Singapore Expats

does anyone know online tutor for english lesson

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:37 pm

Usually boiling ones :D
k1w1 wrote:
may4 wrote:what are the instant words use in australia and
what do the australian ppl speak frequently
i want to master it within 3weeks for general
instant words
Australians speak English. I have no idea what "instant words" are - I can only picture adding water... :???:

As for mastering a language in three weeks - not going to happen.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:13 pm

you could call riversandlakes to teach you too :P :P

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 9:26 pm

Hi May

I appreciate that you may be frustrated in wanting to master the rudiments of the English language but I'd say to you 'Be Careful' of all those 'instant' courses out there. To begin to sound in anyway sensible in the most rudimentary of conversations you need to study carefully, ok, not deeply, but if not, you may end up with conversational skills which make people fall about laughing. (At your unknown blunders)

You honestly need the services of an ESL (English as a second language) teacher. They can come to you, or you go to them, there are lots around. They are quite reasonably priced and to my mind nothing beats the contact with other students to put you in a good position, languagewise.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:33 pm

Okay, on a serious note, besides the one-subject of English back in Malaysian public schools, I attributed my English to reading up to 9 books a week back in Sec4/5 in preparation for English 1119 (is it the equivalent of O'Level English)?

There was no expense required. One just needs to depend on oneself - and the discipline.

$0.02
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:45 pm

Woman wrote:Reading may help you to improve your English, like construction of sentences, etc and listening to audio books can help in diction and pronunciation .

Perhaps Vaucluse should volunteer his services since he has been so critical ? We would all love to learn from him the Queen's English!

:P

Huh? My name mentioned in vain? Woman (sounds rude to address you as such), I have not uttered a word in this thread - besides I am neither English nor American nor any type of Anglo - sorry. :-k
[quote=Perhaps Vaucluse should volunteer his services

Vaucluse is a man

Thank you for noticing!

Now, about 'instant words', I believe you mean the rudimentary, every day conversation language. I'd echo the sugestion about having an Australian ESL teacher - there should be quite a few of them around.

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:03 am

Agree with some here that it would be better to get a qualified English language teacher or even an ESL tutor.

Be wary of some teachers as you do not want to end up with slang before mastering the rudiments of the language.
Case in point: I once saw this on Japanese TV where English was being taught. "The girl is fixing her face." See what I mean.

In a similar vein, I saw this sign at the back of a hotel room door, also in Japan which had me in hysterics. "In case of fire, please behave yourself." Of course they probably meant "In case of fire, please remain calm." You get the gist..... :lol:

Yeah and nothing beats reading.
One man's meat is another's poison.