Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Post by ryanstarr » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:29 pm

Kel83 wrote:Any guys going for this round of interview???
Yupz, there's a cute guy called Simon Owen going this Saturday.
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:35 pm

ryanstarr wrote:
Kel83 wrote:Any guys going for this round of interview???
Yupz, there's a cute guy called Simon Owen going this Saturday.

Ah, talking about me again.

'nuff said Image

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 1:01 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
Saint wrote:Great avatar Singaporegrrl :)
I concur. Attractive and sensible too. You go girl!
Haha you're too much. Anyways to all who have been asking if I'll be going to the interviews this weekend, I'm not. Reason number 1, I possess neither A levels nor diploma so I can dream of getting a welcoming smile from the interviewers to the next round. Reason number 2, I've just enrolled myself for polytechnic education, 3-year diploma programme. So it's gonna be 3 years to becoming a Singapore Girl for me!

Some of you have been wondering why I've taken a big decision of sacrificing 3 years just to get into SIA. LOL! Actually I've just found this new course at Republic Polytechnic, mainly a study on music management, something I'm planning to do with my friends in the future. So don't worry, it's not about the qualification alone. I'll be pursuing 2 dreams at once. Besides I'm only 19. I don't want to be too old when I finally decide to pursue a diploma. Haha!

Nevertheless I will continue my research and don't stop the PMs! I'd love to continue to encourage aspiring potential FAs coz in turn, one way or another, I'm encouraging myself too.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 1:42 pm

'Funny' how certain questions get asked again and again and....

Having read a few posts, I reckon I myself would know what to expect during the interviews and could probably write a book about it.

Why don't some of you who are 'genuinely' interested scan through the thread, I am very sure all of your concerns have been answered or covered.

Perhaps it 'saves' time to just post a recurring question and takes less effort than actually doing some research (?)....

..if that is so then a different career path is highly recommended.

What ( are the requirements- to expect during the interview- to wear )
How ( to apply- to ace the interview- to pass the water confidence test )
When ( is the next recruitment- ...)

..basic questions that have been answered so many times.

If this is really what you want then put in that little bit of effort and not just by posting the same queries eh....
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Kel83

Post by Kel83 » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 2:56 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
Global Citizen wrote:
Haha you're too much. Anyways to all who have been asking if I'll be going to the interviews this weekend, I'm not. Reason number 1, I possess neither A levels nor diploma so I can dream of getting a welcoming smile from the interviewers to the next round. Reason number 2, I've just enrolled myself for polytechnic education, 3-year diploma programme. So it's gonna be 3 years to becoming a Singapore Girl for me!

Some of you have been wondering why I've taken a big decision of sacrificing 3 years just to get into SIA. LOL! Actually I've just found this new course at Republic Polytechnic, mainly a study on music management, something I'm planning to do with my friends in the future. So don't worry, it's not about the qualification alone. I'll be pursuing 2 dreams at once. Besides I'm only 19. I don't want to be too old when I finally decide to pursue a diploma. Haha!

Nevertheless I will continue my research and don't stop the PMs! I'd love to continue to encourage aspiring potential FAs coz in turn, one way or another, I'm encouraging myself too.
Maybe you should try going for the interview this time round.... Reason being that they didn't state the minimum requirement for education to be either A'levels or Diploma.... They only state A'levels, Diploma or higher preferred.... I feel that if you have what it takes to be an air stewardess.... They might just select you....

Just my 2cents...

:)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 4:26 pm

Ah, Tiki - welcome to the few that just don't understand why this occurs - it's like being in the twilight zone.

