Singapore Expats

work application in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
simply_me

work application in Singapore

Post by simply_me » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 8:41 pm

neither i'm a singaporean nor a PR...but here to find a job...been submitting a lot of application via internet since oct05...and attended a walkin interview...however, due to my current status, it was not a successful one...

could you give some recommendations on how to go about the process in a more effective way...

thanks a lot! :wink:

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

Re: work application in sg

Post by bright_wave » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 9:11 pm

simply_me wrote:neither i'm a singaporean nor a PR...but here to find a job...been submitting a lot of application via internet since oct05...and attended a walkin interview...however, due to my current status, it was not a successful one...

could you give some recommendations on how to go about the process in a more effective way...

thanks a lot! :wink:
Hi,

Can you fill us in about your status? What kind of position you are looking for? Entry or management level?

Hang in there,
:wink:

simply_me

Post by simply_me » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:24 am

hi there too bright_wave,

been here under social visit pass. already have 4 yrs work experience (exclude part time job) in a hotel and freight transportation company...under supervisory level...

most often than not, company is looking for someone who could secure a dependent pass...whew

any recommendations?

thanks in advance :wink:

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

Post by bright_wave » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 9:26 am

simply_me wrote:hi there too bright_wave,

been here under social visit pass. already have 4 yrs work experience (exclude part time job) in a hotel and freight transportation company...under supervisory level...

most often than not, company is looking for someone who could secure a dependent pass...whew

any recommendations?

Hi there!

Have you tried to ask for a s-pass (training pass) maybe that will get your foot in the door?

Or maybe take a course in shatec for hotel management or something? otherwise, invest in a local company??

:) Have a nice Monday morning....

simply_me

Post by simply_me » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:15 pm

bright_wave wrote:

any recommendations?

Hi there!

Have you tried to ask for a s-pass (training pass) maybe that will get your foot in the door?

Or maybe take a course in shatec for hotel management or something? otherwise, invest in a local company??

good monday morning to you,

under the hotel/service industry, they would often require dependent pass...on the other hand, s-pass do require a certain amount of salary range...

shatec will definitely be a good alternative...but not at the moment...as for the local campany,it may be more difficult for me to secure a job...whew

anyhow, still and will continue to send applications and hopefully along the way, will be able to find the right job at the right place and will be doin the right thing...yahoo

thank you so much for your advise...

go fish

Post by go fish » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 2:26 pm

hi guys welcome to me ....

im not in singapore yet but im planning to go there first week of april i have a friend who currently has an EP already and she's willing to cover my expenses for as long as im jobhunting. she already got an apartment in Choa Chu Kang Loop (is this a good place?) but her advice is to get a social visit looking for employment pass (or something that sounds like this) when i get there. Im in the field of marketing communications, doing events, below the line and above the line promotions. Does anybody know what the current jobmarket climate is like in this field?
by the way im a 33 yr. old female will it matter?

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

Post by bright_wave » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 5:02 pm

simply_me wrote:
bright_wave wrote:

any recommendations?

Hi there!

under the hotel/service industry, they would often require dependent pass...on the other hand, s-pass do require a certain amount of salary range...

shatec will definitely be a good alternative...but not at the moment...as for the local campany,it may be more difficult for me to secure a job...whew

anyhow, still and will continue to send applications and hopefully along the way, will be able to find the right job at the right place and will be doin the right thing...yahoo

Hi,

S-pass's salary is below 2000 if I'm not wrong. so that's what some fresh graduates receive. so if you don't mind, you can start off at this level and work your way up.

Good Luck! :cool:

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

Post by bright_wave » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 5:06 pm

go fish wrote:hi guys welcome to me ....

im not in singapore yet but im planning to go there first week of april i have a friend who currently has an EP already and she's willing to cover my expenses for as long as im jobhunting. she already got an apartment in Choa Chu Kang Loop (is this a good place?) but her advice is to get a social visit looking for employment pass (or something that sounds like this) when i get there. Im in the field of marketing communications, doing events, below the line and above the line promotions. Does anybody know what the current jobmarket climate is like in this field?

Hi Go Fish,

What a great friend you have! 8-)

mmm, a good place is subjective to define. To me, it's fine as long as it's decent.
I'm not familar with that pass, maybe you can check out the ministry of manpower. www.mom.gov.sg
:)
I don;t think age or sex is a problem in marcom field. It's highly competitive though like any other field. Sorry, can't be of much help. :cry: :cry:

simply_me

Post by simply_me » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 7:31 pm

bright_wave wrote:
simply_me wrote:
bright_wave wrote: Hi there!

Hi,

S-pass's salary is below 2000 if I'm not wrong. so that's what some fresh graduates receive. so if you don't mind, you can start off at this level and work your way up.

Good Luck! :cool:
ello,

yup you are indeed correct (sgd1800)...i honestly dont mind at all to have that range...unfortunately...most companies do not want to go about the process of hiring such...as this will entail lots of requirement from the MOM...etc...in that case...specially in the hotel industry, they would as much as possible have someone who has a dependent pass...

anyhow, im still very much optismistic that oneday...will definitely have ONE!!!...hehehe

thanks a lot! 8-)

simply_me

Post by simply_me » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 8:21 pm

go fish wrote:hi guys welcome to me ....

believe choa chu kang is quiet far...to jurong area...not sure abt the place...for social visit pass, try below links for your info... http://app.ica.gov.sg/serv_visitor/soci ... asp#employ
or
http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/moving_visa.shtml

believe what matters most is work experience...good luck! :)

go fish

Post by go fish » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 9:02 pm

thanks bright wave and simply me ...yup my friend is really nice :wink:

anyway let me rephrase my question..... is Choa Chu Kang Loop near the public transport? you see i dont want to be taking a cab while job hunting because it costs too much.

in a month would any of you guys have an idea how much ill be spending for public transport fare ?

im so excited to go there i want to see the museums and want to meet some nice people i can have coffee with and talk movies and books :-)

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 9:18 pm

Choa Chu Kang eh...

Well you've got 2MRT stations, one is at Yew Tee and the other Choa Chu Kang itself.Which one you'll end up using from depends on where your exact location is. No worries for they have feeder bus services (a sort of an intra-zone service) to take you to either.

If you're heading towards Raffles Place, City Hall, take the one that says it's heading to Jurong East and transfer to another train that's heading towards Pasir Ris.It's a more 'time efficient' route.

If you're heading towards Newton,Novena,Orchard, take the one heading to Marina Bay..there's no need to switch trains on this route.

If it sounds confusing..well basically on the platform there will be two directions,one heading to Jurong East and the other Marina Bay so you can figure it out from there.

I suggest you plan several interviews when you're out. Don't wanna go back and forth.

G'luck!
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

simply_me

Post by simply_me » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:08 pm

go fish wrote:thanks bright wave and simply me ...yup my friend is really nice :wink:

anyway let me rephrase my question..... is Choa Chu Kang Loop near the public transport? you see i dont want to be taking a cab while job hunting because it costs too much.

in a month would any of you guys have an idea how much ill be spending for public transport fare ?

im so excited to go there i want to see the museums and want to meet some nice people i can have coffee with and talk movies and books :-)
the pleasure is mine go fish...

cab will definitely be too much cost of course depending on the destination...if bus or train fare would be ~90 cents - sgd2+...just estimate...hehehe

good luck :)