Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
I'M*(!_!)*Julie
Regular
Regular

Congrats!!!

Post by I'M*(!_!)*Julie » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 1:10 pm

Dear All,

For those who make it for the management interview!!!! CONGRATS!!! :D You are one BIG step ahead towards your dream now. Now, all the best to your medical test and I hope everything will go well. Remember, stay on track and you will be what you want to be!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Never Regret, As Life Is Too Short For Regrets!

Carina

Do anyone have any idea?

Post by Carina » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 3:34 pm

Hi, I understand that the recruitment for SIA has just finished? Could anyone please tell me when would they have a next recruitment? Thanks in advance.

M
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Do anyone have any idea?

Post by M » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 4:48 pm

Carina wrote:Hi, I understand that the recruitment for SIA has just finished? Could anyone please tell me when would they have a next recruitment? Thanks in advance.
Probably 3 months or lesser? :P

M :cool:

Carina

Post by Carina » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 5:37 pm

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. [/quote]

Menaquinone

Post by Menaquinone » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 8:51 pm

AirCon wrote:It certainly is as they expect a certain fluency in English - something sorely lacking on these posts.
I applaud your forthrightness. **is there such a word? **
Anyway...ya..learning a language even for your own mother tongue is a lifelong process. Some take it slowly but others just speed things up a little.

jus buffering,
MK4
Last edited by Menaquinone on Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Menaquinone

Post by Menaquinone » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:01 pm

Plavt wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:
Plavt wrote:
I hope people applying for this airine take the trouble to check up on the society in which they will be living. Remember it is an a Arab country where women will not have the freedom they have in Singapore.

I suggest reading up on; society and conduct, dangers and annoyances, law, women. There is usually a section on these things in the 'Lonely Planet Guide' which you can use as a start.

In addition;http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/qa.html

Plavt.
Hey there,
IS Qatar a close competitor of SQ? Did a quick check on Skytrax and apparently so. However, i was surprised that Emirates as a prestigious airline was not ranked amongst the 5-star airlines. And to my Horror of Horrors, Malaysia Airlines is actually a top-notch player in this arena..unbelievable.

And Qatar, i've nv heard or seen it. Except in English PRemier Leagues where you see lots of advertisements lying on the periphery of the field :wink: and Qatar is one of them.

So Plavt, just wanna double check with ya... if Qatar Airs is indeed one prestigious airline..Don't really wanna join some XXX airline that conducts retrenchment exercises now and then.

best regards,
MK4
Yes Menaquinone, Qatar is a prestigious airline and it really will not be any easier to join than Singapore Airlines. Unless I am very much mistaken the airline caters mainly to business class passengers who are far more demanding as frequent fliers and whose companies pay a much higher premium. That gives some idea of the caliber of person they are looking for and may well be an even higher standard than Singapore Airlines when you think of the region in which the airline is based.

As regards retrenchments (we call them redundancies in this part of the world) that is just a chance you take. All international airlines are dependant on the world economy and should there be another oil crisis, SARS (let's hope not), bird flu epidemic it really will cause an awful lot of people a lot of problems.

Do remember the Middle East is what many of us here would call a 'trouble spot' which is why it is advisable to read the newspapers and what goes on in that region.

Please remember this airline like any other major player will not be short of applicants which means they can pick and choose apart from likely having high standards as I implied above.

Best to sit down and have a good think or read about the culture, religion, society in which you might live, as us English say: 'look before you leap'.

Plavt.

Ps: See if you can find the 'Lonely Planet' travel guide on the Arabian Peninsula that's a start to finding out about life in the region but don't just stop at that.
Thanks Plavt,

I've done alittle bit of a homework on the state of Qatar. .. Online.
Err herrm..in Singlish " very WULU" Excuse me.. ha.

Those were lovely chunks of information provided but there is one point i must contend with tho. Qatar is a very young airline and in terms of history + fleet size, SQ wins hands down. So from my eyes, i would think that SQ is in a league of its own..gee..or am i too patriotic?

Btw, I am just wondering if mingling with the staff on the day of the interview will be helpful in allowing them to know me better?

kind regards,
MK4

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:13 pm

Menaquinone,

I would agree with you Singapore Airlines wins hands down, not simply because it is bigger but it has far more experience on account of its history and working in multicultural environments. I do not know much about Qatar Air but I suspect the airline is orientated far more towards the business community than many others hence their choosiness when it comes to speaking English!

Mixing with the staff is an idea but not to simply get to know you better, try to think of some sensible questions that show you are interested but are not so dumb you will make a rash decision. There are a good many on this forum who know nothing and have made no effort to find out what life in the Middle East is like, something some may come to regret.

Hope this is of use to you.