'nuff said Image

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 5:17 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
Global Citizen wrote:

Singaporegrrl... Thank you so much!! you r NICE** :D :D :D :D :D

Idealist

Post by Idealist » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 6:22 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:That's ridiculous! More than 10 is too many for a group. Besides, they'll be conducting panel interviews the whole day, unlike in STC where they do it around half the day.
No puns intended. Sometimes, Singaporegrrl comes across as snooty. I agree that there are plenty of repetitive and rhetoric questions in this thread. However, putting others down (even if they are indeed ignorant) is not acceptable. This is in fact, an info-gathering forum. :roll:

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 7:18 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Ah, Tiki - welcome to the few that just don't understand why this occurs - it's like being in the twilight zone.
...'difference in time zone' most likely mate...'jetlag' even. :o
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:06 pm

Idealist wrote:
singaporegrrl wrote:That's ridiculous! More than 10 is too many for a group. Besides, they'll be conducting panel interviews the whole day, unlike in STC where they do it around half the day.
No puns intended. Sometimes, Singaporegrrl comes across as snooty. I agree that there are plenty of repetitive and rhetoric questions in this thread. However, putting others down (even if they are indeed ignorant) is not acceptable. This is in fact, an info-gathering forum. :roll:
I do not agree that Singaporegrrl 'comes across as snooty' she has good reason for making the statement she does which is more than can be said for a few others. As for 'putting others down' perhaps you would care to explain what you mean. Forums can be useful for gathering information I agree but look back through several pages and consider just how silly some of the questions are. Even worse many of the questions asked can easily be answered by going to the appropriate website. For example a question that is sometimes asked is; 'is a particular airline recruiting in a Singapore'. Cathay Pacific was one such airline mentioned yet you only have to go to the aforementioned airline's website and you have your answer in less than two minutes. Do please not that website is easier to navigate than some of the other airlines. Should one ask the question will an airline being holding interviews in Singapore at some time in the future, then the thing to do is to either write or telephone them, writing being the more suitable option.

The truth is some people just cannot be bothered or maybe they just do not want to hear the answer they least want to hear. On top of this we have some 'circus clowns' who think you can apply for a job as a flight attendant when you cannot swim. This is ridiculous as I said in an earlier post being able to swim is a mandatory requirement for any airline although the required distance seems to vary from 25m to 50m.
There was even one poster who asked for the address of the recruitment office for SIA which I can find in less than five minutes at a distance of 9000 miles.

I would not say it is putting anybody 'down' if you point out they are being lazy or just plain silly when they make ridiculous assumptions and argue the point. Remember people have hordes of information at their fingertips which I did not when I was the same age. The point I have so often tried to make is you want this particular job then you are going to have to work at it given the furious competition that exists for any airline. Hope people will think about that.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:09 pm

Here is a link prospective flight attendants should have a look at but please remember this is for UK based airlines so some of the requirements are different to what you can expect elsewhere;

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/hel ... rofile118/

Plavt.

flyaway

Post by flyaway » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:12 pm

I am thoroughly in the mood for a change of career path and am keen to explore one of an air crew. I am contemplating the attempt however, because I just turned 30. Oops, don't jump into conclusions though... I look younger and I qualify all pre-requisites as stated (now that age limit is no longer in it :P ). My only doubt is whether interviewers will be bothered with someone my age. Anyone here might have taken the plunge before? What's your advise? Thanks in advance.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:16 pm

flyaway wrote: (now that age limit is no longer in it :P ). My only doubt is whether interviewers will be bothered with someone my age.
A bit self contradictory aren't you flyaway? :???:
Would you care to explain?

Plavt.

flyaway

Post by flyaway » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:29 pm

Plavt wrote:
flyaway wrote: (now that age limit is no longer in it :P ). My only doubt is whether interviewers will be bothered with someone my age.
A bit self contradictory aren't you flyaway? :???:
Would you care to explain?

Plavt.
Hi Plavt.

Hmm. It is contradicting, what I wrote. Guess my hesitation stemmed from the fact that they used to be keen on applicants no older than 26? There are girls here only in their mid-twenties feeling old... what am I? haha.

Well, curiousity might just get me to the interview this weekend.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 8:36 pm

flyaway,
I think the age concern is aimed more at females than male applicants as generally speaking they do not stay that long. On the other hand the airline prefers this as it has been cutting back on its male staff since they can work until 65 years old. That was the situation back in about 2002 what it is now I do not know as they could have easily changed the terms of contract for male applicants.

Cost cutting again, companies do not want to pay pensions which is the reason for the above. Best advice write to them and ask them about this.

Plavt.