Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:19 pm

Here is one event that springs to mind regarding the recent discussion;

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/AirFlor ... ayDis.html

Plavt.

EvanLee

Post by EvanLee » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:25 pm

Trish wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Paige wrote: Hi Greenlife,
During the swim test, life jacket is provided. So as long as you are able to float using it, it shouldn't be a problem...

All the best..

Cheers!
Paige

Use your comon sense Paige: you have to be able to swim we have had this argument before!

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

I feel that you should not have 'insult' a human's common sense. I believed that Paige is not encouraging people who cannot swim to join SIA or implying that SIA accept candidates who cannot swim. She just trying to be friendly and encouraging to SQ wannabes who cannot swim well by sharing with them her experiences. So for those people who cannot swim or cannot swim well, it's up to them to decide whether they still want to go ahead or learn and improve their swimming skills before trying again.

I was chatting with Paige just now. She told me that she was not going to post on this forum again. This forum is going to lose another passionate and helpful SQ wannabe. No offence to anyone.

(Please do not correct my English as I admit I do not have a very good command of English and I am improving it every seconds of my life.THANKS!)
Just to add on that it is a water confidence test, not a swimming test. So long as you are not scared of jumping into the water from 2 meters high with your life vest, and to be able to swim to the shore, most probably you will be alright.

As for the question whether you will be able to save passengers if the plane crashes when you just only know how to float, all passengers will have their own life vest, all crew members will have their own as well. So long as you are not scared of the water (i.e. water confidence), you will still be able to save passengers even though you do not really know how to swim..

Just some of my thoughts...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:34 pm

EvanLee wrote:
Trish wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Use your comon sense Paige: you have to be able to swim we have had this argument before!

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

I feel that you should not have 'insult' a human's common sense. I believed that Paige is not encouraging people who cannot swim to join SIA or implying that SIA accept candidates who cannot swim. She just trying to be friendly and encouraging to SQ wannabes who cannot swim well by sharing with them her experiences. So for those people who cannot swim or cannot swim well, it's up to them to decide whether they still want to go ahead or learn and improve their swimming skills before trying again.

I was chatting with Paige just now. She told me that she was not going to post on this forum again. This forum is going to lose another passionate and helpful SQ wannabe. No offence to anyone.

(Please do not correct my English as I admit I do not have a very good command of English and I am improving it every seconds of my life.THANKS!)
Just to add on that it is a water confidence test, not a swimming test. So long as you are not scared of jumping into the water from 2 meters high with your life vest, and to be able to swim to the shore, most probably you will be alright.

As for the question whether you will be able to save passengers if the plane crashes when you just only know how to float, all passengers will have their own life vest, all crew members will have their own as well. So long as you are not scared of the water (i.e. water confidence), you will still be able to save passengers even though you do not really know how to swim..

Just some of my thoughts...

The kindest thing that can be said to you sir, is you are an idiot! A water confidence test is a swimming test you have to be able to swim a predetermined distance. Read the earlier post and you will see I mentioned that life vests have been known to fail! As I said earlier you need to be able to swim in order to get away from the plane quickly otherwise it will take you under if it sinks. For heavens sake think about what you are saying before posting some worthless gibberish as you have done here.

Plavt.

prince

Post by prince » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:48 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Mean? I guess it's better to let people think they don't have to worry about knowing how to swim well . . . potentially to save lives.

Again, inform potential applicants that they can expect a swim test, with vest, but that it is important to know how to swim

Umm, swimming test for me? No thanks, I was an officer in the navy (submarines) and know how to swim quite well, thanks (Oh, PADI Rescue Diver Level with Night Dive and Drift Diver level)
it is not necessary to know how to swim. this was what my current trainer in SIA said. however, u must not be afraid to float on the water. apparently some ppl r afraid to even jump down and float on the water with a life vest. so there u go, for SIA, its not necessary to know how to swim. not sure abt other airlines but this is the case for sia.

EvanLee

Post by EvanLee » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:53 pm

Plavt wrote:

The kindest thing that can be said to you sir, is you are an idiot! A water confidence test is a swimming test you have to be able to swim a predetermined distance. Read the earlier post and you will see I mentioned that life vests have been known to fail! As I said earlier you need to be able to swim in order to get away from the plane quickly otherwise it will take you under if it sinks. For heavens sake think about what you are saying before posting some worthless gibberish as you have done here.

Plavt.
Well, its because of people like you, who has made this forum so unfriendly and making people who has genuine interest in becoming a cabin crew, afraid to post their questions and get their queries clarified.

Unless you are a cabin crew or you have survived from a plane crash, you will not know what the actual situation is like, isnt it?

I am not saying that it is not required to know how to swim, but I was just saying that it is a water confidence test, not a swimming test. When you go for your swimming test, you are not required to jump from 2 meters high, isnt it? But if you are really scared of water, you will not be able to jump into the water even with a life vest. Then it is not acceptable. That's what I meant.

I wouldnt want to argue with people like you, I am just sad that you have chased nice people who are sincere in helping people.

If you are not sincere in helping people here, and just want to post sacarstic remarks, this is not going to help any of them here!

For those who are really interested in getting into this line, I would suggest you finding out more with an actual cabin crew in SIA. Only then, you will know how to get through all the rounds, with the right attitude, and to know whether you are really suitable for the job.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:56 pm

prince wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Mean? I guess it's better to let people think they don't have to worry about knowing how to swim well . . . potentially to save lives.

Again, inform potential applicants that they can expect a swim test, with vest, but that it is important to know how to swim

Umm, swimming test for me? No thanks, I was an officer in the navy (submarines) and know how to swim quite well, thanks (Oh, PADI Rescue Diver Level with Night Dive and Drift Diver level)
it is not necessary to know how to swim. this was what my current trainer in SIA said. however, u must not be afraid to float on the water. apparently some ppl r afraid to even jump down and float on the water with a life vest. so there u go, for SIA, its not necessary to know how to swim. not sure abt other airlines but this is the case for sia.
OMG Do you really think anybody is going to believe this tosh! (apart from a few idiots) You obviously do not work for SIA. :^o Take a walk to the quayside tie heavy weight around your neck and jump in!

Plavt.

prince

Post by prince » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:03 pm

Plavt wrote:
prince wrote:

OMG Do you really think anybody is going to believe this tosh! (apart from a few idiots) You obviously do not work for SIA. :^o Take a walk to the quayside tie heavy weight around your neck and jump in!

Plavt.
my goodness! this is getting irritating! I WORK FOR SIA! I'M CURRENTLY TRAINING AS A CABIN CREW INSIDE!! ARGH! Who cares if u believe or not.

This is really frustrating - to have ppl like u in such forum. it used to be such a friendly and nice environment to discuss abt the topic. and the worse thing is, u r not even applying or interested to be a cabin crew. If u really want to do us a favour, as u have mentioned, then just shut up and get lost... IDIOT! yes, u r the one who deserve this title more than the many others whom u have been calling this name.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:11 pm

EvanLee wrote:
Plavt wrote:

Plavt.
Well, its because of people like you, who has made this forum so unfriendly and making people who has genuine interest in becoming a cabin crew, afraid to post their questions and get their queries clarified.

Unless you are a cabin crew or you have survived from a plane crash, you will not know what the actual situation is like, isnt it?

I am not saying that it is not required to know how to swim, but I was just saying that it is a water confidence test, not a swimming test. When you go for your swimming test, you are not required to jump from 2 meters high, isnt it? But if you are really scared of water, you will not be able to jump into the water even with a life vest. Then it is not acceptable. That's what I meant.

I wouldnt want to argue with people like you, I am just sad that you have chased nice people who are sincere in helping people.

If you are not sincere in helping people here, and just want to post sacarstic remarks, this is not going to help any of them here!

For those who are really interested in getting into this line, I would suggest you finding out more with an actual cabin crew in SIA. Only then, you will know how to get through all the rounds, with the right attitude, and to know whether you are really suitable for the job.
Then you should consider giving people incorrect information in no way helps them. You do not clarify somebody’s queries by giving false information, if people who come to this forum cannot acknowledge simple facts then whose problem is that? Don't give me that crap about unless you have 'survived a plane crash' simply considering the job is enough.
By the way a water confidence test is a swimming test I have seen conducted enough time to know.

Help others by all means but not by giving false hopes - how would you like it if you did not get a job because the information given by somebody else turned out to be rubbish?

Don't tell me to find out more from the actual cabin crew, I have flown with the airline often enough and have two friends who work there on who is still a serving flight attendant and another one who is a supervisor.

Plavt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:15 pm

Wow, Prince you sure know how to hold an argument . . . NOT!

Why is it that Plavt gives so many good times and so much good advice, actually helping people attain their confidence, so pray tell what have you contributed? It is so pathetic to simply let starry-eyed people believe in luck and not helping them prepare.

What peopl here need to learn is that one does not lose face when taught something new and not everything is due to 'heng', no matter how many pineapples you hang on your door.

'nuff said Image

prince

Post by prince » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:25 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Wow, Prince you sure know how to hold an argument . . . NOT!

Why is it that Plavt gives so many good times and so much good advice, actually helping people attain their confidence, so pray tell what have you contributed? It is so pathetic to simply let starry-eyed people believe in luck and not helping them prepare.

