Singapore Expats

PR Chances without Company Signature?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

PR Chances without Company Signature?

Post by riversandlakes » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:39 pm

Hi forumers,

Nearing my 6th month, and will attempt PR application mostly for immigration status security...

I've heard from the grapevine that the firm, despite being Fortune 500 for some reason engaged in some "unhappy episodes" by doing the US Congress equivalent of "filibustering" some Indian applicant's forms. I made plans and they'll be slightly derailed if the firm filibustered my application.

I read in the Appendix A that in lieu of firm's signature, 6 months of pay-slips are required. And that firm's signature serves to ease application and expedite somewhat.

Will it decrease my chances of a successful application you think if I were to bypass the company's signature?
I just don't know how a Fortune 500 firm can be so narrow-minded about 3% additional expenses on an employee's CPF :roll:
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:17 am

First of all, it is substantially more than 3 percent... a lot more if you are under 50... and it increases each year until you hit year 3 at which time you are taxed just like a citizen.

It is my SWAG that the government is most interested in your productivity, your earning capability, your taxes paid. While an employer signature would be nice, what really matters is that you are a positive contribution to the economy.

http://www.cpf.gov.sg/cpf_info/Online/SPRs-A-2006.asp

kitin82

Re: PR Chances without Company Signature?

Post by kitin82 » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 9:18 am

riversandlakes wrote:Hi forumers,

Nearing my 6th month, and will attempt PR application mostly for immigration status security...

I've heard from the grapevine that the firm, despite being Fortune 500 for some reason engaged in some "unhappy episodes" by doing the US Congress equivalent of "filibustering" some Indian applicant's forms. I made plans and they'll be slightly derailed if the firm filibustered my application.

I read in the Appendix A that in lieu of firm's signature, 6 months of pay-slips are required. And that firm's signature serves to ease application and expedite somewhat.

Will it decrease my chances of a successful application you think if I were to bypass the company's signature?
I just don't know how a Fortune 500 firm can be so narrow-minded about 3% additional expenses on an employee's CPF :roll:
Hi...

Juz giving you suggestions based on a friend's experience.. A friend of mine, a PRC national, was havin the same problem before. Her company gave her empty promises of helping her to obtain her PR, so after a year, she got fed up and tried to apply herself. Well, basically it would be better off to get them to sign the paper,but as the form says, its actually not a MUST, as the signature doesn't mean that they're sponsoring u or something,its just to verify that you're really employed in their firm. But most company are afraid to help them,as they foresee that after the employee got the PR, they may just quit. Well, it could be that CPF contribution from the employer adds on to their unwillingness to sign. So what my friend did was write a letter explaining the situation that the employer is reluctant to sign as they are afraid of the possibilities that you may "run" after getting ur PR. You can attached this letter with copies of your payslip and the PR application, but leave the section that are supposed to be filled up by the employer blank!! I'm not saying that this will guarrantee you your approval, but you can give it a try, coz my friend's PR is successful! But do know that after they give you an approval, you'll be given another form by ICA for the employer to sign :???: (yeah...AGAIN???) So at this point of time, you have to be able to convince them to sign!! Good luck....Do update us about your outcome okay...
:)

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:35 pm

SE, that's what I thought. Perhaps that's why this is mentioned in the FAQ and that it is not a requirement for firm's signature. Kudos to the policymakers.

kitin, I totally understand the whys of these narrow-minded firms - the 4% CPF contribution (dont' know why I typed 3% up there hehe) and that we'll run afterwards. While I cannot explain away the former, but the latter is just plain naive.

Who told them that EP holders are locked in? There is such a thing as EP cancelation and new application, as everyone knows - but them :?

Oh well, I need to seriously consider if I were to bypass the firm altogether.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.