Singapore Expats

Why Women Are Label SPG when hanging out with non-local Men

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:25 am

LisaLicious wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
LisaLicious wrote:when i am with my boyfriend and we are doing normal couple things like holding hand and hugging, people look at us weirdly. gosh, how shallow of them to think that only gorgeous people can have a caucasian for a bf... this is so implausible.
Bingo, got it!

Now I know why I never got the stares when walking with a local lady around here....

cause she is gorgeous.... 8)

Eric
lol.. so she is gorgeous that no one would look at you?

i still dun get it.. the men NEVER get labeled if he hangs around with a white chick or whatever... this is unfair and injust! :x
Who would you look at if there's a mediocre white guy walking with a beautiful local woman? :wink:

Eric

LisaLicious

hey

Post by LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:33 am

V >> rock on!!

Eric>> both of them?
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:35 am

good one Lisa,

I take that as a compliment. 8)

Eric

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Re: hey

Post by vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:37 am

LisaLicious wrote:V >> rock on!!

Eric>> both of them?
ROFL, I'd say the same thing Lisa, I'd look at both of them.

I wish they had the rock on emoticon, it's pretty cool! 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no spoon. 8)

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Why Women Are Label SPG when hanging out with non-local

Post by riversandlakes » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 4:19 am

There you have it ;)
LisaLicious wrote:typical and shallow locals
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Close Encounter

Post by Close Encounter » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:18 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the way an Asian woman dress, more to do with her behaviour and mindset. Suppose, the girl is a local and she hooks up with a Caucasian man and in a short space of time, she starts making degoratory remarks about her own people like calling them er.... 'shallow and typical', :wink: then yes, she can be mistaken for a SPG.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:40 am

I have noticed an increased number of threads relating to the Sing vs Expat issue cropping up lately, accompanied by the usage of lots and lots of emoticons . . .

My question, therefore:

Has the dividing wall broken?

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 9:47 am

Vaucluse,
Rousseau said "there is no progression without confrontation." I DO thing something has changed in Singapore over the last several years and it is that there IS much more integration than there used to be - and this is leading to more of these discussions. Personally, i take it as a sign of a healthy and vibrant society. I also think Singapore is progressing from a country with a somewhat isolated expat community into more of a melting pot. I like it.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 9:57 am

Monsieur Wham - I agree wholeheartedly with you. I remember first coming here and walking around, hand in hand - there would be a lot more gawking than there is now, especially the further you get away from Orchard/Holland V.
Discussion is healthy and hopefully will spur the process of acceptance of not just mixed race couple (Eurasians have been around for a looooong time) but otehrs in general.

I guess I was alluding more to the fact that the dividing line between the DIM side and 'us' is breaking down and we are being overrun by the 'dun u no' and 'where can cheap double eyelid transplant one' brigade.

Possibly I'm a snob, but I quite enjoyed the relatvely semi-intelligent discussions, but then I'm just a weak-kneed European, right? :wink:

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:13 am

Lisa,

It's just like I said in my first post, before someone decided to start taking potshots at me Again!

Why do you care? Does it bother you what other people think? You have to be like a duck & water and just let it roll off. The amount of flack that we (wife & I) received in the early days nobody here could even begin to have an idea about (asian or western). Asian (Singaporean) Society was much more closed off in the early '80's than now, two decades later.

Both your's & vaishali's answers are good and I respect you both for that. As far a Wham is concerned, we are in agreement 100%. Today, the walls are down or coming down fast kinda like the Berlin Wall.

Yes, V we are starting to be invaded by the dim side (joke girls!) and you and Bremen and Saint are primarily responsible for that yourselves with you continuous forays into the 'other' domain. In the vernacular of Eric's storytellers, I'd don't believe a finger in the Dike (Dyke?) is going to stop the flow this time. And, if they learn to spell so that expats on an expat forum can understand what it is they are trying to say, then maybe it's a good thing?

vaishali
rofl, you sound like me. I've done that, gotten into a few screaming matches with women who have asked my husband in front of me "why don't you leave her and come with me, you need a real woman". Erm, yeh, like I'm going to take that without retaliating in some way!!
Had to laugh over that one. In the early days (till about '91) we had the same problem, except the other way around. Expats continuously hitting on my wife (even when I was around). In our case, my wife was a professional singer and one of the requirements of the profession is PR. Unfortunately, in a club, when guys get a few under their belts, PR comes across as desire to them and all hell usually breaks loose. She was, and still is, an expert in handling the drinking crowd especially when she has a mic in her hands.

Anyway, welcome aboard you two! :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:53 am

Vaucluse wrote:Possibly I'm a snob, but I quite enjoyed the relatvely semi-intelligent discussions, but then I'm just a weak-kneed European, right? :wink:
Let's debate! :D

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:42 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Possibly I'm a snob, but I quite enjoyed the relatvely semi-intelligent discussions, but then I'm just a weak-kneed European, right? :wink:
Let's debate! :D

Eric

:lol: You're an idiot sometimes :lol:

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:22 pm

you semi-intellectual snob you! :P

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:23 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:you semi-intellectual snob you! :P

Eric

semi? mmmm . . . ok!

'nuff said Image

LisaLicious

Post by LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 7:46 pm

haha thanks thanks...

thanks to u all for replying to this thread. though there are many thread of this such,i just wanted to see for myself how others would have replied.

yeah... decided to not be bothered by the locals. i guess it requires a lot of acceptance from them abt this.

and no... i think its quite alright to be calling my kind "shallow" cause i think its true. do they really have to be so rude and sterotypical? hmmm

welcome aboard? lol... thanks captain.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.