Singapore Expats

New arrival...coming shortly!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
el Greco

New arrival...coming shortly!

Post by el Greco » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:29 pm

Hello everybody!

I accepted a job offer from my bank and will start over there on April 1st for 2 years! I am... Greek living the past 4 years in Frankfurt and working there as a market risk analyst.

I was (and actually still am...) very skeptical and worried moving over to Asia :? but from what I've read here and what people told me it should be great! I am 28, coming over on my own and looking forward to meeting perhaps some of you people in the near future!

I would like to thank you for all the usefull advice I've read in this forum the past 2 months that REALLY helped me on my decisions and planning! :D

Best,
El Greco 8-)

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Post by deb96 » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:04 am

Not to worry so much! You will enjoy your stay here! I have friends from Holland and Germany too! They all even settled down here and start family too! :D

Siong2
Regular
Regular

Post by Siong2 » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:23 am

Welcome to the Island. :wink:

kimm
Regular
Regular

Post by kimm » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 9:28 pm

so where do u plan to stay?

el Greco

Post by el Greco » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 6:03 pm

kimm wrote:so where do u plan to stay?
Well, I am getting a service appartment for the first 2 months and in the mean time I ll be looking for my palace :D
I will be working at 20 Collyer Quay and I was thinking for a condo something close to Clarke Quay or Orcherd?? I was never there so I have no idea!! :???:
I am open to suggestions though :?

Thanks Guys!

msekree

Post by msekree » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Greco, are you excited? You're almost here...

Just to say that 2 months should be plenty of time to find a place once you get here. I live pretty close to Orchard myself and find it really convenient, being within walking distance or a cheap taxi ride of everywhere is ideal.

It can be tough to find a place though. I know that my girlfriend's been struggling and even though she's moved into a place now with the help of an agent it's still not perfect. You're fortunate to have two months to find somewhere.

Good luck with it!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 2:31 pm

Know that the owners of this site are property agents as well, so they can help you out. Also just browse throught the section of appartments for rent, it helps in finding nice locations (it did for me at least....).

One thing you will miss here Greco..... no Panathinaikos on the tele.... :wink:

Απολαύστε τη διαβίωση εδώ :)

Eric

el Greco

Post by el Greco » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 3:50 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Know that the owners of this site are property agents as well, so they can help you out. Also just browse throught the section of appartments for rent, it helps in finding nice locations (it did for me at least....).

One thing you will miss here Greco..... no Panathinaikos on the tele.... :wink:

Απολαύστε τη διαβίωση εδώ :)

Eric
:D :D Eric you impress me! thanks.

But please don't touch me where it hurts the most! What's the story with European football over there? Any channels showing Champions league? What about the upcoming World cup? Is insomnia planned for June? :wink:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:06 pm

You will have to subscribe to the so called 'sports channels', provided by your cable provider Starhub in Singapore. (check www.starhub.com.sg ).

The 3 or 4 channels will cost you S$ 15 per month, then you will have access to all champions league games, world cup etc. And it is all live coverage.

So yes, it is insomnia in June, but you can pick your games Greco, the European Champs are not in this time.... :P

Eric

el Greco

Post by el Greco » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:17 pm

You made my day!

Regarding Greece... our players just needed a rest. :) It was too much to ask from our lads to miss a third consecutive summer's holiday after 2004 and ConfedCup 2005! We're Greeks after all :wink:

BUt I had to listen to all my German friends singing the Greek version of the legendary 2002 song:

"Ohne Holland fahr'wir zu WM"! :D

replacing Holland with "Griechen"

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:51 pm

I heard from my German neighbour here in our condo, that a Dutch company purchased 50,000 fake replica's of the old nazi helmets, all in orange. They will be provided for free to the company's clients with free tickets for the games.... :-|

I guess our friendship with the Germans is like your deep deep friendship with your neighbours in Turkey.... :wink:

Also, there is loads of pubs here in Singapore, having big screens and covering all champions league and EPL games every week, same for coming world cup. And most of the EPL clubs have fanclubs here, where you can go to to watch the games.

All in all this country is pretty football / soccer minded.

I myself prefer this Greek God by the way:

Eric

el Greco

New arrival... just called in!

Post by el Greco » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 8:42 pm

Hi being 48 hours here, things look better than expected!
Saw people jaywalking, saw people littering, saw people kiss on the subway!! :D

Cheers,
El greco!

bennisan

Post by bennisan » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:44 pm

Hi Greco,

Have left a PM for ya. Might wanna check it out. Thanks!

egenteka

Post by egenteka » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 8:21 am

Hi el Greco (even though I cheer for Olympiakos)

I am considering seriously moving to Singapore in the near future. I also have found this site very helpful. I would love to hear a Greek's perspective of Singapore. Please, any input would be most welcome.
Thanks and enjoy your stay
Eleni

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: New arrival... just called in!

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 07 Apr 2006 3:15 pm

el Greco wrote:Hi being 48 hours here, things look better than expected!
Saw people jaywalking, saw people littering, saw people kiss on the subway!! :D

Cheers,
El greco!
It is a wonderful world, isn't it? :wink:

Eric