Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
charle

Post by charle » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 5:35 pm

M wrote:
charle wrote:Hi guys, i got thru 2 rounds of the interview today, waiting for confirmation of date for the psychometric test and swim test. Many guys managed to went through the second round, saw it when i was in the waiting room for about 2 hours. Only 1 din manage to get it. I believe they are quite needy for stewards. : )
Hi charle, watcha mean by "waiting for confirmation of date"? You were not given a specified date like the rest on Wednesday 2pm?

M :cool:
The tests held on this wed is full already, they will arrange another day for us. Waiting for Email now..

remus

dissappointed

Post by remus » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 5:47 pm

haiiiii.......very dissappointed, was kick out on the 1st round, i cant even introduce myself, i think i am too nervous, i am the worst one in my group....i cant believe i doing so badly, somemore i cant speak proper english, it was heavy rain when i walked out from the building, i don realise that i was walking in the rain.

Menaquinone

Re: Swimming Test

Post by Menaquinone » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 5:57 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
M wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:Does SQ demand that all FA-interviewees must have the ability to swim? I can only float.
I think in order to be fair to passengers, I suggest you take up swimming courses? Not just about the wages and serving eh? Anyone can float isn't it? :???:

Whew, I thought I was the only one who finds the main points here off topic - which is the job
thanks pal, as much as i want to learn swimming, time is just not on my side only untill in may. What do you think? will SQ allow such hydrophobic people go past the interview rounds and then take up swimming lessons?

Quite a few on-going work, like shedding some weight and melanin to grow fairer. Next thing on the list, learn 2 swim.

regards,
MK

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 6:02 pm

charle wrote:The tests held on this wed is full already, they will arrange another day for us. Waiting for Email now..
That is a lot eh? 2 batches for Day 2, interesting. :twisted:

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 6:10 pm

Menaquinone wrote:thanks pal, as much as i want to learn swimming, time is just not on my side only untill in may. What do you think? will SQ allow such hydrophobic people go past the interview rounds and then take up swimming lessons?

Quite a few on-going work, like shedding some weight and melanin to grow fairer. Next thing on the list, learn 2 swim.

regards,
MK
No worries. If ya can float and kick to da the other side of the pool on Day 2, it's good enough. But before that, ya gotta jump off the 3m plane into the pool. :twisted:

sq_boy
Regular
Regular

:(

Post by sq_boy » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 6:14 pm

Really dunno what is their criteria for stewards... :???:

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Re: Congrats¬!!!

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 6:51 pm

Dear Jeryln,

Its really nice meeting up with you yesterday. Please don't be disheartened. I think you are very pretty and you have the SQ look. Perhaps you lack of a little luck. However, please try again when there is recruitment again.

For me, i managed to get into the 1st and 2nd round. I am the 9am slot. So we were the 1st few rounds who went for the interview. 10 of us went into the room where 2 female interviewers asked us to do a self intro and asked us what attribute to great cust service provider (not sure if i phrase that correctly). I am the last in the group and by the time it was my turn to speak, i have already run out of ideas. I just "smoked" through it. We were then ushered to the other room and waiting for names to be called. There were 5 names called in my group. I heard that the grp after us had 4 names called.

We were then asked to go into another room to wait for 2nd round interview (1 to 1). Those who came back with a slip were those who will get into the 3rd round. There were some gals who were in my group and i strongly believe that they spoke and present very well ,did not manage to get into the 3rd round. She told me that her interviewer was very very strict and said that she did not meet the criteria and asked her to leave despite that she tried to plead for a second chance.

For me, i was quite lucky to have an interviewer who was very nice. She asked me about my previous job experience, my family background and after a short chat, she asked me to read from a passage. I pronounced some words incorrectly and she asked me if i was speaking mandrian at home. She asked me to brush up my english to avoid speaking in a mandrian accent, or else, i may not be able to get through the management round. I thank her for her advice.

So gals and guys out there, please try to refrain from speaking English in Mandrian accent even though i am not speaking Singlish. What they want is proper standard english.