What peopl here need to learn is that one does not lose face when taught something new and not everything is due to 'heng', no matter how many pineapples you hang on your door.
helping ppl attain confidence? more like crushing their confident. anyway, whatever la. this arguement is really getting no where. im sure people can tell who are being helpfull and who are not. for those who need info.. u can pm me. im already training as a cabin crew and will try my best to ans ur queries...

Flyance

Post by Flyance » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:28 pm

oh man...dis is hard on...there seems to be so much unhappiness and grudges going along here...

its jus too serious....com'on guys take it easy...

its juz sum guru in the airline industry nagging and giving sum gd old advise...

Cheers & Peace.
F.T.W

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:51 pm

prince wrote:
Plavt wrote:
prince wrote: it is not necessary to know how to swim. this was what my current trainer in SIA said. however, u must not be afraid to float on the water. apparently some ppl r afraid to even jump down and float on the water with a life vest. so there u go, for SIA, its not necessary to know how to swim. not sure abt other airlines but this is the case for sia.

Plavt.
my goodness! this is getting irritating! I WORK FOR SIA! I'M CURRENTLY TRAINING AS A CABIN CREW INSIDE!! ARGH! Who cares if u believe or not.

This is really frustrating - to have ppl like u in such forum. it used to be such a friendly and nice environment to discuss abt the topic. and the worse thing is, u r not even applying or interested to be a cabin crew. If u really want to do us a favour, as u have mentioned, then just shut up and get lost... IDIOT! yes, u r the one who deserve this title more than the many others whom u have been calling this name.
It is you who is the idiot; do you really think anybody who works in the airline would believe what you have written? Unfortunately for you I have a friend who is serving flight steward with SIA and another a lady supervisor who herself was a flight attendant. So don't give me the 'trollop' you have above. What is the name of your trainer you mention? I know you won't answer that.

In case you did not know I would like to see people get the jobs they want for which they need both sensible and factual advice.

Plavt.

Menaquinone

Post by Menaquinone » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:07 pm

Paige wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
P.S: Dun doubt me on my common sense!!! :mad:
Paige :twisted:

I would suggest that Plavt has more common sense in his little finger than you have in your brain.

Umm, and why not with a response like that? Of course you can get by knowing how to only float if you are wearing a life vest, but it is utterly incomprehensible that you would suggest this is ok.
Think about it - this person gets a job and , God forbid, her flight lands in the water, she doesn't have a life vest and goes down like a brick. Don't even give passengers a thought that are relying on the FA.

(I'm looking forward to your reply that surely they will learn before starting - - unbelieveable)

Now, where's your common sense?
Well..
Plavt and Vaucluse,
Both of you are so damn mean.. well.. Right now I'm just discussing about the swim test which SIA is going to conduct. You both don't have to be so mean right? Well.. guess both of you have NEVER been thru SIA swim test right? since someone was asking this question, others are just giving advice. Since this is a forum for people to chat and discuss and NOT for people like BOTH of you talking about others' common sense and personal attack right? I'm just trying to help that's all!!!
Since you both are SO GOOD, why don't both of you go for their interview?
TMD

Paige :mad:
TMD...
Dear Paige...
dun even bother getting mad. Everyone is entitled to their own views.
regards,
a happy quinone.

prince

Post by prince » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:18 pm

Plavt wrote:
prince wrote:
Plavt wrote: OMG Do you really think anybody is going to believe this tosh! (apart from a few idiots) You obviously do not work for SIA. :^o Take a walk to the quayside tie heavy weight around your neck and jump in!

Plavt.

It is you who is the idiot; do you really think anybody who works in the airline would believe what you have written? Unfortunately for you I have a friend who is serving flight steward with SIA and another a lady supervisor who herself was a flight attendant. So don't give me the 'trollop' you have above. What is the name of your trainer you mention? I know you won't answer that.

In case you did not know I would like to see people get the jobs they want for which they need both sensible and factual advice.

Plavt.
*edited*
I removed the name.. some of u had seen it. realised it's not appropriate to state the name of someone here. thx to some of the people here who pm me and reminded me abt it. thx. :)

anyway, i cant b bothered. i wont be posting any more feedback in regards to the two meanies. if u have qn, pm me n i will try my best to help u. or u can post here and i will reply.. i will jus simply ignore anything written by the two meanies.
Last edited by prince on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowsh83

Post by lowsh83 » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:28 pm

hmm...I simply feel that this forum is getting out of control. everyone sure has their own point of view.

But from what I have observed, there are some people out there seems to be very harsh with their words which I feel that its very impolite.

Be it wrong or right, i guess Plavt sould stop using ugly words like 'idiot' to insult anyone.

I personally feel that 'whoever you are' should stop discouraging those who do not know how to swim from joining SIA. As what prince had mentioned, his instructor told them that it is not necessary to know how to swim .Thus i do believe his statement definitely can boost up the morale of those people who do not know how to swim.

Just my 2 cents.