Singapore Expats

best exchange for euros

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
rell

best exchange for euros

Post by rell » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:02 pm

I want to buy euros before travelling - does anyone have any recommendations for where to go to get the best rates? I would rather not wait until getting to the airport to buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:38 pm

Money changers around town have rates that are a couple of cents per dollar better than the banks. My non scientific observation is that most money changers are pretty close to each other, rate wise.

mystic_amigo

Re: best exchange for euros

Post by mystic_amigo » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:15 pm

Rell,
My experience are inline with SE's comments. Not too much of a difference in rates. However, I tend to get get marginally better rates for US $ at Suntec (level 1 - Near the Kio garden escalator) or at Mustafa (little India)

(Note: The marginal difference is miniscule)

Cheers

EPL
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EPL » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 7:56 pm

I do agree with the above posters..

Here is the list - pick the one which is convenient to you- I personally would go to The Arcade cos there are lots of them in there.
http://www.singaporemirror.com/ps_moneychangers.htm
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live the questions now... Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live... into the answer ~Rainer Maria Rilke~

Dianthus

Post by Dianthus » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:26 pm

I agree w EPL, the Arcade is really good. It may depend on which side you are but I got almost the market price for USD there. Worth a try!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:08 am

Another thing you might consider instead of converting cash here and carrying it is to carry a visa debit or a Cirrus or some other worldwide atm card. I rarely travel with cash because atm's are everywhere. The differential between cash conversion and paying the transaction fees on the card is not that great unless you are talking tens of thousands of dollars. I can drink more beer in one evening at a beer garden than the fees will cost me.