Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 6:40 pm

Plavt wrote:ryanstarr,
Don't want to put you off applying but hope you have given a lot of thought to your application as there will be an enormous cultural difference, some of which may come as a shock. Although maybe that's one of the reasons you chose to apply in the first place. Should be young enough and have the abilites you would at least get the possible oppurtunity of becoming a pilot, which it seems is an unlikely prospect with SIA. There are other things I could mention but not here for the moment. Take good care of yourself.

Plavt.
I've heard that some European flight attendants continued their service with the company by upgrading themselves to become pilots. Is this true?
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 7:20 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
Plavt wrote:ryanstarr,
Don't want to put you off applying but hope you have given a lot of thought to your application as there will be an enormous cultural difference, some of which may come as a shock. Although maybe that's one of the reasons you chose to apply in the first place. Should be young enough and have the abilites you would at least get the possible oppurtunity of becoming a pilot, which it seems is an unlikely prospect with SIA. There are other things I could mention but not here for the moment. Take good care of yourself.

Plavt.
I've heard that some European flight attendants continued their service with the company by upgrading themselves to become pilots. Is this true?
I don't know about upgrading but it may well have happened. About two years ago British Airways had twelve female pilots two of which were captains. There is at least one female captain on Virgin Airlines whose voice I have heard on more than once on my home scanner (perfectly legal) and one that I know of on EasyJet. Will let you know more if I can somehow find the present day numbers. United has more than one female pilot one I met in a pub in London. Looks like you girls should start orgainizing 'womens lib' Singapore style.

:P :P :P

Plavt.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 7:35 pm

2 years ago I went for the Outward Bound Singapore(OBS) 21-day programme. The batch before mine was those from the Singapore Flying College and I later found out the OBS 21-day programme was part of their Cadet Pilot programme. Out of a group of 16 in a batch, 1 of them was a female. So I guess there are chances for females to apply for SIA Cadet Pilot.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 7:42 pm

By the way, what does a inflight supervisor does?
What is the top designation in the cabin crew department?

louisv

Post by louisv » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 7:55 pm

Can any pro here highlight the role of a cabin crew?
cheers :D

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:00 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:2 years ago I went for the Outward Bound Singapore(OBS) 21-day programme. The batch before mine was those from the Singapore Flying College and I later found out the OBS 21-day programme was part of their Cadet Pilot programme. Out of a group of 16 in a batch, 1 of them was a female. So I guess there are chances for females to apply for SIA Cadet Pilot.
There is at least one female pilot I know of in Singapore but she works for SilkAir. Last time I saw her was in 2004, so there is hope yet. Not sure why SIA and JAL still don't have any female pilots although it may be worth mentioning 60% are expats.

Plavt.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:27 pm

type cabin crew in the yahoo search bar...there are tons of description of a cabin crew's role...

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:41 pm

Yup there are plenty of women commercial airline pilots out there. There are those who fly the cargo arm as well.

The thing is not all those who graduate to become pilots will fly commercial jets ( passenger jets ). Some will be seconded to flying cargos etc....

when you dream of flying, it shouldn't matter what type of aircraft you fly.

Singaporegrrl, I strongly suggest you do give becoming a pilot serious thought. You sound sensible enough and mature for someone your age. You ask the right questions and you give brilliant answers, through what you know and research.

I am very sure if you become an FA, you will absolutely rise to the top within a reasonable ( that means - a short time ). So even if you choose this route to realise your dream of flying....

you will succeed nonetheless.

Of course you won't be limited to flying commercial airlines as an FA. With experience, you could move on to becoming a cabin crew for private airlines/individuals. Flying for VIPs, VVIPs and whole bunch Vs :wink:

Same goes for a pilot.

I personally know of 3 ladies who started out as an FA for commercial airlines and now they are assisiting in the running of business organisations. They moved on to become a cabin member of certain elite individuals and proved their mettle, impressed their bosses and was given the opportunity to move up in the company.

.... and one of them is a Singaporean as well.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:44 pm

I have to agree with Tiki singaporegrrl, you should aim higher than a stewardess (as I said earlier -don't know if you saw my post). With what you have shown here very likely when you get to the interview they might well consider you 'over-qualified'. Keep up the good work, always good to know somebody is making good use of the resources available.

