Singapore Expats

Ovens in kitchens???

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Nancy I

Ovens in kitchens???

Post by Nancy I » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 7:56 am

Hi,
I have seen / heard that ovens are rare in the apartments. :o We will be living on a budget and I am affaid that the apartment we get will not have an oven. I use mine everyday for cooking and baking!!
My question is....are there ovens (bigger than a toaster oven) that you can buy that would fit on the counter top???? If so, how much do these approximently cost???
Thanks so much for your answers!! :)
Nancy :)

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Post by bushbride » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Nancy,

I noticed this too. The newer condos generally have ovens, but older apprtnement don't - Singaporians don't use ovens they are wok cookers. I will be in the same situation as you and have had a (very brief) look around at portable ovens.

They range in size and I have seen mircowave sized and bigger 'portable ovens' on sale at the Marina Plaza 'Harvey Norman Mega Superstore' - seriously that's its name :) Prices were rnaging from $300, to full blown designer ovens, depending on the brand, size and, of course, the sale on there this week.
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

Nancy I

Ovens in Singapore?

Post by Nancy I » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 9:40 pm

Thanks for the great info! I wish I was there for the sale!! :)

James**
Regular
Regular

Post by James** » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 9:51 pm

Try to tell the housing agent that an oven is a prerequisite and he should be able to find apartments that have this in the kitchen. It is usually installed below the stove for most.
Good luck!

:)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 2:09 pm

Hi Nancy,

While it's true a lot of Singaporeans don't use an oven that often, I'm not sure its entirely accurate to say they are all 'wok cookers'. In fact, any store selling appliances: Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Courts, etc.. all have counter top style ovens. So someone must be baking. You can also ask you landlord for one, often they will install or buy you one as terms of leasing. Good luck.

MHB

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Post by vaishali » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 4:28 pm

We bought a fairly good oven that fits on our counter top, but it gets fairly hot when in use, so you have to be careful about cupboards that are above the counters. We bought ours from Takashimaya, they had a few for sale. Ours was a delonghi or something like that, and cost about $130. However, there were others there that looked like it'd work a lot better. They were all large enough to hold a rotisserie chicken.

Just have a look around. We don't use our oven that often, but when we do, it works a treat. We just have to make sure we don't use the posted temperature that's in the cook book. If it says "200 degrees celcius" then we have to use it at around 150 degrees celcius.

Good luck. Like others have posted, newer flats or flats that have been renovated recently will probably have ovens. You just have to look around and see what you need, as opposed to the price. An older apartment will sometimes be cheaper, but you might not have an oven. So yeh, just have a look around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no spoon. 8)

timpassey

Post by timpassey » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 5:07 pm

why does being on a budget necessitate you having an oven? it is much, much cheaper to eat out here than to cook...?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 5:25 pm

timpassey wrote:why does being on a budget necessitate you having an oven? it is much, much cheaper to eat out here than to cook...?
I agree, most of the time it's cheaper, easier and more convenient to eat out but people still like a bit of "Home" cooking now again like a traditional roast or home baked cakes :)

If you've got a couple of Dustbin Lids it's probably not an option to eat out all the time anyway.

Nancy I

Ovens in kitchens??

Post by Nancy I » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:20 am

Thanks for all the info! I am sure we will eat out some when we get there but I bake alot and my family likes my cooking!! :) I am glad there are some options to the ovens there. i would love to find a place with an oven already there or have my landlord put one in. Thanks. You guys are a big help! :)

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”