Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
prince

Post by prince » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 2:26 am

tabby wrote:How abt the tea reception interview?girls will also be eliminated on the spot or will be contacted later thru email/phone?it was weird cos my friend told me that SQ havent contact her yet abt the results for the interview thou i am not too sure whether it's the mgtment or the tea reception round.
The tea reception are mainly for the management people to further observe those girls/guys who they still have some doubts on, and whom they can't decide upon during the management interview.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:50 am

nafnaf wrote:the girls who successfully went through round 3 were all lacking the cabin crew look and most of them were the least expected to get in among the whole batch....really do not know what the interviewers are looking out for :???:

And you were the judge as to who were the ones least expected to?

Seriously, people here place too much emphasis on looks - witness loads of questions about kebaya-fitting, nailpolish, weight etc . . .

Isn't it obvious to all but the most dense here that these are not the main criteria for SIA to hire people?

I had another business trip last week - with SQ, of course - and I would not have considered any of the flight attendants as being beautiful.

Guess what?! Who cares. They provide good service and show a pleasant personality to the passengers.

Perhaps this is what SIA are looking for?

'nuff said Image

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter

Post by chai ching » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:17 am

Yup absolutely agree with you. Nowadays all SIA are not that so pretty at all. But what they are looking for is maybe some of them has the X-factor. Thats why they are able to get in. Before that long long ago, SIA requirments of looking stewardess, their requirment is very high. But now no more already. As what you say, as long they provide good service to passengers and are freindly and cheerful to the passengers.

That will be good enough already.
Vaucluse wrote:
nafnaf wrote:the girls who successfully went through round 3 were all lacking the cabin crew look and most of them were the least expected to get in among the whole batch....really do not know what the interviewers are looking out for :???:

And you were the judge as to who were the ones least expected to?

Seriously, people here place too much emphasis on looks - witness loads of questions about kebaya-fitting, nailpolish, weight etc . . .

Isn't it obvious to all but the most dense here that these are not the main criteria for SIA to hire people?

I had another business trip last week - with SQ, of course - and I would not have considered any of the flight attendants as being beautiful.

Guess what?! Who cares. They provide good service and show a pleasant personality to the passengers.

Perhaps this is what SIA are looking for?

cheezeflan

United Airlines Crew

Post by cheezeflan » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 2:20 pm

Anyone here attended united's interview before?

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 3:56 pm

This is the first time United open the application for Singapore based regional flight attendant.
10 April 2006

janhui

Post by janhui » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 4:11 pm

Where did you see the United ad? When is the interview?

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 4:53 pm

DOes united airline need to be station over there? and the training as well?

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 5:32 pm

No, you'll be based in Singapore.

I saw the ad on today's ST.

And you can apply online.

Look at their website.

www.unitedairlines.com.sg/careers
10 April 2006

prince

Post by prince » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:06 pm

i stumbled upon the blog of a steward. maybe u guys can have a read and see how is the life of an aircrew like.

http://pablofranko24.livejournal.com/

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:38 am

donno wrote:No, you'll be based in Singapore.

I saw the ad on today's ST.

And you can apply online.

Look at their website.

www.unitedairlines.com.sg/careers
Can i know how long is the bond for united airlines? and mmmm... based in sg means that where ever i going off to a destination, i'll fly off from sg? or....

prince

Post by prince » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 1:20 am

I found another blog site of a flight steward who's currently undergoing training. apparently he used to be a tv actor or somehting on shows like moulmein high and tv8's tong xin yuan etc. have a look.

http://bryocketh.livejournal.com/

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 1:33 am

I don't think UA has any bonds. The training lasts for 10 weeks. As in most flight attendant programs, this will probably be the toughest 10 weeks of your life. During this time, you will have only 4-6 days off. You will be trained in all of the airplanes UA flies.

You will be trained at the UA training centre at Elk Grove, IL, USA. Be prepared to work 11-12 hours a day, every day. You will wear business attire for the first four weeks and after that you will wear your uniform. You will not be paid and you will have to purchase your uniform and luggage. The cost is about US$700. You are recommended to bring with you at least US$2,000 to make it through. Don't forget that you will be almost four months without a paycheck.

Training emphasis is on safety and service. Approximately 30% of testing is in writing and 70% in hands on. The passing grade is 90% while SEP, 100%. Only one retake is allowed for a failed exam and only two retakes are allowed throughout the training.

After graduation you will be given 2-7 days rest, then you report to your base. As a rule, you will be on stand-by for several years before you can actually receive specific schedules.

UA guarantees a minimum of 75 flight hours per month at the rate of $19.05 per flight hour. Maximum is 85 flight hours per month. Your annual income could be between US$21,000 - US$23,000, including the additional $1.85/hr per diem.

Each year, your salary will increase by US$1,000 and at 5 years, your income will be up to US33,000 annually. This includes extra hours, holidays and overtime. You can work 6 days in a row as maximum. You are guaranteed 12 days off each month. You get almost a double pay for working holidays and your birthday counts as a holiday.

Your travel benefits begin after 6 months on the job. Before that, you and your dependants can travel on a 90% discount. You will receive 6 "buddy" passes a year (these are discounted air travel passes for your family and friends on flights where seats are available). There is a generous dental and medical plan. UA flight attendants are unionized and the monthly fee is US$35. Union membership is mandatory.

Vacations and scheduling are governed by senority. So keep in mind that you have some 23,000 peaople ahead of you.

This information was purely collected from my research and my apologies for any misleading, if any.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 5:49 am

Well nafnaf it might surprise you even annoy you but what the airline wants is and I emphasize:good communication skills; the ability to speak confidently, correctly and without hesitation. I have often heard the comment that 'SIA stewardesses are stuck up'. Personally I doubt it, it is just that many speak very good English and many Singaporeans are very jealous of that. Try to remember English speaking and writing is amongst the first thing the airline looks for. Should you have any doubts then the simple answer is to find currently employed cabin crew and ask them.

Give it a try you will not lose anything by simply asking.

Plavt.

kristen
Regular
Regular

hgey

Post by kristen » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:58 am

can someone update me on the requirements again..thanks!

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:26 am

thanks prince...
10 April 2006