Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Brian Chin

Post by Brian Chin » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:57 pm

remus: thanks! you too :) btw, wanna meet up first? cuz the waiting time should be a bit long from what i experienced.

Kel83: (copied from the first few pages of this thread. i'm still reading only page 35, so may miss out on the guys part)
1. Introduction in a group interview, you need to introduce yourself
2. One on One interview, they want to know more about your life and your family
3. Psychotest and English Test
4. Panel Interview, there are 3 people ask you several question, they want to know your seriousness, your life, your family, your education and everything
5. Kebaya Test. They see wether you have any scar and stuff that shown after you put the kebaya on. well for this stage, i got some friend who are too chubby and failed on this stage. Some of them on the border because they have wide shoulder and big hips.
6. After the kebaya test, u still have another test. Ermm.. i dunno how to describe it, but you will put in a group and just interact with each other in a tea party. U need to talk more and show that you can work in a group

I die-ed on the 1-2-1 interview...sad... hiaz...no confidence... face is not smooth... :cry:
<<Time does not ease the pain... Time lets you get used to pain...>>

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:20 am

Something I ripped off someone else's blog while bloghopping a while ago:

Round 1
I was scheduled to arrive at SIA Training Centre on 15th October 2005 by 0940hrs. I was so nervous and excited, dressed in a top, blazer, smart pants and heels. When I entered the waiting area for the interviewees, there were so many girls, most of which were dressed in formal attire but there were a few who were casually attired in jeans and top.

After registration, I sat down reading my book and made small talk to some of the girls. Finally, it was my turn to enter the interview room. I was a mass interview where there were 2 interviewers and 10 interviewiees. We were each told to introduce ourselves and to name an important service attribute. I happened to be the last speaker so I had to make sure I did not repeat what the other girls had said. We were then ushered to a theatrette and after a few minutes, a lady entered saying out a list of names. "For those names not mentioned, thank you for coming. You may go home now." That was the first elimination round.

Round 2
While waiting in another room full of girls who made it to the 2nd round, there was an introductory video on SIA playing on the TV set. Continued making small talk and being the noisy girl that I am while I observed the rest of the girls looking so tensed and rigid. Apparently, the 2nd round consists of a one-to-one interview. We saw those who made it coming back to the room we were in in, with a big smile and a slip of paper in their hands. That slip of paper was an indication that they made it to the next round and a letter of invitation to come for the 3rd round, followed. I received that slip of paper too.

Round 3
On 19th October 2005 at 0845hrs, me being dressed slightly less formal, 50 of us had to go for uniform fitting. There were no sizes for the kebayas as they are made-to-measure once one is a certified Singapore Girl. We had to estimate and choose a kebaya for fitting and enter an interview room one by one. The SIA slippers completed the 'look'. Before we began, there was a lady who told us that after the process, we had to wait in the waiting room and she will read out the results for those who made it. For those who did not, they are to leave.

There were 3 interviewers, one of whom was a beautician to check our skin complexion. We were required to walk up and down and pretend to serve a guest by a tray. Thereafter, the beautician will scrutinize our face for any discrepancies. After everyone has gone for the fitting, the lady earlier held a list of names and read out those who made it , again emphasizing that those whose names not mentioned are to leave the building. My name was mentioned.

Round 4
We were required to do a psychometrics test but it was not an elimination round. It was for us and them to learn more on our personality.

Round 5
Instructions were given on how to go about the water confidence test. After changing to our respective swimming costumes, we had to walk up to the 2 interviewers who inspect our bodies for any tattoos and visible scars. I was so comfortable walking barefooted that I didn't realise I was walking my normal uncultured way until halfway, I realised and attempted to be a little more graceful. Damage done. And I have a scar on my leg.

Then we had to go onboard a mock-up airplane, complete with seats and all. Wearing a life-jacket, we had to jump off the 'plane' and swam backstroke the length of the pool. This was my favourite part as I love swimming and heights. But it wasn't really that high. There were a few girls who were so scared of jumping. We had a lifevest!!!

We were once again in the theatrette, all realising that we were almost there as after this round, we are only left with the management interview - the last hurdle. 5 names out of the 39 left were not mentioned. Mine was one of the 5. As we left the room, the other 4 girls were so depressed and disappointed while I was overjoyed. They were puzzled.

The day before the 3rd interview, I sat down and started thinking real hard and listed out my options and reasons why I wanted to be a Singapore Girl. I realised that there were not many. I had wanted to fulfill my desire to fly and was lured by the lucrative salary. I thought of improving my self-discipline and to learn being graceful through the job. My greatest concern was that I might not be able to practice my beloved theatre. Then, I thought about death. What if I die while far away from my family and friends? If I die, I'd rather be near them.

Then I listed the advantages if I were to stay on the ground. I could gain experience and plan my career path. Career advancement would be attained earlier. In SIA, I wasn't planning to stay there for so long or to aim for the position of leading stewardess or chief stewardess. If I were in SIA, it would be similar to being enlisted for NS. I would still be able to be active in theatre if I hold a ground job and I will be within the company of my beloved friends and family.

I decided to go through the interview and even if I were to get through until the end, I would still want to consider before confirming that I'd like to be a Singapore Girl. I was happy that I did not get through the last round as I no longer had to choose.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

rapanzel

Re: news!!

Post by rapanzel » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:45 am

hey girls..my slot is 1pm...cya there!... we shall talk about our experience after the first interview k!

[quote="pinkpluspinky"]queenie-me and singaporegrrrl....

i have got my invite. you girls check your emails yet?

rach, cafe:

my interview is also on sunday 8jan 1320hrs. anyone with similar timing?

kinda puzzled.. i always thot sunday is for guys... mayb not much guys applying this time round? but still am too gald for this chance!

my day is gonna be great!!!

pinkpluspinky :lol:[/quote]

Brian Chin

Post by Brian Chin » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:49 am

groovemeister: my skin is not good loh... slight scarring aka orange skin... sad thing is, it's one of the invigilators that said "maybe it's because of your facial skin" when the 1-2- finished... damn sad... now i think of it, even more sad... :cry:

Something more i copied from a few pages back:

Day 1 - Round 1: 10 interviewees in a room. Different questions posed so dont harp on any generic ones? Upon successful clearence, you will remain for round 2.
Day 1 - Round 2: 1-1 interview with an interviewer. Upon successful clearence, you will be rewarded with day 2 programmes.

Day 2 - Round 1: Psychometric test. Nothing much, just enjoy the ride.
Day 2 - Round 2: Swimming test @ The Wet. Lifejackets will be provided and goggles are optional. Upon reaching the other side of the pool, you will be required to walk towards a management staff whom will conduct a body check.
Successful applicants' names will be made known end of the day.

Day 3 - Round 1: Management interview. Various questions asked, so be prepared for anything under the sun. Upon successful clearence, you will be retained for tea party.
Day 3 - Round 2: Tea party. Mingle for a tea session observed by interviewers. Do take note that casualities do occur. Upon successful clearence for final round, you will be informed to attend a medical checkup.

Basically these are the stages for the gentlemen and as for ladies, there are kebaya fitting and skin checks on day 2. Sequence wise, it might different.

There you go, so best of luck peeps. Preparation plays a small part while a good fortune will bring you far.

btw, is the forum starting to lag? I think a lot of people are browsing cuz of the interview. haha... like me :P
<<Time does not ease the pain... Time lets you get used to pain...>>

groovemeister

Post by groovemeister » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 1:11 am

Hey Brian, I have horrible facial skin too. In fact, VERY HORRIBLE..I just suffered from a bad breakout 2 months ago and this has left me with with bumps and moon-like craters. Well I'm a bit exaggerating here. But I think we should try our best to cover up a little and top it up with loads of personality and charisma somehow we can get our way through. Why do I say this? Cos I do know of a friend who is currently a Flight Steward with SIA with worse complexion than me. Plus he's short too! :wink:

Keep your hopes up high people!!!! :D

insight

Dear Menaquinone

Post by insight » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 1:17 am

Menaquinone wrote:Like you i had my application sent in after the stipulated dateline. It was on the 18th Dec...much earlier than yours. Reason? Mail got bounced back.

And yeah... no replies from the airline from my side as well. Probably the picture sucked.

Try harder.

best,
MK
Oh, didnt u prepared urself a nice photo? u know wat? i even took sometime to makeup and dress up to look a bit more 'professional'! ha ha! a bit overdo.. hee... seriously i tink the photo really play a big part. Anyway, hope they'll consider our applicaions, perhaps they'll conduct another interview nx wk? So be patient and don't give up k? :D

Cheers,
Insight

insight

Congra Zunbo!

Post by insight » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 1:34 am

ZUNBO wrote:
Menaquinone wrote:Like you i had my application sent in after the stipulated dateline. It was on the 18th Dec...much earlier than yours. Reason? Mail got bounced back.

And yeah... no replies from the airline from my side as well. Probably the picture sucked.

Try harder.

best,
MK
i submit on 19 Dec which is on mon due the mail exceed quota .but lucky manage to get in the interview on sun.maybe heng heng.. just give a try ba.i heard from my friend that jan there will be a mass intake.so dont give up..all the best..
Hi Zunbo,

I'm glad that u r being invited! Hee.... make gd use of this rare opportunity... Hope to hear gd news fr u again ya? All e Best!! :D

Regard,
Insight

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 2:25 am

M wrote:Goodluck ladies. Best of luck yeah?

Godspeed~

M :cool:
Thanks M,

Good luck and all the best who are going for the interview later and 2moro...

Cheers!
Paige :wink:

charlene_yy

Post by charlene_yy » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 2:35 am

good luck to all tomorrow :)
wish success and look forward to hear good news

ecaf

Post by ecaf » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 8:38 am

all the best to those going for the interview today! hope to hear good news from you peeps, and share some tips with the rest of us yea? :wink:

remus

Post by remus » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:10 am

Brian Chin wrote:remus: thanks! you too :) btw, wanna meet up first? cuz the waiting time should be a bit long from what i experienced.

Kel83: (copied from the first few pages of this thread. i'm still reading only page 35, so may miss out on the guys part)
1. Introduction in a group interview, you need to introduce yourself
2. One on One interview, they want to know more about your life and your family
3. Psychotest and English Test
4. Panel Interview, there are 3 people ask you several question, they want to know your seriousness, your life, your family, your education and everything
5. Kebaya Test. They see wether you have any scar and stuff that shown after you put the kebaya on. well for this stage, i got some friend who are too chubby and failed on this stage. Some of them on the border because they have wide shoulder and big hips.
6. After the kebaya test, u still have another test. Ermm.. i dunno how to describe it, but you will put in a group and just interact with each other in a tea party. U need to talk more and show that you can work in a group

I die-ed on the 1-2-1 interview...sad... hiaz...no confidence... face is not smooth... :cry:
hi, brian, i look forward to meet u up first, u can pm me with yr contact number. thanks.

tasy

cabin crew

Post by tasy » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:46 am

hi to all you Cabin crew wannabe......

i am currently in training now... training is very tiring, but you'll get to learn a lot of things.

everyone, generally is very nice in STC.

you will get to see the interviewers who interviewed you very often in STC.

SIA is recruiting, not because of their new A380 plane, because we are only trained for 2 fleets, which is the B777 and B747.. only seniors( LS,CS or IFS) would be trained for the new A380.

To all those attending the interview, remember to present a pleasant and sincere smile....

Good luck!

berdee5155

Post by berdee5155 » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:56 pm

To Careen, Trish, Julie and some others i duno your nicks that i saw at the interview this morning,

It's reli great seeing you gers!!

Although some of us may not get it thru, rem what i said? You are still young and have lotsa chances to try again!!
Failure only goes to those who gives up easily!

Ganbatte!~~~

Amber

charlene_yy

Post by charlene_yy » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 8:04 pm

good luck to those going for sunday's interview!

any tips for the kebaya fitting round? are elimination rate high? i got a bad skin infection my my left earlobe, wonder if it would affect my chances :oops:

I'M*(!_!)*Julie
Regular
Regular

Post by I'M*(!_!)*Julie » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 8:20 pm

berdee5155 wrote:To Careen, Trish, Julie and some others i duno your nicks that i saw at the interview this morning,

It's reli great seeing you gers!!

Although some of us may not get it thru, rem what i said? You are still young and have lotsa chances to try again!!
Failure only goes to those who gives up easily!

Ganbatte!~~~

Amber
Dear Amber!

Thanks alot for your encouragement!

Congrats to all those who pulled through including Amber, Wawa, Jianling and Trisha!!!! Really proud of you guys and it's reli nice meeting you guys today! We had alot of chat yah!

Yes, I was the one who did not managed to pull through. Abit disappointed but at the moment that I finished my speech, I know I will not get in. I think I prepared too much in my speech which is like 2mins long and when they told me that they only have 1min for us, I was shocked. So everyone going for interview tomorrow, just word of advise that you will not need to prepare and worst, memorize your speech. I made a mistake by memorizing my speech and in the end, I think the interviewer knows that I memorized and did not really see the real me. They want to see the real you, not wanting to know the memorized you. So I think no need to prepare the speech otherwise, you will be in a mess when the question was not as per you preceive. Try to speak slowly, I think I spoke too fast, like a train, and smile!

I believe that tomorrow more wannbies are trying! Good luck and believe in yourself! Be confident and portray that you can handle stress kk! I ruin my chance this time round but I'm definatley going to try again. Definately. =P Heez.. I'm not a person who will give up easily. And hope that with this experience, the next time will be people congratulating me. haha... Well.. aim for the sky.

For those having the Kabaya and water confidence test next Wednesday, Good luck as well and remember don't eat too much hor! I'll be praying for you guys!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Never Regret, As Life Is Too Short For Regrets!