Hope the information i share above is useful. Good luck everyone! :)[/quote]

Thanks Voxvox,
THanks, gal!
stay strong and confident.. I am sure you will breeze through all the rounds...I will cheer for you and all!
really nice that i had made frens like u and all through this, its really nothing i have lost in pursuing this career...gals..let's try again, guys, dont take it too hard.all of us been through failure to be stronger for the next time..
*prays*
smile pple, its a brand new year, keep the spirits high, u noe at least we tried!
Jerlyn

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

you motivate me!

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:20 pm

I'M*(!_!)*Julie wrote:
wawa wrote:Hey all,

need to get some opinions here...
how do the beauticians define scar? Is it sumetin permanent like birthmark or as long as there are visible marks such as being scalded, mosquito bites or even frm a fall. Wat about face condition? Cause I'm having these negative thoughts already as I have mosquito bites marks on my hand...shld I tell them the truth instead of concealing them which I felt very dishonest. Coz I heard they've very particular on this stage.
Dear Wawa,

Mosquito scars... are those obvious?? I understand that make up can be used but once in a blue moon, they might call their interviewees to come for interview without make up. That's really once in a blue moon. However, for the Water confidence test, after you jumped into the pool, your make up will be washed away already. So still, it will be revealed to the beauticians when they check you after the test. Hope that by your interview, the marks will disappeared. Try aloe vera kk! Very good to help reduce scarring. Or Vit E cream!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
wawa, i agree with Julie, use aloe vera or Vit E and C, it helps!
and really happy to see you brave through the rounds and i will be expecting good news frm u!
dun be too wary of your flaws and focus on your selling pt, they will see n feel how u feel, so be confident, i am sure u can make it, fret not, we are all behind u and all!
Cheers,
Jerlyn Ang

voxvox

Post by voxvox » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:24 pm

I suddenly remember something and decided to share you u all:

As i was having this one to one interview with the interviewer in the 2nd round, the interviewer asked me if i have applied before. I said i have applied before but this was the 1st time i got the email invitation. And i joked that it was probably due that the pictures i sent in earlier on was not attractive enough.

However, her reply surprised me. She said that could not be the case. As they shortlist people according to the criteria as stated in the newspaper/ website and not ACCORDING TO THE PICTURE (LOOKS) and if you fitted the criteria, there was no reason why you were not selected.

Her reply really shocked me. Could anyone enlighten if what she said is reall true? :o

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:25 pm

Trish wrote:
jerlyn wrote:To wawa, Trish(got ya friendster account from Careen), jiajia and lotsa more darlings who had successfully cleared day one of interview..
Julie, we will try together again!!
I was asked the main characteristic of a service provider, and I guessed I didnt speak up more than I should when i was the number 7 of the grp, or lady luck wasnt at my side..or maybe i wasnt the cut for their standards. SO i shall further improve myself now, while waiting for their recruitment again! heehee..
darlings, very happy for all of you...jiayou!
Julie, promise and be my motivation, we'll shall try again till we succeed!
smiles!

word of advice: sometimes being too prepared isnt a good idea, they wan a natural you. There's a girl whom didnt dressed formally, in fact she looked very retro artistic, but she expressed herself well and got in. Another lady who dressed really well, with blazer and skirt, intro herself in soft and shy manner..she got in too..SO, pray and get a lucky charm, there is no right or wrong answers...
Nevertheless, there are really fabulous ladies i think will make through all the rounds, dress well, appeared presentable and spoke with a calm and natural manner..**envious** **I shall work hard to be like them!**
cheers!
Jerlyn Ang
Hi Jerlyn,

I tink u made a mistake. For my round, 4 out of 10 were selected to the 2nd round. Even though I made it to the 2nd round which is the 1-2-1 interview, I did not pull through. I tink SIA just slammed the door on me. Haiz. The whole interview was on my teeth. The interviewer was a nice and friendly lady who started off by asking me whether had i visited a dentist and wat did the dentist say? I told her the dentist had told me to pluck off 4 of my teeth in order for me to put braces. She asked me how long the process take? So I told her the process took a few weeks to get it done. She said she can't let me through as the third round is nxt week. She said that even if she let me through this round, I will definitely get kick out in the the third round cos they will be v strict on appearance, skin conditions and teeth fr dat round onwards. So I was like 'begging' her to gimme a chance to get into the third round cos I nv try and I will nv know. She told me no point as she is a regular at this n she knew it that I definitely couldn't get it far cos of my teeth. She also said that cos my problem is pretty straight-forward dat's y she tell me head-on. She asked me to do something abt my teeth and try again cos there are going to be alot of recruitment drives coming up these few mths.