Plavt.

mamom

Post by mamom » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:25 pm

Plavt wrote:Menaquinone,

I would agree with you Singapore Airlines wins hands down, not simply because it is bigger but it has far more experience on account of its history and working in multicultural environments. I do not know much about Qatar Air but I suspect the airline is orientated far more towards the business community than many others hence their choosiness when it comes to speaking English!

Mixing with the staff is an idea but not to simply get to know you better, try to think of some sensible questions that show you are interested but are not so dumb you will make a rash decision. There are a good many on this forum who know nothing and have made no effort to find out what life in the Middle East is like, something some may come to regret.

Hope this is of use to you.

Plavt.

Now days Qatar is SIA competitors. Even our PM also praise their crews are so friendly, and alot of feedback from customers rather take Qatar coz the prise is much more cheaper but having the same hospitality.
N they recruit alot of SIA ex-cabin crews, and now their FA chief also is former SIA's even the way they train.
All this were on last weekend straits times.
Last edited by mamom on Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EaStSider~

Post by EaStSider~ » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:43 pm

All this were on last weekend straight times.[/quote]

Gee...I thought it was the 'bendy times'? :P
"Learning is the beginning of wealth.Learning is the beginning of health.Learning is the beginning of spirituality.Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins." ~ Jim Rohn

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:55 pm

Mamon,

Current number of destinations for Qatar Air is 60 and the airline does not fly to America or Australia. The fleet size is yet to total 52 aircraft.

While one can believe they take ex-SIA staff the word 'lot' would doubtless be an exaggeration on account of the size of the fleet amongst other factors.

Although the flight attendant training chief is ex SIA the training will be tailored to the needs of the airline.

As for the prices being cheaper I cannot comment at the moment as I unable to access Singapore Airlines website but this may be a promotion stunt. On the other hand Singapore Airlines has never been reputed for being cheap and does not pretend to be either.

Plavt.

mamom

Post by mamom » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:14 pm

Plavt wrote:Mamon,

Current number of destinations for Qatar Air is 60 and the airline does not fly to America or Australia. The fleet size is yet to total 52 aircraft.

While one can believe they take ex-SIA staff the word 'lot' would doubtless be an exaggeration on account of the size of the fleet amongst other factors.

Although the flight attendant training chief is ex SIA the training will be tailored to the needs of the airline.

As for the prices being cheaper I cannot comment at the moment as I unable to access Singapore Airlines website but this may be a promotion stunt. On the other hand Singapore Airlines has never been reputed for being cheap and does not pretend to be either.

Plavt.

Yes. plavt...but they r expanding now...But they said, SIA is their role model. Thats y alot of things they learn from SIA.

But they grow very fast..All these r from press.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:19 pm

Menaquinone wrote:
AirCon wrote:It certainly is as they expect a certain fluency in English - something sorely lacking on these posts.
I applaud your forthrightness. **is there such a word? **
Anyway...ya..learning a language even for your own mother tongue is a lifelong process. Some take it slowly but others just speed things up a little.

jus buffering,
MK4

I guess I just look at my situation. English is not my mother tongue, not even my second language, but I cannot imagine working in a 'higher-level', customer-facing job without having an excellent grasp of it. To put it simply, this is the first barrier to anyone getting anywhere in an international job.

I do wish the people here get their 'dreamjob', but what is annoying is the constant crap about 'lucky this and lucky that', 'don't listen to Plavt, Saint or Vaucluse - they're just trying to get you down' etc . . . .

You will not get a job with SIA, or any 'better' job by being lucky - that is total and complete bullshit and is a sad excuse for not preparing for your interview process. If you didn't get the job there is a reason. Analyse yourself and work on what you think let you down in the interview - FORGET ABOUT THE NOTION THAT IT WAS BAD LUCK. Something made you not pass the exam - work on it.
Presenation, language fluency, confidence, knowledge, swimming (NOT just FLOATING), meeting the minimum stated requirements etc . . .

(How long before the first Einstein asks about the colour of the uniform?)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:39 pm

Quasimodo wrote: , 'don't listen to Plavt, Saint or Vaucluse - they're just trying to get you down' etc . . . .

Excuse me, I am not trying to get anyone 'down' just simply point out a few factors that people overlook and of course the idiot idea of some that you do not have to be able to swim. You obviously do not know that I have helped (at least I hope so) some people on this forum in very small way. What you say is commendable but I do resent the remark.
:shooting:

Plavt.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:48 pm

Ahem, Plavt - my point exactly - please see the punctuation marks around the line you quote.
One in the hand is worth two of something

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:01 am

Quasimodo wrote:Ahem, Plavt - my point exactly - please see the punctuation marks around the line you quote.
You should have read a good many of my other posts before making conclusions based on conjecture - certainly have a high opinion of yourself don't you? On the other hand maybe you just have a personality as ugly as your avatar.

Plavt.