Singapore Expats

How do you spell 'Chinese'?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:49 pm

Sure! And, I'm the Queen of Sheba.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 3:02 pm

sapphire wrote:Sure! And, I'm the Queen of Sheba.

You're not Black and you don't look quite that old . . .

'nuff said Image

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Post by vaishali » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 3:22 pm

I think it wouldn't have been so bad if they had asked in a more appropriate way! "I don't do chopsticks" is a bit condascending!

My husband is a Californian, but at least he tried to use chopsticks and knows he can't and politely asks for a spoon and fork. If there is none to be had, he will attempt to stab the food with his chopsticks ;) I've tried to teach him, but it just won't work!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no spoon. 8)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 3:29 pm

Sheesh....

Baron and Wham, if you guys think my 'no-californians' policy was a serious remark and if you guys still don't see the arrogance in your remarks about westerners learning bad habits from Singaporeans, well, I guess you still have a long way to go buddies... :?

Start with filing a report here at the Police: lost of sense of humour. :-|

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 3:32 pm

Thanks for the update Eric, but my sense of humour is well in place - I may be arrogant but at least I am always right :wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 3:49 pm

Actually Eric, i was thinking that we should start a foundation to help these wayward Californians. Maybe call it the NCF. We could even get some Hollywood stars and run some big televised fund raisers!

On a serious note, the first time i came out here i had to learn not to swear (as was normal in my business in ny) and it took me several months to get it down - and then after a year out here i went back to NY and it took me 6 months to learn to swear again so people would listen. It sounds crazy but true.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson