Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:42 pm

Brian Chin wrote:Failed!!! :cry:
Died on the first round some more... My overall speaking was ok I think. But I didn't get into the topic of "What makes you tick". I was more like doing self intro. And what does "tick" mean huh? Motivate?
Oh well, next intake bah. Any idea when will the next guys intake be? The one before this was September/October. So estimate... April/May?
Brian,
'Tick' means those things you like doing in life; e.g. hobbies, interests, pastimes, courses, what you like to talk about with friends, in short those things that make or keep you happy. This is how they measure how varied your interests are and how you would adapt to a variety of different situations or problems which no doubt would occur in the life of a flight attendant. As Vaucluse says and I agree it isn't an easy job. Remember having hobbies help you overcome problems so remember and do some research before trying again. You may PM me if you wish.

Plavt.

Trish
Regular
Regular

Re: Congrats¬!!!

Post by Trish » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:58 pm

jerlyn wrote:
Trish wrote:
jerlyn wrote:To wawa, Trish(got ya friendster account from Careen), jiajia and lotsa more darlings who had successfully cleared day one of interview..
Julie, we will try together again!!
I was asked the main characteristic of a service provider, and I guessed I didnt speak up more than I should when i was the number 7 of the grp, or lady luck wasnt at my side..or maybe i wasnt the cut for their standards. SO i shall further improve myself now, while waiting for their recruitment again! heehee..
darlings, very happy for all of you...jiayou!
Julie, promise and be my motivation, we'll shall try again till we succeed!
smiles!

word of advice: sometimes being too prepared isnt a good idea, they wan a natural you. There's a girl whom didnt dressed formally, in fact she looked very retro artistic, but she expressed herself well and got in. Another lady who dressed really well, with blazer and skirt, intro herself in soft and shy manner..she got in too..SO, pray and get a lucky charm, there is no right or wrong answers...
Nevertheless, there are really fabulous ladies i think will make through all the rounds, dress well, appeared presentable and spoke with a calm and natural manner..**envious** **I shall work hard to be like them!**
cheers!
Jerlyn Ang
Hi Jerlyn,

I tink u made a mistake. For my round, 4 out of 10 were selected to the 2nd round. Even though I made it to the 2nd round which is the 1-2-1 interview, I did not pull through. I tink SIA just slammed the door on me. Haiz. The whole interview was on my teeth. The interviewer was a nice and friendly lady who started off by asking me whether had i visited a dentist and wat did the dentist say? I told her the dentist had told me to pluck off 4 of my teeth in order for me to put braces. She asked me how long the process take? So I told her the process took a few weeks to get it done. She said she can't let me through as the third round is nxt week. She said that even if she let me through this round, I will definitely get kick out in the the third round cos they will be v strict on appearance, skin conditions and teeth fr dat round onwards. So I was like 'begging' her to gimme a chance to get into the third round cos I nv try and I will nv know. She told me no point as she is a regular at this n she knew it that I definitely couldn't get it far cos of my teeth. She also said that cos my problem is pretty straight-forward dat's y she tell me head-on. She asked me to do something abt my teeth and try again cos there are going to be alot of recruitment drives coming up these few mths.

So what??? Invisible braces are so expensive, how am I able to do it when I don have $$$??? I asked other interviewees and they feel that my teeth are not that obvious. Maybe they are looking for a perfect smile. Actually b4 i try for SIA, I sort of know that my crooked teeth will be a big prob n I REALLY HATE MY TEETH NOW!!! I wanted to put on a normal braces a few mths bk but i also noe if i put on, i have to wait for a few years b4 i can try for any airlines again. I feel like plucking all my teeth out nw. :x I was so sad n demoralised after the whole thing. Wonder I shld go for another round again n see whether the same prob still occur or to put on an invisible braces and try again (i might nd to borrow $$$ as the cost are abit ex) or just put on a normal metal braces n wait for 2 or 3 years b4 applying again??? Shit man. Stupid teeth.

Nevertheless, I would like to congrat to Jianling, Tricia, Wawa n those who make it yesterday. Good luck for ur nxt round. I will be waiting for all ur good news. Really v glad to know all of u, Julie, Careen, Violet, Josephine,Amber. . .Esp Julie...Tks for ur encouragement all these while. U must try again nxt time ok???I have faith in you. It was nice chatting with u, careen n violet the whole afternoon all things under the sun.

After my first-attempt yesterday, I realise that U just have to be yourself n don't be nervous n have confidence.
Trish, sorry,
i tot u make it coz u gave me a feel that u will make it! its just a matter of time, so dun give up..I have faith in u, from the way u carried yourself in the forum, your matter of speech, its really upsetting that luck wasnt at ur side. BUT we shall try again!
i agree with u, have to be urself and have confidence! ADDTIONAL luck and pray hard...
we will go again!
Cheers
Jerlyn Ang
Hi Jerl,

Tks for ur faith in me. For me, i don tink i lack of luck cos i have a pretty obvious prob which i really nd to tackle to. heehee. On a serious note I going to put on braces soon not mainly for SQ but also for my own sake. So for the next 2 years, I might nt be able to apply. God bless you and all those who are trying hard to get into SIA. Always heard u fr Julie-our sweetie-pie. wanna exchange msn nick???pm me???heehee

Trish
Regular
Regular

Post by Trish » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 8:02 pm

Plavt wrote:
Died on the first round some more... My overall speaking was ok I think. But I didn't get into the topic of "What makes you tick". I was more like doing self intro. And what does "tick" mean huh? Motivate?
Oh well, next intake bah. Any idea when will the next guys intake be? The one before this was September/October. So estimate... April/May?
Brian,
'Tick' means those things you like doing in life; e.g. hobbies, interests, pastimes, courses, what you like to talk about with friends, in short those things that make or keep you happy. This is how they measure how varied your interests are and how you would adapt to a variety of different situations or problems which no doubt would occur in the life of a flight attendant. As Vaucluse says and I agree it isn't an easy job. Remember having hobbies help you overcome problems so remember and do some research before trying again. You may PM me if you wish.

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

Tks for enlightening all of us here. U are great!

Kel83

Post by Kel83 » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 8:11 pm

:( died on the first round.... felt too nervous which affected my speech... :???: wondering what was i talking abt too.... knew i wont make it after my turn...

hopefully the next recruitment i can do better and overcome the nervousness....

:(

Brian Chin

Post by Brian Chin » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 8:19 pm

Plavt wrote:
Brian,

Plavt.
Oh... You learn something new everyday... I learnt what "tick" means today :???: Haha...
I sort of figured out what that meant, so I intended to say stuff about my hobbies. But when it was my turn, I forgot what I had wanted to say! So the only thing I can just shoot out of my mouth without stuttering is "about me" :o
And needless to say, I was very disappointed at myself and I knew that I couldn't get into the next round. But HEY! Robert the Bruce took 8 tries to win the war! I'm not giving up yet!
And thanks Plavt :wink:
<<Time does not ease the pain... Time lets you get used to pain...>>

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 8:50 pm

jerlyn wrote:Hi 'M'thks for the info, how did u flared?When do u think its their next info?
cheers,
Jerlyn Ang
Eh? I think you meant when is their next intake right? I reckon it's probably within the next 2 months or so? I doubt they have the classes to squeeze in too many FAs at one time?

M :cool:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 8:51 pm

Brian,

I admire your spirit and I see what happened now, basically you lost yourself and you can be sure aren't the only one. Perhaps a simple solution would be to try and formulate 'links'in your speech.
For example; after beginning with 'Good morning/Afternoon my name is Brian, remind yourself by saying something like my hobbies and interests are...... and then say why they interests you and keep 'linking' like you would when writing an essay. You may have thought of this already but it would do no harm sitting and writing a speech even in the event you don't use it but it gives a structure. Hope this helps bit difficult to write what I mean but once again keep trying.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guy

SQ

Post by guy » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 4:15 pm

can anyone enlighten me if there is an age limit for application of flight stewards/stewardress??? thanx for the kind attention and help. :wink: :D

Menaquinone

Re: Swimming Test

Post by Menaquinone » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 6:47 pm

M wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:thanks pal, as much as i want to learn swimming, time is just not on my side only untill in may. What do you think? will SQ allow such hydrophobic people go past the interview rounds and then take up swimming lessons?

Quite a few on-going work, like shedding some weight and melanin to grow fairer. Next thing on the list, learn 2 swim.

regards,
MK
No worries. If ya can float and kick to da the other side of the pool on Day 2, it's good enough. But before that, ya gotta jump off the 3m plane into the pool. :twisted:

OK Thanks M. Your replies are re-assuring enough.

kind regards,
MK4

Menaquinone

Post by Menaquinone » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 6:49 pm

Plavt wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:Does SQ demand that all FA-interviewees must have the ability to swim? I can only float.

Being able to swin is mandatory for all Flight Attendants on all major airlines, if you have a life-saving qualification so much the better.

Plavt.
But if swimming skills were so crucial, why weren't they stated clearly in advertisements or is this some thing unspoken?

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 8:03 pm

Menaquinone wrote:But if swimming skills were so crucial, why weren't they stated clearly in advertisements or is this some thing unspoken?
Put yourself in a passenger's shoes and you will understand where we are coming from?

Just imagine that you're a passenger on that faithful flight which has just crash landed in the open sea and whom do you look for assistance? Passengers around you or those cabin crews whom are supposedly trained?

I cannot deny that the selection has its loop holes but definitely you want to swim when you're out in the open and not just learning to put on that life vest of yours? :shock:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 8:57 pm

Menaquinone wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:Does SQ demand that all FA-interviewees must have the ability to swim? I can only float.

Being able to swin is mandatory for all Flight Attendants on all major airlines, if you have a life-saving qualification so much the better.

Plavt.
But if swimming skills were so crucial, why weren't they stated clearly in advertisements or is this some thing unspoken?
I must confess, I haven't looked a great deal at the advertisements but that should be stated or they may have assumed that people know this. This all comes back to what I have said so many times on this board do some research. There is nothing worse than somebody turning up for an interview with a company as prestigious as Singapore Airlines and have not an inkling of a clue what the job entails. Besides it says one thing to the interviewer ' I am not interested'. Like it or not that’s what it implies.

What many on this board fail to realize is your primary concern as a flight attendant apart from service is passenger safety. Hope you 'wannabes' will think about that.

Hope I can put up some posts later that will help those who are genuinely interested there are some on this board who don't stand a chance.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:22 pm

Put yourself in a passenger's shoes and you will understand where we are coming from?
A very good point M and put rather well. You no doubt will have noticed that there are a few here are want not to do so. Such an attitude only ensures their downfall.

Plavt.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:25 pm

Plavt wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:
Plavt wrote:

Plavt.
I must confess, I haven't looked a great deal at the advertisements but that should be stated or they may have assumed that people know this. This all comes back to what I have said so many times on this board do some research. There is nothing worse than somebody turning up for an interview with a company as prestigious as Singapore Airlines and have not an inkling of a clue what the job entails. Besides it says one thing to the interviewer ' I am not interested'. Like it or not that’s what it implies.

What many on this board fail to realize is your primary concern as a flight attendant apart from service is passenger safety. Hope you 'wannabes' will think about that.

Hope I can put up some posts later that will help those who are genuinely interested there are some on this board who don't stand a chance.

Plavt.
I hear you brother. I'm not trying to be a show off coz I've been researching about this job almost every single day. It just pains me when I learnt of people who goes to the interview without full knowledge of the job and make it all the way, but when the contract is in front of her, she thinks twice and then reject it. OR she goes into training but dropped out halfway coz she can't take the stress. I mean why those passionate people who are dying to get this job not getting it but the ones gifted are forsaking it? I don't mean all but there are many who have been this way.

Wannabes should know basic swimming, have compassion, know that the job is not about glamour, know that training would be stressful, know that work will clash with holidays, and who knows what. And of course, don't ask this again, but English IS necessary. It's an international language for goodness sake. Don't expect your cabin crew to be speaking in broken English when serving you right?

Forgive me, some questions like swimming proficiency is unnecessary. Sometimes common sense will provide you with the simplest answer. I hope I do not offend anyone in this post, but forgive me if I do.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:56 pm

Glad to know you are doing you 'homework' Singaporegrrl and it is enlightenting that you realize it is a stressful job. Of the four times I have been to Singapore, I have noticed there is always one of the crew in the doctor's waiting area - tells you something does it not?

Those people you mentioned that succeed in being accepted and then change their minds; this is because not only are they smart enough to be accepted they are also smart enough to consider the full implications of what the job entails. This is just a fact of life; sometimes the employer 'shoots' themselves in the foot with its own selection criteria but it probably isn't that common. Besides they have to maintain a certain standard and with the reputation the airline has they cannot afford to change. Of course there will be those who really want the job but for one reason or another won't be successful, nothing anyone can do about that.
For yourself and others who are still young enough, keep trying and keep investigating, don't simply look for the next recruitment campaign (keep a note of the dates) be prepared. Here's and old saying; ' those who fail to plan, plan to fail!'

Plavt.