Singapore Expats

sayonara (mean forever never meet )

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
may4
Regular
Regular

sayonara (mean forever never meet )

Post by may4 » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 9:44 am

Hi all im not sure suppose I can have right to post
any view in the joke and rubbish forum it just happen
that it may be sick to many people in this forum but
anyway I did'nt owe anyone any explanation and having
no intention to apologies since it was just out of fun as
im a happpy going person and no reason to experience
other's countries disasters. anyway me and my husband
dislike caucasian and do not wish to bother their cultural
it would be the best for me to walk off happily to other
forum that can create joke and fun.. sayonara... have a
nice day :D

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 9:58 am

Good. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. Good riddance to a bad smell.
One in the hand is worth two of something

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 4:22 pm

I have never understood how people turn so rigid in their likes and dislikes, specially when it comes to people. Words like - "I only like Caucasians" or "I only like Asians" reek of stupidity.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 4:42 pm

Bt I am allowed to say that I like Sapphire . . .

(Anyway, you expect reason or logic from someone like may4? Also amazing how she rags on her hubby all the time but now includes him as a sign of solidarity . . . )

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 6:22 pm

I would be very careful May some of the Japanese I met in this country were amongs the nastiest creatures I have ever met.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 9:57 pm

Oh, you're leaving May 4?
So did anyone ever find out who her husband is? The one who thought our eyes were popping out of our heads with, what was it, obscurity? profanity?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:14 am

Quasimodo wrote:Bt I am allowed to say that I like Sapphire . . .
Awwww. :kiss:

To be honest I think may4 is from Mars. :lol:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 3:36 pm

I don't really like the way May4 sounds and how she just totally dismisses all other races. However, she does have a point here.

I have interacted with many cultures (middle easterns, europeans, africans and various regional asians) in the USA and find that it is very hard for non-East Asian (east-Asian= Chinese, koreans and Japanese) to understand our philosophy and way of looking at things. Just go read the mistreated maid threads and you will see how misunderstood SGeans are. It is totally understandable why it is hard to get our cultures. East Asians are generally very private and you have to move very close within the circle to get the subtlety.

E.g if you compliment a Chinese on what a wonderful job he did at work (provided it is a chinese environment/company), he will immediately try to deflect attention away from himself and make up excuses to the effect that he is really not deserving of the compliment or alternatively, he will say something like he is just doing his part for the group/company. In short, he is trying to be humble but to a non-East Asian, he may appear to be meek and lack the graciousness to accept an honest compliment.

Another uniquely East-Asian characteristic I can think of is the way we run businesses. Traditional (I use the term "traditional" as there are corrupt and self-centered chinese businessmen out there too) chinese businesses like to treat its employees as part of a large family and believe in sharing the success (and losses) of the company. Two decades ago, depending on company's profitablilty, it was common for employees to receive huge annual bonuses (equivalent to 6 months to 24 months of salary). I think many companies in Taiwan gave out 12 months bonuses while SG lesser. Japan too offered such bonuses to its employees, usually minimum of 6 months worth of salary. The mentality here is to share your wealth with those who has a part in it. Just like how the pirates would share their loot. Sadly, such practices are diminishing (partly due to narrower profit margin) as Chinese companies have to compete in a global economy where the main focus is on the bottom line.

Compared to corporate America, Chinese businesses are not as quick to lay-off workers (meaning they also have to be prudent about hiring practices) as they tend to have more of a "heart" and understand how their decision would personally affect a person.

Many years ago, Kingston Technology (founded by two Chinese immigrants) made headline news in the US when they gave out hefty bonuses to every single employee (not just the top excutives). I guess it made headline news as such a concept (sharing of wealth with every single member of the company) is foreign to US but little do they know it is a very common practice in East Asia. Here's linky about Kingston Tech.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/121796/company.htm

http://www.vantaggiohr.com/eMachines%20 ... gister.pdf

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 5:42 pm

Just go read the mistreated maid threads and you will see how misunderstood SGeans are

. . . and misunderstood by your own courts as well . . .

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 9:34 pm

Earthfriendly, May4 is equally rude to Japanese people. Strange how she continues to write little quotes in Japanese all over the place. I really don't think it's cultural misunderstanding at all.

Dianthus

Post by Dianthus » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 4:48 pm

k1w1 wrote:Earthfriendly, May4 is equally rude to Japanese people. Strange how she continues to write little quotes in Japanese all over the place. I really don't think it's cultural misunderstanding at all.
Oh k1w1, you must have read my mind! :o
Honestly, I often clicked to post a reply on her posting as it just got me upset every time I read her posting. But I couldn't post them as they were simply angry replies. Quite a relieve to see her go, to be honest.

There may be some nasty Japanese out there but certainly there are nice ones too. Hope you guys meet the latter ones. :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 6:19 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
Just go read the mistreated maid threads and you will see how misunderstood SGeans are

. . . and misunderstood by your own courts as well . . .
oh please, don't be obtuse. don't want to start this all over again but our courts have yet to pass a verdict of mistreatment cos an employer did not give the maid her own room / bed / every sunday off. what constitutes mistreatment according to some on this forum and according to the courts are vastly different.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:06 pm

I don't believe obtuse is the correct word in this context, and I'm not digging anything up - it's in the thread

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:31 pm

i did mean obtuse but ok, peace quasi. we've been through this several times too many already. :-#

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:10 pm

No probs, but obtuse?
Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
Characterized by a lack of intelligence.
Not distinctly felt: an obtuse pain.

Not sharp, pointed, or acute in form; blunt.
Having an obtuse angle: an obtuse triangle.
Botany. Having a blunt or rounded tip: an obtuse leaf.

Never have been accused of any of the above - except for the having an obtuse angle, but that was due to a broken collar bone . . .