Singapore Expats

Of SP-EU trade and an unprecedented Euro/S$ exchange rate

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Peter

Of SP-EU trade and an unprecedented Euro/S$ exchange rate

Post by Peter » Sun, 14 Dec 2003 3:32 pm

I have been wrecking my brain for several years now on how to generate cashflow from the ever-rising Euro/S$ exchange rate. However, the last few months the Euro has risen so fast that I'm no longer procrastinating; in fact, I would like to get involved in this historic opportunity as soon as possible.

The question is: How.

In light of this issue, I invite you, Singaporeans and expats alike, to a brainstorm thread right here. The aim is to spin off a number of great ideas as to how to best initiate an endevor in which each participant can reep gain.

If you're similarly interested in setting up a mutually beneficial relationship with a company in Europe, then please post your views/suggestions/ambitions/questions here.

My background: I'm an ICT business owner based in Holland. I visit Singapore twice a year. I have also lived in SP. The one thing missing, though, for now, is that spark, that one great idea to set us off. I'm hoping this initiative will become the catalyst I've been looking for.

Meanwhile, I'm also opening up a dialogue with the Singapore Chamber of Commerce, which I will post here as well. IOW, we're gathering interesting information from various relevant sources.

Please note that I'm not offering a quick buck or get-rich scheme. I'm offering a platform to collect ideas, on which like-minded parties can act. Also, let's stick to legal ideas only. Excluded are things like pirate audio/video/sportswear trade, sweat-shop items, XXX projects, recreational drugs etc. Let's do it the fair and honest way.

Looking foreard to your feedback.

Regards,

Peter

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 14 Dec 2003 3:47 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here, but...

...if you think the Euro is going to keep increasing wrt to the S$, why not just convert any Sing assets you have into euros and watch their comparative worth rise? Or, since you're in Europe, buy anything made in Singapore and pay for it with S$.

That said, forecasting exchange rates is a fool's game, and all you're doing is gambling on the current movement continuing. And FWIW, right now it's not really so much a case of the euro rising as it is of the dollar sinking...

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun, 14 Dec 2003 5:05 pm

Yes Jpatokal, I take your point. But, in practice, it's the current ratio between the currencies that counts, as well as the direction it has been headed, not the whys and wherefores of the fundamentals. I'm not an economist, nor an analyst.

Further, I'm not trying to forecast. I'm trying to get a means in place in order for me (and other participants) to gain from the current situation. And I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone dive in willy-nilly and sign a 10-year contract.

Keep in mind, however, that the Euro has built a massive margin over the US$ and thus the S$ the past, say, 2 years. In light of this, the trading environment will be in our favor for a long time yet.

What's more, if you only want to participate in any business endevor if it comes with 0% risk, then I suggest you get a 9-to-5 job somewhere.

Of course I realise that goods from Singapore, Malaysia, China etc. are cheap when buying in Euro currency, and that's something that certainly has my attention. But essentially, this is just a continuation of what's been done for centuries - import/export of goods. What I'm trying to do is to think out of the box here, for instance maybe involve the Internet in such a way that 1 + 1 = 3.

There must be a way to fuse this exchange rate discrepancy with the Internet, thereby creating a way to generate funds. That's what we should be after.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:37 am

At the risk of sounding patronizing:

You speak of cashflow, fund generation and leveraging the Internet, but you say nothing of the actual business? At the end of the day, you have to provide something that somebody wants and do it better than the competition, not just gamble on a get-rich-quick scheme.

And as for forecasting, if your magic trick relies on the strength of the euro vs. the S$, you had better make hope it stays that way... :roll:

Post by Guest » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 4:46 am

You don't sound patronizing. You sound like someone who didn't read my first post.

In it, I say that what I would like to do is find out how, how to generate funds, how. I'm inviting readers to join a brainstorm session with the aim to find out if we can locate the killer-application that will benefit all parties involved.

And, again, no, I'm not certain that this Euro/S$ situation will remain the status quo for years to come. That's the whole idea about entrepreneurship, isn't it? If you know everything before you start, then where's the thrill? Where's the reward for your insight?

Anyways, looking at your various comments here and there, you are very good at placing a lot of hit-and-run posts that just comprise either a sweeping or second-guessing statement, seemingly with the sole aim to provoke a retaliation, but with very little use or even relevancy. Here's a radical thought: read what others are posting and then try saying something with added value.

Good luck.

Post by Guest » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:You don't sound patronizing. You sound like someone who didn't read my first post.

In it, I say that what I would like to do is find out how, how to generate funds, how. I'm inviting readers to join a brainstorm session with the aim to find out if we can locate the killer-application that will benefit all parties involved.

And, again, no, I'm not certain that this Euro/S$ situation will remain the status quo for years to come. That's the whole idea about entrepreneurship, isn't it? If you know everything before you start, then where's the thrill? Where's the reward for your insight?

Anyways, looking at your various comments here and there, you are very good at placing a lot of hit-and-run posts that just comprise either a sweeping or second-guessing statement, seemingly with the sole aim to provoke a retaliation, but with very little use or even relevancy. Here's a radical thought: read what others are posting and then try saying something with added value.

Good luck.
hi Peter

, i am dealing with European products, interested to see what we can do together, pls do visit my website,

www.The-apparatus.com

btw, we are a new startup, always looking for business opporunity

Cheers,

mike