So what??? Invisible braces are so expensive, how am I able to do it when I don have $$$??? I asked other interviewees and they feel that my teeth are not that obvious. Maybe they are looking for a perfect smile. Actually b4 i try for SIA, I sort of know that my crooked teeth will be a big prob n I REALLY HATE MY TEETH NOW!!! I wanted to put on a normal braces a few mths bk but i also noe if i put on, i have to wait for a few years b4 i can try for any airlines again. I feel like plucking all my teeth out nw. :x I was so sad n demoralised after the whole thing. Wonder I shld go for another round again n see whether the same prob still occur or to put on an invisible braces and try again (i might nd to borrow $$$ as the cost are abit ex) or just put on a normal metal braces n wait for 2 or 3 years b4 applying again??? Shit man. Stupid teeth.

Nevertheless, I would like to congrat to Jianling, Tricia, Wawa n those who make it yesterday. Good luck for ur nxt round. I will be waiting for all ur good news. Really v glad to know all of u, Julie, Careen, Violet, Josephine,Amber. . .Esp Julie...Tks for ur encouragement all these while. U must try again nxt time ok???I have faith in you. It was nice chatting with u, careen n violet the whole afternoon all things under the sun.

After my first-attempt yesterday, I realise that U just have to be yourself n don't be nervous n have confidence.
Trish, sorry,
i tot u make it coz u gave me a feel that u will make it! its just a matter of time, so dun give up..I have faith in u, from the way u carried yourself in the forum, your matter of speech, its really upsetting that luck wasnt at ur side. BUT we shall try again!
i agree with u, have to be urself and have confidence! ADDTIONAL luck and pray hard...
we will go again!
Cheers
Jerlyn Ang

guy

Post by guy » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:28 pm

can anyone enlighten me wat's the cut-off age for this round of interviews?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:32 pm

Menaquinone wrote:Does SQ demand that all FA-interviewees must have the ability to swim? I can only float.

Being able to swin is mandatory for all Flight Attendants on all major airlines, if you have a life-saving qualification so much the better.

Plavt.

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:32 pm

Brian Chin wrote:Failed!!! :cry:
Died on the first round some more... My overall speaking was ok I think. But I didn't get into the topic of "What makes you tick". I was more like doing self intro. And what does "tick" mean huh? Motivate?
Oh well, next intake bah. Any idea when will the next guys intake be? The one before this was September/October. So estimate... April/May?

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:35 pm

Brian Chin wrote:Failed!!! :cry:
Died on the first round some more... My overall speaking was ok I think. But I didn't get into the topic of "What makes you tick". I was more like doing self intro. And what does "tick" mean huh? Motivate?
Oh well, next intake bah. Any idea when will the next guys intake be? The one before this was September/October. So estimate... April/May?

Dear Brian,

Yup i guessed so,
But hopefully earlier than what we expected, dun despair...and dun cry!
take it as an exoerience and further improve on urself and we shall try again!
Cheers,
Jerlyn Ang

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Post by jerlyn » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 7:37 pm

M wrote:
mahalo21 wrote:jus back from e interview..din pull thru..sigh..well im used to it, since this is my 4th time. Never did i get thru to nx rd before. Only 2/10 made it to next rd..guess they r strict this time since my timing was e first slot. The interviewers were 2 guys...i expected 2 ladies..i wld say half of e grp spoke rather well, but they oni chose 2.

Sigh..
My mate's group had 6 successful candidates. They were interviewed by 2 young ladies and by 1030am, there are 13 candidates for Wednesday.

In total, there are 290 guys for today's interview and about 90 ladies for the afternoon slots.

Hi 'M'thks for the info, how did u flared?When do u think its their next info?
cheers,
Jerlyn Ang