Singapore Expats

Was the sensor asleep?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Was the sensor asleep?

Post by Em Eye » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:43 pm

I was flipping through the channels last night and caught the end of a programme about giving birth on the Discovery Channel.

It was quite amazing. They showed the baby in the womb (not sure if it was actually in the womb or computer generated). They also showed the head crowning and then the baby being born. They also showed the baby on the mothers breast.

It was only after the fact that I realise that I'd seen a women's private parts and nipple on TV in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Em Eye » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:44 pm

Didn't mean to sound like a teenager but just found it strange...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 2:51 pm

Actually, doesn't surprise me. A number of years ago, 8~10 maybe, they showed the mini-series Chaka Zulu uncut here as well on primetime. Just never can tell how their minds works in the censor board.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 6:34 pm

I would not know how the censors think in Singapore but maybe they disregarded it as it was something educational. I remember exactly the same thing being shown on British television when I was a child. At that time regulations here were much like those remaining in Singapore. Actually Singapore reminds me of Britain during the 1960's and era in which I grew up.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:37 am

I remember seeing someone's bum on tv once, when I was about 10 and thinking 'Kerrrrumbs'..........and if you saw a breast you'd blush like a beetroot.......

Ah for the olden days.............here in the UK you get all sorts of things shown.....(even the old no-no of mens bits is now on the menu....they get shown after 11, but not in a stand to attention phase!)....mind you, we get those sorts of movies to rent on the tv channels here, every night after 10 I think it is. Then you can see anything....yep, anything.

There seem to be tons of programmes on Sky here about women popping out their babies, all bits shown....unless it's an American programme then we get the area concerned 'frosted'.....

I have to say I still find it embarrassing to watch those things in front of my kids, even though they're adults. Does anyone else feel the same? (Not saying these things have no interest though, just that....there's a time and place, isn't there?)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:07 am

Bubbles wrote:I have to say I still find it embarrassing to watch those things in front of my kids, even though they're adults. Does anyone else feel the same? (Not saying these things have no interest though, just that....there's a time and place, isn't there?)
I do though I'm so much more open with my son than my parents were with me but I guess with every generation, no matter how open minded we think we are, there's still a generation gap of sort.