Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 5:39 pm

P.S: Dun doubt me on my common sense!!! :mad:
Paige :twisted:

I would suggest that Plavt has more common sense in his little finger than you have in your brain.

Umm, and why not with a response like that? Of course you can get by knowing how to only float if you are wearing a life vest, but it is utterly incomprehensible that you would suggest this is ok.
Think about it - this person gets a job and , God forbid, her flight lands in the water, she doesn't have a life vest and goes down like a brick. Don't even give passengers a thought that are relying on the FA.

(I'm looking forward to your reply that surely they will learn before starting - - unbelieveable)

Now, where's your common sense?

'nuff said Image

Greenlife
Regular
Regular

Post by Greenlife » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 5:48 pm

hi Chai ching,

wondering the swim test will kill me menn!! but is too far to talk this, now cant even know can pass the 1st round or not?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 5:55 pm

Thank you Vaucluse, I really do not know how somebody as educated as Paige can write such a muddle headed response. Let me spell it out to posters as I have before:

Being able to swim 25 metres or 50 metres (distance varies with airlines) is a mandatory requirement!.

During the swimming test your swimming abilityis assesed byswimming from one end of the pool to the other as it is with all airlines in order for the interviewers to identify weak swimmers. Yes you wear a life-vest but just in case you do not know Paige life-vests have been known to fail!

Bye the way Paige have a look at your response;
a Cabin crew SHOULD KNOW how to swim. BUT

right now, we are discussing about the SIA cabin crew interview my dear..
Not only have you contradicted yourself you have confirmed the truth and
the fact that this is an interview you are discussing is irrelevant!

As Vaucluse mentioned the reason you are assesed is in case of an emergency where the plane goes into the sea. How would you manage if you cannot swim - hitch a ride on killer white shark that just happened to be passing?

Plavt.

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 6:06 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
P.S: Dun doubt me on my common sense!!! :mad:
Paige :twisted:

I would suggest that Plavt has more common sense in his little finger than you have in your brain.

Umm, and why not with a response like that? Of course you can get by knowing how to only float if you are wearing a life vest, but it is utterly incomprehensible that you would suggest this is ok.
Think about it - this person gets a job and , God forbid, her flight lands in the water, she doesn't have a life vest and goes down like a brick. Don't even give passengers a thought that are relying on the FA.

(I'm looking forward to your reply that surely they will learn before starting - - unbelieveable)

Now, where's your common sense?
Well..
Plavt and Vaucluse,
Both of you are so damn mean.. well.. Right now I'm just discussing about the swim test which SIA is going to conduct. You both don't have to be so mean right? Well.. guess both of you have NEVER been thru SIA swim test right? since someone was asking this question, others are just giving advice. Since this is a forum for people to chat and discuss and NOT for people like BOTH of you talking about others' common sense and personal attack right? I'm just trying to help that's all!!!
Since you both are SO GOOD, why don't both of you go for their interview?
TMD

Paige :mad:
TMD...

angela

Post by angela » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 6:16 pm

Dear Plavt, Vauclause, Paige...

I am truly in the state of confusion as i do not know which one of you to side...I attended the water confidence test two months back...and to be honest, i witnessed with my very own eyes, some girls were struggling in the water even with life jacket ON but they managed to proceed to the management interview...and got the job eventually. What makes the interviewer think that those girls can actually save their passengers' lives?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 6:32 pm

That is very interesting Angela but you would have to ask the interviewers just how they decide although I doubt if they would be very forthcoming if you did.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 6:50 pm

Paige,
Neither me or Vaucluse are being mean as you put it, you are simply giving erroneous advice and I really do not know what you intend to achieve in doing so. I do not have to go for an interview , in case you have not noticed I live in the United Kingdom where I have watched enough television programs about airlines to know what their requirements are and there is not much difference between them in respect to safety. Should you be able to avail yourself of such programs they are; 'Airline' which is centred around EasyJet (a European budget carrier) and 'Airport' a documentary based around Heathrow. There have been others at odd times.

I would not need to go for a swim test in order to know what they require.
As we have said it is just common sense to realize why they require what they do. I do not know if it occurs to you or not they want you to be able to swim a certain distance in order to get away from the plane otherwise you and the passengers will be sucked under with it. Now if you do not believe what I am saying why not write to them and ask them their specific requirements?

Plavt.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 7:14 pm

Struggling during the water confidence test? How bad were they struggling?Perhaps they had other redeeming qualities ( whatever that may be ) to qualify them for the next round.

The key is NOT to panic. You have a life vest on, the job of keeping afloat is therefore a little easier. It will be good for those who can't swim or can barely do so to head down to the pool and 'get acquainted' with the water.
Controlled breathing and tell yourself, "I have a life vest on. It's only one time'. Keep it together just for that moment....

The other thing about being prepared as to what to say during the interview. It's good to have pointers but avoid memorising and repeating your predicted answers. The key is for them to come out sounding natural and with confidence NOT scripted.

A good interviewer can tell if you're just reading from a mental script ( usually the way your sentences are constructed, your body language and most importantly your breathing ). Do not rush your answers or attempt to answer a question that has NOT been fully asked yet...

Eye contact, body language, a genuine smile....

As for qualifications, it is the norm when the term 'preferred' is used it means/ that is the lowest acceptable grade. However, if you believe you are able to handle the job and can convince the interviewers to give you that shot, go for it. As this is a walk-in of some sort, your job though not easier but at least you have an advantage of person to person as opposed to trying to convince via a write in.

Good luck for the NASA job.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 7:26 pm

The following is from;

Successfully complete initial training and recurrent training pro http://www.careerintravel.co.uk/britishairways.htm

You as a person:

Friendly and caring personality.

Competent in handling difficult situations.

Confident communicator and great listener.

Supportive of colleagues and a team player.

Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure.

Willing to treat everyone as an individual.

Satisfy current BA/CAA health requirements.

Takes pride in personal grooming with no visible tattoos or piercings and willing to conform to uniform standards.

Able to swim well with confidence.

Be prepared to work unsociable hours any day of the year, at any time, including weekends and public holidays.

Able to work to tight time constraints.

Would anyone think the requirement for British Airways would be that different from Singapore Airlines? I assure you that stated above will be exactly the same. (except BA/CAA health requirements which in Singpore will be CAAS, however the criteria will be very much the same)

Plavt.

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 7:40 pm

Plavt wrote:Paige,
Neither me or Vaucluse are being mean as you put it, you are simply giving erroneous advice and I really do not know what you intend to achieve in doing so. I do not have to go for an interview , in case you have not noticed I live in the United Kingdom where I have watched enough television programs about airlines to know what their requirements are and there is not much difference between them in respect to safety. Should you be able to avail yourself of such programs they are; 'Airline' which is centred around EasyJet (a European budget carrier) and 'Airport' a documentary based around Heathrow. There have been others at odd times.

I would not need to go for a swim test in order to know what they require.
As we have said it is just common sense to realize why they require what they do. I do not know if it occurs to you or not they want you to be able to swim a certain distance in order to get away from the plane otherwise you and the passengers will be sucked under with it. Now if you do not believe what I am saying why not write to them and ask them their specific requirements?

Plavt.
Well Plavt,
I'm just trying to help that's all... and share what I had been thru. You don't have to put it in a way that I'm trying to be nasty I guess. It is rude to doubt people's common sense and their achievement. Btw, yup, of course I know that you are from UK, but in this forum, we are just discussing things about SIA cabin crew interview where wannabes share their ambition and what they had gone through during the interview that's all?
Well, I don't wish to fight with either you or with Vaucluse anymore. Each of us have different stand I guess? Continue giving your advice to the wannabes in future.

Paige

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 8:02 pm

discussing things about SIA cabin crew interview that's all?
Then please remember there will be no difference in many of their requirements although it is strange they do not state certain things on their website for prospective flight attendants.

Plavt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 8:08 pm

Mean? I guess it's better to let people think they don't have to worry about knowing how to swim well . . . potentially to save lives.

Again, inform potential applicants that they can expect a swim test, with vest, but that it is important to know how to swim

Umm, swimming test for me? No thanks, I was an officer in the navy (submarines) and know how to swim quite well, thanks (Oh, PADI Rescue Diver Level with Night Dive and Drift Diver level)

'nuff said Image

Trish
Regular
Regular

Post by Trish » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 8:17 pm

Plavt wrote:
Paige wrote:
Greenlife wrote:Hi,

I do not know how to swim, so shall I go to SIA cabin crew interview?
I saw some people posted day 2 round 3 is swim test. so how...

