Singapore Expats

American foreign policy to blame in Iran?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 6:15 pm

I really am glad the guy is saying what he is saying about Israel because I beleive that deep down inside, a lot of Iranians WOULD BE happy to see a nuke dropped on Israel. However, when now faced with a leader that will give them what they secretly have been hoping for, they will be forced to confront their own ugly national policies - and in this process may reject the hard liners. I know its a long shot, but there is hope.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 3:20 am

On the contrary, I believe most Iranians want to hold down jobs and live out lives following their dreams. Even if there was hatred towards another community altogether, I do believe they recognize life doesn't always work out the way we want it.
They also didn't want planes to fall out of the skies due to lack of spare parts and kill relatives and friends...
There will be ultimate consequences to attack Israel in the restive Middle East. Not to mention the 160,000 "infidel" troops right next door :D

We need to accept diversity - and Mr Ahmadinejad needs to accept that Israel's there to stay. With this acceptance then he can move on! But he was democratically-elected, heck again...

I just keep finding it ironic that an oil-rich country is tapping nuke-power "peacefully" :o:D
Also, won't it be a peaceful world we live in if everyone behaved responsibly? In terms of deeds and words?
But then what would happen to the arms industries, specifically the top arm producers among the G7/8 countries?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 9:06 am

riversandlakes wrote:But then what would happen to the arms industries, specifically the top arm producers among the G7/8 countries?
Start making plowshares again instead of swords?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 9:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:But then what would happen to the arms industries, specifically the top arm producers among the G7/8 countries?
Start making plowshares again instead of swords?[/quote]

I wonder how many people on this forum would understand that, SMS.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49 am

:oops!:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:59 am

I feel old . . .

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:11 am

By right, you should feel old! :D

I am still blooming though... 8)

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:33 am

I think the difference in age between you and I can be counted in a few months, Mister Evergreen! 8)

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:39 am

You mean it will take you a few months to make that calculation, right? :P

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:52 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:You mean it will take you a few months to make that calculation, right? :P

Eric

As you know I am an economist after all . . . :lol:

'nuff said Image

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 3:04 pm

Fundamental islam is the problem with Iran.
Be Like Water

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 1:00 am

But the countless dependents on the swords-industries do think of it as plowshares. After all it is an honest way to make a living. Sux huh?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Start making plowshares again instead of swords?

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 1:02 am

Or yet another group of privileged few desperately doing all they can to cling to power and privilege, at the expense of the masses...

I'm sure the victims of the latest Iranian plane crash because of a lack of spare parts didn't want to leave in such a manner in the name of fanaticism...
Bafana wrote:Fundamental islam is the problem with Iran.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:33 am

Riversandlakes,

They (in this case the Iranians) can always have a revolution and throw out the privledged few in order to live in a safer and better society and worship their god the way the want...

OH WAIT - Didn't they do that already? And isn't the current regime the RESULT of that revolution? And didn't they JUST ELECT the most extreme leader that they have had SINCE the revolution?

Wake up and smell the coffee - you are talking about a country that embraces fanatical fundimental islam. These people DO NOT share your vision of a happy and peaceful world.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 3:16 am

Wham,

I guess the devil is in the details, but the essence I guess is about one action leading to another. Strangely we manage to stay on the same piece of land - Iran.

Way back, MI8-CIA covert operation evoked Operation Ajax to overthrow a DEMOCRATICALLY-elected government led by Dr Mossadeq in 1951, in order to install Shah Pahlavi as a dictator.
Conflict of interest? No, this is over the black gold - oil.

So your question goes unanswered - how did the Shah stay in power for 15 years from 1953-78 till the Iranian Revolution broke loose and Ayatollah Khomeini rose and established himself as the Supreme Leader? Remember, at the height of the anti-Shah movement, over 2m Iranians loyal to the Khomeini took to the streets.
Just how did a bunch of foreigners manage to get away with installing a dictator over Dr Mossadeq?

How did he manage to lose his grip on power EVEN with the support of the world's 2 superpowers? That's amazing.

The Iranian people - or everyone? - just want peace and stability and the freedom to be happy - as they define it. The Shah might call it a crack-down on dissidents, but Islam, Christianity and Judaism specifically prohibited many things taken as "shit happens" today, say, pre-marital sex and ONSs.
So what if Islam prohibits alcohol? The Shah strangely perhaps thought himself invincible for famously attacking a group of theologians for attempting to stop the opening of a liquor store.
This goes to show how out-of-touch he was with his OWN people.

These facts are all over the Wikipedia - which WILL tell you when its entries are biased, e.g. cultural or political reasons, unlike CNN during the Iraq War 2001 :P;)