. Go for the private instution. Just dont stop studying. A good private institution is MDIS. And yes, SIA do accept MDIS cert coz i am a graduate from there. But the main thing is, find a course that you are really interested in. U dun want to waste the $$ and time rite?!
Well...juz giving you some advise. All the best. Lastly...its great to have someone young and sensible giving helpful and useful information to the others in the forum.
Keep up the good work ger....

Belle
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:17 am

Thank you so much. Sometimes, I believe that when we share information, in turn, somehow we are guiding ourselves. Of course I apologise for information that are misleading coz I always hope someone would share a better one. We'll learn from each other yah.

Well yeah I have a course in mind which I have actually aimed since last year. The course in polytechnic was a new one and I was hoping to get into polytechnic so that I could get subsidy compared to private institutions which cost a bomb! Well I guess it's back to my initial aimed private intitution then. It's not MDIS though.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 9:54 am

erieo wrote:
insight wrote:
Ginx wrote:Congratulations insight~ :D

Can I know what kind of questions were being asked during your mgmt round and tea party?

Even though the candidates who were eliminated during this round have the SQ look, what do you think were lacking in them that caused them to be eliminated?

thanks loads!
Thanks Ginx! Alright, all the ques being asked were trying to focus almost exclusively on ur personal qualities, whether u r wat the airline looking for. No situations ques for me, but do expect them. There are no definite right or wrong ans, try to ans them from the airline's point of view, and show them that u r genuine. The way u express ur ans is also v important. Speaking in a flat or monotonous way will not impress them. Besides speaking fluently, u got to speak enthusiastically with most of the time, having eye-contact with the interviwers. Most of the ques i would say are not really difficult. If u r really keen to be an air stewardess, of course u will take the initiatives to find out what's the role of a cabin crew. yup, this was one of the ques being asked frequently. Also y do u want to be a cabin crew?? It is crucial you consider this question both from your own, and the airline’s perspective. If for example all you want is travel, and you cannot convince your interviewers that you would enjoy looking after their passengers & be part of their team, then you are gg to lose out. From my past experiences, hw do i handle difficult customers? Any complaints? State examples. These are personal experiences and if u r one who understand good customer services and ur customers are always satisfied with ur service, then u should know hw to ans.... The rest u gotta do some homework gal! :)

Tips: What u gonna ans, backup with examples. Bec thr my answers, they asked another lists of questions!

Well, for the gals whom din make it, i would say some have the looks (looks only play a small part), and thr conversation, i think they hv no problems with their english. So i guess the interviewers looked into personalities and sincerity!

Alright Ginx, Hopefully this might help!

Insight :wink:
Hi Insight,

First of all, congratulation to you!

Well, for those gals with the SQ look and no problem with their English but didn't make it, beside sincerity and personalities, do you think it could be some other factors i.e age and qualification?

Am jus curious if age plays a crucial part becoz I came across the forum mentioning girls above 25 usually don't make it to the final..:(

Thanks

Hi erieo,

I guess it all depends on your personality and luck . Cos base on the last week Round 3 swimming confidence and skin check round , i got to know a girl during that day...guess what, she is 27...and of coz she managed to proceed to Mgmt interview. However, frankly speaking she doesn't look like 27 at all. She looked like 23++...I was shocked when she told me she was 27.. :oops:
Beside that i got a frd who she told me that she happen to see the name list who attended the Round 3 and most of the candidates are born in the yr of 1982-1984 and there is only about 2-3 candidates are in the year of 1978 +

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:25 am

zoergal wrote:
erieo wrote:
insight wrote: Thanks Ginx! Alright, all the ques being asked were trying to focus almost exclusively on ur personal qualities, whether u r wat the airline looking for. No situations ques for me, but do expect them. There are no definite right or wrong ans, try to ans them from the airline's point of view, and show them that u r genuine. The way u express ur ans is also v important. Speaking in a flat or monotonous way will not impress them. Besides speaking fluently, u got to speak enthusiastically with most of the time, having eye-contact with the interviwers. Most of the ques i would say are not really difficult. If u r really keen to be an air stewardess, of course u will take the initiatives to find out what's the role of a cabin crew. yup, this was one of the ques being asked frequently. Also y do u want to be a cabin crew?? It is crucial you consider this question both from your own, and the airline’s perspective. If for example all you want is travel, and you cannot convince your interviewers that you would enjoy looking after their passengers & be part of their team, then you are gg to lose out. From my past experiences, hw do i handle difficult customers? Any complaints? State examples. These are personal experiences and if u r one who understand good customer services and ur customers are always satisfied with ur service, then u should know hw to ans.... The rest u gotta do some homework gal! :)

Tips: What u gonna ans, backup with examples. Bec thr my answers, they asked another lists of questions!

Well, for the gals whom din make it, i would say some have the looks (looks only play a small part), and thr conversation, i think they hv no problems with their english. So i guess the interviewers looked into personalities and sincerity!

Alright Ginx, Hopefully this might help!

