Singapore Expats

Converting wet bathroom to dry

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Blaze

Converting wet bathroom to dry

Post by Blaze » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 8:03 am

Hello
The bathrooms in the flat we rented have no separation between the shower and the rest of the bathroom.

I am a bit of a handyman myself, so I think setting a little "wall" (0.5-1 foot) to separate the 2 areas and putting a shower curtain might do the trick of keeping the toilet and sink areas dry. (Thankfully, the shower is tucked into a corner.)

Does anyone have any experience in this regard ? What can I use for the abovementioned "wall" ? Any other ideas to maintain a dry bathroom ?

Thanks
Blaze

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:52 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to install a circular/ semi-circular rail on the ceiling of the shower area and then hang a wide, full length shower curtain to go right round that space? That way you could pull the curtain around the shower area when you were using it. I think that would be a lot less hassle than finding dry wall plasterboard and getting the correct sealers etc. Keeping the room dry would then be a matter of walking across the floor with a towel at your feet.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 6:42 pm

Thanks k1w1 for your response.

I am afraid it won't be waterproof. What would prevent the water from running under the curtain to the rest of the floor ? Another problem is that the only drain in the bathroom is located under the sink, so I am gonna have to channel the water flow from the shower area to the drain.

After my 2 hyperactive kids take their showers, the place looks like a disaster zone :)

Where can I get the plaster board you mentioned? Maybe I could try that out. Is that sturdy or is it sheetrock like in the US?

Thanks
Blaze

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 7:26 pm

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the owner first.
That way he will be aware that you want to make the changes and it might avoid problems later. And he might accept to cover the costs, after all it will increase the value of his property.

Technically speaking I would go straight to the "real" shower and install something like on the picture:

(sorry I have no idea how to call this in English!)
This way the water will not run away and you can install the curtain as suggested by K1w1. Of course you will have to install a pipe to bring the water to the drain.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 7:48 pm

That's called a shower tray, and yes, it would be a good idea I think. Although it sounds like you're going to have to think about plumbing too.

Blaze, does your bathroom floor have no downwards angle towards the plug? And the plug is not near the shower so water could potentially just sit there on the floor all day? Sounds very badly designed - or very badly pictured in my mind... I can see my kids turning the entire bathroom into a slip 'n' slide nightmare, complete with hospital visits and the like :shock:

The water-proof board I was talking about is a regulation gib-board in New Zealand for bathroom installation. I am not sure whether sheetrock is the same thing as gib-board... and I would have no idea where to go to buy it here.

I think it's a good idea to have a talk with your landlord, as he/she will probably know a person who could do it for you or where you could buy materials. At any rate, you'll need permission to alter the premises.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 8:41 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I shall talk to the landlord about it.

Where can I get a tray like the one shown in CD's image ?

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:52 am

http://www.wilton.com.sg/portable.htm

Most of the sanitaryware showrooms are located at IMM in Jurong East.

Big names are Sim Siang Choon, Hoe Kee, Nan Wah Marketing.

But.. shower trays have a really small footprint. Toilets like yours where the shower area is not a defined space, enjoys a very spacious shower environment. It's the standard design for HBD flats built before the late 90s. I suggest to test out the space with the kids when deciding on the shower tray.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:37 pm

Thanks Yoongf. I am headed to IMM rightaway.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 4:14 pm

Yikes! I meant to write, I am headed for IMM ...