Singapore Expats

Small is successful?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Small is successful?

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:21 am

I read or heard many times people saying that one of the reasons why Singapore has been successful is its size. I agree, indeed, that such a model probably would not be applicable to a large country.

I was thinking (see Sapphire, not only you :wink: ) about that tonight on my way back from Bangkok and was wondering how the world would look if we had only states of the size of Singapore?

No more super powers... Only small countries...

Any ideas?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 2:11 am

Hmm, nice idea, but you know what'd happen? You'd get some megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur hopping around, trying to join states together to make 'more powerful' and bigger states. Then taking over as many little 'uns as he/she could.

Nice if it was true though.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 6:27 am

I agree with Bubbs (welcome back!), it's not the physical size of the country, its the size of the ego of the person running it. There will always be tyranny as long as there are tyrants.

I also think if little country 'A' has, let's say, plenty of oil, but not enough clean water, then alliances will have to be made with country 'B' who has the water but no oil. In a world of fifedoms, the first superpower is born.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 8:31 am

A small country usually dreams big.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Post by renter » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 9:28 am

small means nimble. the country can move swiftly in policies compared to large countries.

but being small also has its demerits. No matter how developed it is, how big its dream is, it is still a small country.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 9:51 am

I guess a donwside would be it's 'vulnerability' thus the need to foster healthy ties with the surrounding neighboring countries.

If this world were to be made up of small countries, I guess in a way we would all be island hopping, sorta.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'