Insight :wink:
Hi Insight,

Well, for those gals with the SQ look and no problem with their English but didn't make it, beside sincerity and personalities, do you think it could be some other factors i.e age and qualification?

Am jus curious if age plays a crucial part becoz I came across the forum mentioning girls above 25 usually don't make it to the final..:(

Thanks

Hi erieo,

I guess it all depends on your personality and luck . Cos base on the last week Round 3 swimming confidence and skin check round , i got to know a girl during that day...guess what, she is 27...and of coz she managed to proceed to Mgmt interview. However, frankly speaking she doesn't look like 27 at all. She looked like 23++...I was shocked when she told me she was 27.. :oops:
Beside that i got a frd who she told me that she happen to see the name list who attended the Round 3 and most of the candidates are born in the yr of 1982-1984 and there is only about 2-3 candidates are in the year of 1978 +

Thanks Zoergal and Insight,

So did she make it to the final? I sincerely hope she does. At least it has shown age is not the main concern and defintely boost up alot of confidence for those gals who were born in late 70's.

Insight, do share wif us on your training experience at STC if it's possible.
Wonder do they teaches swimming for those that aren't good in water..??

Thanks

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:40 am

erieo wrote:
zoergal wrote:
erieo wrote: Hi Insight,

Thanks

Hi erieo,

Thanks Zoergal and Insight,

So did she make it to the final? I sincerely hope she does. At least it has shown age is not the main concern and defintely boost up alot of confidence for those gals who were born in late 70's.

Well, I shall inform u of the good new cos she is yet to attend her mgmt interview. .as far as i know her mgmt interview most probably will be on April... :wink:

Insight, do share wif us on your training experience at STC if it's possible.
Wonder do they teaches swimming for those that aren't good in water..??

Thanks

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:33 pm

zoergal wrote:

Well, I shall inform u of the good new cos she is yet to attend her mgmt interview. .as far as i know her mgmt interview most probably will be on April... :wink:

Thanks
[/quote]

Hello Zoergal,

Wow, are you the same batch with her? If so, I wish both you gers best of lucks in mgmt interview :D

prince

Post by prince » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 3:34 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
Plavt wrote:Just out of interest singaporegrrl do they SIA accept diplomas from private intstitutes? The reason I ask is in this country such qualifications would only be accepted from recognized institutions (those run by the state) making private endeavours a waste of time.

Plavt.
I'm not too sure about that coz I've heard of people with certain diplomas from private institutions getting their application accepted by SIA. I hope it'll be the same case for the diploma I'm pursuing.
yup, they do accept private diplomas...

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 8:16 pm

But i think, in the future, SIA will be more strict where they will only accept Polytechnic Diploma. Poly diploma and some private diplomas are quite different. For example, Poly Diploma normally has 30 to 40 modules altogether while a private diploma has about 8 modules(my friend's diploma). However, I'm sure that some other diploma programmes are equally good as poly ones.
10 April 2006

louisv

Post by louisv » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 8:48 pm

Heard from my friend that the elimination rate during mgt interview ia quite bad. sigh.

louisv

Post by louisv » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 8:57 pm

Is the medical checkup right after the tea session?

redapple

hiya

Post by redapple » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 9:55 pm

hiya everybody :)

i am new to this forum and i am glad everyone here was really helpful to exchange information and i hope i am help here too. :D

[quote]
Is the medical checkup right after the tea session?

yes, the medical checkup is after the tea session..in fact you are suppose to go for the medical checkup anytime within a week for the medical report. After your medical is cleared, SIA will call for arrangement in regards of the bond. :wink:

trinkflasche

Age and Education

Post by trinkflasche » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:08 pm

Plavt: I never mentioned I was an air stewardess. :) Thank you for your compliment about aiming higher... oh well. I presume that's a compliment anyways.

Age: SIA do make exceptions. They do accept applicants over 25 years old. Apparently the cut off is 28. The oldest girl in training now is 28 years old.

Education: There is a girl with O levels who got through the interviews recently. There must be at least 5 O level passes. English pass is a must.

Yes, you must speak well, smile all your might and have proper grooming.

Good luck future SQ girls! Irregardless of what others say. Try it, live it and move on. Don't expect it to be easy though ;)

ta

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Age and Education

Post by Plavt » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 2:04 am

trinkflasche wrote:
Education: There is a girl with O levels who got through the interviews recently. There must be at least 5 O level passes.

The qaulification requirement is two 'A' levels plus two 'O' levels.

From: Sia's website :GCE ‘A’ Levels (2 ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper)/Diploma and above preferred

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... etails.jsp

This is just to clarify today's requirements. (perhaps the girl with 'o' levels had 'A' level equivalent grades?)

Best Wishes,

Plavt.

trinkflasche

Not to get your hopes too high

Post by trinkflasche » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:41 pm

Hi Plavt, thanks for the clarification regarding education qualifications. Yes I read the link, but I'm just saying that SIA just did accept a girl with O level quali only.

Well, not to get the hopes too high for some hopefuls out there... but there're always exceptions. I'm sure this girl had qualities that SIA wouldn't miss out on regardless of her qualifications.