Plavt.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:48 pm

Cheers for Sggrrl....
Seriously, i think you are totally ready for a FA interview...
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 8:53 pm

There is a lady who is a pilot for SIA i'm not sure whether she is 1st officer or captain. She used to be a stewardess of SIA. And her story was published on the newspaper in early 2005.

Pilots have to take Pure Sciences with good grades in Physics. And excellent results in O level. Must be Poly diploma or degree holder.
From what I know, Singapore Grrrrrrrrrl just finished her ITE. waiting for polytechnic admission.
10 April 2006

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 9:14 pm

You might wanna check this thread out, especially posts by Singaporegirl

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... in/2031799

By the way, my application to poly wasn't accepted. So in the mean time I'm gonna continue working and saving enough money to take up diploma from a private institute. Like I've mentioned some time ago, I still want to study and I don't want to be too old til I finally decide to get myself a diploma. Don't get me wrong coz I believe in lifelong learning but I don't know if I would even still be interested in going to class everyday by that age. Hopefully not. Hehe...

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:01 pm

insight wrote:
Ginx wrote:Congratulations insight~ :D

Can I know what kind of questions were being asked during your mgmt round and tea party?

Even though the candidates who were eliminated during this round have the SQ look, what do you think were lacking in them that caused them to be eliminated?

thanks loads!
Thanks Ginx! Alright, all the ques being asked were trying to focus almost exclusively on ur personal qualities, whether u r wat the airline looking for. No situations ques for me, but do expect them. There are no definite right or wrong ans, try to ans them from the airline's point of view, and show them that u r genuine. The way u express ur ans is also v important. Speaking in a flat or monotonous way will not impress them. Besides speaking fluently, u got to speak enthusiastically with most of the time, having eye-contact with the interviwers. Most of the ques i would say are not really difficult. If u r really keen to be an air stewardess, of course u will take the initiatives to find out what's the role of a cabin crew. yup, this was one of the ques being asked frequently. Also y do u want to be a cabin crew?? It is crucial you consider this question both from your own, and the airline’s perspective. If for example all you want is travel, and you cannot convince your interviewers that you would enjoy looking after their passengers & be part of their team, then you are gg to lose out. From my past experiences, hw do i handle difficult customers? Any complaints? State examples. These are personal experiences and if u r one who understand good customer services and ur customers are always satisfied with ur service, then u should know hw to ans.... The rest u gotta do some homework gal! :)

Tips: What u gonna ans, backup with examples. Bec thr my answers, they asked another lists of questions!

Well, for the gals whom din make it, i would say some have the looks (looks only play a small part), and thr conversation, i think they hv no problems with their english. So i guess the interviewers looked into personalities and sincerity!

Alright Ginx, Hopefully this might help!

Insight :wink:
Hi Insight,

First of all, congratulation to you!

Well, for those gals with the SQ look and no problem with their English but didn't make it, beside sincerity and personalities, do you think it could be some other factors i.e age and qualification?

Am jus curious if age plays a crucial part becoz I came across the forum mentioning girls above 25 usually don't make it to the final..:(

Thanks

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:31 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:You might wanna check this thread out, especially posts by Singaporegirl

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... in/2031799

By the way, my application to poly wasn't accepted. So in the mean time I'm gonna continue working and saving enough money to take up diploma from a private institute. Like I've mentioned some time ago, I still want to study and I don't want to be too old til I finally decide to get myself a diploma. Don't get me wrong coz I believe in lifelong learning but I don't know if I would even still be interested in going to class everyday by that age. Hopefully not. Hehe...
Just out of interest singaporegrrl do they SIA accept diplomas from private intstitutes? The reason I ask is in this country such qualifications would only be accepted from recognized institutions (those run by the state) making private endeavours a waste of time.

Plavt.

insight

Post by insight » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks erieo! Min paper qualification is a diploma or 'A' level cert. Paper qualifications are checked during the first round so those whom r not qualify will be eliminated. As for the age, i'm nt too sure but i tink it really depends. I tink the management might not be too particular about candidates above 25, if they are really excellent esp they need a lot of FA nw. Furthermore, they didnt state the age limit in their FA advertisement...