Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Re: interview for SIA

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 8:26 am

Paige wrote:Please attend if you really want to become a cabin crew..
Because the last time SIA conduct their walk-in interview was about 5 years ago I think?
Lol the number 5 is abit exagerating. I think it was around 2-3 years ago since the last walk-in. I wonder how come suddenly there's a walk-in for SIA. I was shocked!
Paige wrote:Dear singaporegrrl and chiken_c,
Yes. I'm going to apply for the cadet cabin crew executive.

Good for you!More opportunities for you ahead. Good luck!
zin wrote:i sent my resume for SIA air stewardess and got a reply to go for the interview at mertius mandarin . Anyone know what to wear for the interview? :)
Watch The Apprentice for some idea.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

voxvox

Post by voxvox » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 9:38 am

zin wrote:i sent my resume for SIA air stewardess and got a reply to go for the interview at mertius mandarin . Anyone know what to wear for the interview? :)
Hi Zin,

Since its an interview, i feel that one should wear something formal. Just like the way you dress when you went for a job interview. Maybe a shirt and skirt or pants? Or a suit is even better?

However, i have also seen applicants wearing tee shirts and jeans and they still got into the 2nd round.

The choice is yours. :)

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Post by ryanstarr » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:35 am

I saw in the Classifieds today of the interviews at the Meritus Mandarin. I think it's opposite Suntec. Looks like it's a walk-in type of interviews. See you all there...my guy friend will be going. :)

sq_boy
Regular
Regular

Meritus Mandarin

Post by sq_boy » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:54 am

ryanstarr wrote:I saw in the Classifieds today of the interviews at the Meritus Mandarin. I think it's opposite Suntec. Looks like it's a walk-in type of interviews. See you all there...my guy friend will be going. :)
Hey ryanstarr, Meritus Mandarin is located right beside Ngee Ann City, the one that you are referring to is Marina Mandarin. :wink:

zin

Post by zin » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:32 am

Thanks voxvox :D ! I still dunno wad to wear :???: ...if it you, what would you wear? Formal or causual?
yar.... and If i want to call my friend along, should she sent a resume too or should she just walk-in? Will there be a overflow of cabin-crew wannabes?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:05 pm

zin wrote:Thanks voxvox :D ! I still dunno wad to wear :???: ...if it you, what would you wear? Formal or causual?
yar.... and If i want to call my friend along, should she sent a resume too or should she just walk-in? Will there be a overflow of cabin-crew wannabes?
Zin, yikes I don't want to be rude but where's your common sense and how old are you?

If you're serious about a job and want to be taken seriously and make a right impression, which do you think- jeans or more formal wear would work in your favour? Never ever go for an interview without a resume, yes even a walk-in. If I were interviewing you and you walked in with nothing, I'd disqualify you immediately because you were unprepared and wasted my time. Would you go swimming in a public pool without your swimsuit on; so why would you or your friend go for a job interview without a resume?

It's a pity that so many young people these days are so clueless about basic requirements, when a little thinking on your part could save you the trouble. You have so many tools at your beck and call to read up and prepare these days, things that I never had access to in my time and yet we have the same inane questions over and over again. BTW this thread is over 300 pages long and there are several others on various airlines here as well, so you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that yes there "will be an overflow of cabin crew wannabees." All the more reason for you to give it your best shot by being totally prepared. Read up on the airline's history, how many destinations they serve, how many different fleets of aircraft they have currently and for God's sake, speak proper English and not Singlish when you're there. Diction, grammar, enunciation are important as you are applying for a job that serves the public and good communication skills are essential in making a right impression.

OK my rant's over and I'm sorry if I've been tough but what's with the younger generation these days?
Last edited by Global Citizen on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One man's meat is another's poison.

zin

wow

Post by zin » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:45 pm

Wow Global Citizen, i was shocked to read your reply. But thanks for providing the extra information. Most young people are too dependent nowadays that's why.
watch the movie " I not stupid 2!" Its nice

prince

Post by prince » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:48 pm

wow another interview again so soon? gues they really need a lot of people. heard they need abt 800 plus more. my training has started n its tiring.. but fun. heh

chiken_c

Post by chiken_c » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 2:40 pm

hmm..i guess they are increasing the no of people because they are increasing the number of flights to many places? i saw the chart they are increasing their no of flights from 7x to 21x to taipei!!

and prince do u want to share more abt ur training? wahaha...

