Singapore Expats

know of any good digital camera?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
blue twinkle

know of any good digital camera?

Post by blue twinkle » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 9:26 pm

any recommendations on digital cameras? i need one mid-priced range with zoom and macro functions. also one with stabliszer. so i can still take pics in fairly dark conditions minus flash. i had a lumix panasonic i think it was FZ3. - was easy to use but unfortunately, i noticed the colour was quite inaccurate. (was taking pics of artworks -painting.) thanks.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Post by Scorpion » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 3:20 am

These are the forum that had been with same title, browse thru it to get some help

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: know of any good digital camera?

Post by Bremen » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 2:19 pm

blue twinkle wrote:any recommendations on digital cameras? i need one mid-priced range with zoom and macro functions. also one with stabliszer. so i can still take pics in fairly dark conditions minus flash. i had a lumix panasonic i think it was FZ3. - was easy to use but unfortunately, i noticed the colour was quite inaccurate. (was taking pics of artworks -painting.) thanks.
Then go for Canon or Sony. But the models with image stabilizer will cost you upwards of SGD 650.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

blue twinkle

Post by blue twinkle » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 3:44 pm

thanks for all your tips. i do need one with accurate colour though. when you say sony and canon, would you know the model as well...yes, i have a budget of around 700. i would need to spend this much to get the features taht i have mentioned.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 4:12 pm

Sony H1 or the Canon S2. These are the 12x Optical zoom prosumer cameras.

If you don't need that much of a zoom and want something pocketable, you can also try a Panasonic DMC-LX1
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Light

Post by Light » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 1:07 am

I have used the Canon S2 IS with 12X optical zoom for the past few months.

The photo quality is simply outstanding on this camera.
It's a fantastic camera with a neat VGA motion picture recording capability at 30 frames/sec, and therefore, acting as a good video camcorder at the same time. (I use 1GB High Speed SD card with my camera)

If you want the best digital camera review site with indepth analysis on most digital cameras, go to http://www.dpreview.com
I have visited many other digital camera review sites, but this site is the best in my opinion.

Light

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 2:05 pm

Light wrote:I have used the Canon S2 IS with 12X optical zoom for the past few months.

The photo quality is simply outstanding on this camera.
It's a fantastic camera with a neat VGA motion picture recording capability at 30 frames/sec, and therefore, acting as a good video camcorder at the same time. (I use 1GB High Speed SD card with my camera)

If you want the best digital camera review site with indepth analysis on most digital cameras, go to http://www.dpreview.com
I have visited many other digital camera review sites, but this site is the best in my opinion.

Light
Agreed. And DPReview gives the H1 a slight edge over the S2 IS. ;)
- Terry Pratchett

Light

Post by Light » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 1:23 am

Bremen, H1 and S2 are both very good cameras.
That slight edge in performance is quite negligible, and I prefer using SD cards, rather than Sony's memory stick card. I also like the longer battery life of Canon cameras. I even prefer picture quality of Canon cameras in general to Sony's, but that's personal preference. Ah, the swiveling viewing screen is also better than Sony's fixed screen.

Beyond these points, it's all personal preferences and you will be happy with either one really.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:07 am

Light wrote:Bremen, H1 and S2 are both very good cameras.
That slight edge in performance is quite negligible, and I prefer using SD cards, rather than Sony's memory stick card. I also like the longer battery life of Canon cameras. I even prefer picture quality of Canon cameras in general to Sony's, but that's personal preference. Ah, the swiveling viewing screen is also better than Sony's fixed screen.

Beyond these points, it's all personal preferences and you will be happy with either one really.
I know. I wasn't disputing that. But since I use a PSP and a K750i, the memorystick is a handy format. :)
- Terry Pratchett

blue twinkle

Post by blue twinkle » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:05 am

what is a memory stick? and what are the plus points for using that?
thanks for all your suggestions. i will have a look at them at the shops. :)

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:39 am

blue twinkle wrote:what is a memory stick? and what are the plus points for using that?
thanks for all your suggestions. i will have a look at them at the shops. :)
There are many formats of memory (storage) out there. Sony products normally use the sony memorystick. Canon usually uses the Compactflash cards. Panasonic normally uses SD cards, etc etc etc...
- Terry Pratchett

ish8
Regular
Regular

Post by ish8 » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 1:15 pm

hello blue twinkle,

you need to know wat is your budget and wat is the size you are looking for?? then you will be able to decide wat digital camera to buy.

i also have the same q befor i bought mine.

there is also a semi slr compact digital camera like wat i am haveing now canon s60. which i had been using for a while.

the size is just nice for me as i had a bigger had. had tried some small point to shoot camera , it just feel small on my hand and very hard to take a picture.

the panasonic that you are mentioning is small but they have a shake protection . so it is the advantages there.

there is a s80 8 mP canon which i find it quite good. which retail about 969 slightly over your buget

or you can try the a610 or a620 which slightly cheaper

just my opinion.

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 9:43 pm

i like the Casio range of digital cameras.

anyway, good luck!! :)

jokerknight

Post by jokerknight » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 3:33 pm

blue twinkle wrote:thanks for all your tips. i do need one with accurate colour though. when you say sony and canon, would you know the model as well...yes, i have a budget of around 700. i would need to spend this much to get the features taht i have mentioned.
BlueTwinkle,

For that budget i think there is a wide range Sony, Fuji, Cannon, Nikon. I personally like the Fuji F10 because of great light sensivity, natural colour and reasonable price.

Sony is amazing because of its lens, Nikon & Cannon good performer but pricy. Go down to a shop near by and try out the Fuji F10 or Z2, you will be amaze with the picture quality. Me and my brothers use to own afew cameras cannon, sony and nikon (my brother use to own a camera shop) however ever since i bought a new F10 i become so impress with what a tiny camera can do for me. Very low noise even at ISO1600. So it is great for indoor or night scene (low light) shot. The fuji lens though not as well known as Carl Zeiss but the quality is comparably good.

Good Luck

blue twinkle

Post by blue twinkle » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 9:04 pm

thanks for all your helpful tips. i will look into those mentioned. i have to take a painting down to the camera shops with me as i notice that even though the colour may be quite accurate when taking a photo of someone, when it comes to a piece of artwork, the colours tend to be different.
cheers.