:(
Hi Greenlife,
During the swim test, life jacket is provided. So as long as you are able to float using it, it shouldn't be a problem...

All the best..

Cheers!
Paige

Use your comon sense Paige: you have to be able to swim we have had this argument before!

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

I feel that you should not have 'insult' a human's common sense. I believed that Paige is not encouraging people who cannot swim to join SIA or implying that SIA accept candidates who cannot swim. She just trying to be friendly and encouraging to SQ wannabes who cannot swim well by sharing with them her experiences. So for those people who cannot swim or cannot swim well, it's up to them to decide whether they still want to go ahead or learn and improve their swimming skills before trying again.

I was chatting with Paige just now. She told me that she was not going to post on this forum again. This forum is going to lose another passionate and helpful SQ wannabe. No offence to anyone.

(Please do not correct my English as I admit I do not have a very good command of English and I am improving it every seconds of my life.THANKS!)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 8:17 pm

angela wrote:Dear Plavt, Vauclause, Paige...

I am truly in the state of confusion as i do not know which one of you to side...I attended the water confidence test two months back...and to be honest, i witnessed with my very own eyes, some girls were struggling in the water even with life jacket ON but they managed to proceed to the management interview...and got the job eventually. What makes the interviewer think that those girls can actually save their passengers' lives?
To be completely blunt, the chances a FA will ever have to use his/her swimming/floating skill in real life is very slim. The reason being is that following a sea ditching you will most probably be seriously injured but more likely dead, fact!

99% of sea ditchings are of an uncontrolled nature of various degrees and normally result in a complete break up of the fuselage. I only know of one successful control sea landing that resulted in no casualties when a JAL plane landed 2km short of the runway in the shallow waters of the Bay of San Francisco (The plane was recovered, repaired and flown back to Japan!)

There have been a couple of times when planes have over shot the runway and come to rest in relatively shallow water

So to get back to my point, the swimming confidence test is to see how your react and how confident you are in handling the jumping out of the fuselage and flapping your way across the pool.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 9:14 pm

Trish wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Paige wrote: Hi Greenlife,
During the swim test, life jacket is provided. So as long as you are able to float using it, it shouldn't be a problem...

All the best..

Cheers!
Paige

Use your comon sense Paige: you have to be able to swim we have had this argument before!

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

I feel that you should not have 'insult' a human's common sense. I believed that Paige is not encouraging people who cannot swim to join SIA or implying that SIA accept candidates who cannot swim. She just trying to be friendly and encouraging to SQ wannabes who cannot swim well by sharing with them her experiences. So for those people who cannot swim or cannot swim well, it's up to them to decide whether they still want to go ahead or learn and improve their swimming skills before trying again.

I was chatting with Paige just now. She told me that she was not going to post on this forum again. This forum is going to lose another passionate and helpful SQ wannabe. No offence to anyone.

(Please do not correct my English as I admit I do not have aI very good command of English and I am improving it every seconds of my life.THANKS!)

I am not insulting anyone; I find it unbelievable that anybody could suggest that you could become a flight attendant when you cannot swim.
That also puts me in great doubt about whether such a person has ever been anywhere near the selection process. Should you care to look you will find, as I have said so many times before, being able to swim a distance of 25 or 50 metres (distance varying from airline to airline) is a mandatory requirement for any airline. I notice Singapore Airlines has not stated this on its website but common sense should tell anybody who wants such a job that this is a requirement. Think about it, what are you going to do if a plane ends up in the sea in an emergency? The scenario described by Saint is an example even though rare. Hardly needs much integrity to realize this does it?

Regarding some of what you said in the earlier part of your post Paige should be more careful in how she says things otherwise she will give some false hope. I am not meaning to be patronizing but little things like that can cause a 'raft; of problems, believe me I have seen so many rumours start like that. If somebody cannot swim and wants this job so badly then the answer is go and learn, a good many here are young enough not to have to rush to apply every time the vacancies appear in the local newspaper. This is the kind of job you need to plan your application for meticulously given the ferocious competition.

What may surprise you is I am not the nasty man you presume, I would like to see people get jobs they want (I rarely if I ever have) but you have to do some work for that to happen. Please remember any airline can pick and choose its staff and always will. Those people who fill an application with a casual attitude which Paige appear to encourage will get nowhere I assure you.

Your English is fine, that will be a bonus when applying for jobs with companies local or foreign.

Plavt.