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 3:22 pm

What Global Citizen said was right. If you really want this job, you really have to take it seriously. Don't wear jeans and t-shirt. It shows unprofessionalism, unless you are sure you will pass through each round smoothly. Well, I'd really doubt that. It is better to dress conservative than to be too daring. A suitable attire would be business wear.

Guys should wear shirt, tie, pants and socks and dress shoes. Ladies should wear blouse, skirt, neutral color or skin color stockings and court shoes (one to one and a half inch heels are preferred by any airlines). I read somewhere that airlines prefer skirts than pants for ladies. I even read once that pants is a no-no for any airlines. It's really up to you.

Of course, hair should be more natural colored. Tied up or bun up neatly for ladies and guys, you know how you should keep your hair neat. For guys, earrings are still a no-no and wearing more than one ring on your fingers is not going to get you any brownie points either. I would not even wear a bracelet and would settle for a conservative watch. Try to look like a businessman/woman who came to close a serious deal. In this case, your serious deal is to be a flight attendant.

Make sure you bring all the relevant documents to the interview; application form, resume, educational certifcates, photographs, etc. I would bring a copy of the educational certificates just in case they want to keep them.

What should you say during the interview during the one-minute speech? Start with condensing your resume and application form information into your one-minute speech. Write it down. Present the highlights of your life. Identify what the airline gains by hiring you. Find a reason why you and the airline are such a good combination. If you have additional language proficiency, make them known. It requires a bit of research on the company; its history, achievements, fleets, etc. Your research will go a long way throughout the whole recruitment exercise.

Try to calm yourself while you wait for your turn. Being too nervous won't bring you to the next step because airlines want confident individuals. You are there for only one reason - to sell yourself. Remember that airline may keep their eye on you already while you wait (but don't get paranoid about that). Be confident and think you are unique (trust me, you are). Think positive and believe in yourself. The key is to know your worth, present it right and have fun. Don't forget to show your most valuable asset - YOUR SMILE.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 5:07 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
Paige wrote:Please attend if you really want to become a cabin crew..
Because the last time SIA conduct their walk-in interview was about 5 years ago I think?
Lol the number 5 is abit exagerating. I think it was around 2-3 years ago since the last walk-in. I wonder how come suddenly there's a walk-in for SIA. I was shocked!

Hi Singaporegrrl,
Yup the number 5 is abit exaggerating but the last time I went for their walk-in interview was in 2001 and I had tried again since 2003 where it's write-in.
Btw, the recruitment ad is posted in today's Straits Times, pg R30. :)

All the best...

Cheers!
Paige :wink:

Kel83

Post by Kel83 » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 8:31 pm

Any guys going for this round of interview???

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 9:33 pm

A very mature and informative posting Singaporegrrl :)

voxvox

Attire

Post by voxvox » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 9:35 pm

zin wrote:Thanks voxvox :D ! I still dunno wad to wear :???: ...if it you, what would you wear? Formal or causual?
Hi Zin,

If i am going, i will be wearing a business suit (jacket and skirt). And if your friend is coming along as well, it is not neccessary to send in a resume. All you need to do is to go to the website and print the application form. Have it completed with a passport size photograph and a full length photo of yourself. Most importantly, bring those relevant documents that they stated in the website or The Straits Time recruit (18/2/06).

I guess since they advertised in the newspaper, we can expect a crowd. Hereby, wishing everyone good luck and all the best! :D

voxvox

Interview Stages

Post by voxvox » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 9:57 pm

I guess since there is a recruitment going on very soon, people will also start asking what to be expected from the interview rounds. I have been through it once and will like to share my experience with everyone. Hope they are useful and will get everyone prepared.

I got the information below from some previous pages in the forum and added some words of my own. And if anyone find any discrepancy, please feel free to highlight to us. :D

Day 1 - Round 1: 10 interviewees in a room. Different questions posed so dont harp on any generic ones? Upon successful clearance, you will remain for round 2.

Day 1 - Round 2: 1-1 interview with an interviewer. Upon successful clearance, you will be rewarded with day 2 programs. They will ask you to bun up your hair if your hair is long. This is for the kebaya fitting.

Day 2 - Round 1: Kebaya fitting. Those who make it through the 2nd round will be asked to try the uniform. After that, one by one, the candidate will go into the well lit room with 3 interviewers with which one of them will be a beautician who will check for obvious scars. The candidate will be asked to walk to and forth the room. A tray will be handed to her and she is to stretch out her hands holding the tray.

After everyone has been through the stage, results will be announced. Those who did not make it through will be asked to leave. Those who did it, will stay for the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This is rather a “killer”