Singapore Expats

Defamatory Legal Expert Required

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
arp036_1972

Defamatory Legal Expert Required

Post by arp036_1972 » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 1:51 pm

Hi All,

Having been in Singapore for about 8 months, I now have a writ of summons against me for 30,000 Singapore. A few weeks ago i posted a blog which was not defamatory (my view) and the next thing I had a letter from the Shops solicitor informing me that they wanted me to apologise.
I did apologise and removed the blog but did not admit to defamatory.

Next thing they wanted 10,000 in loss of damages (blog was only on for 2 days). i refused to pay within 24 hours and now i have a writ of summons for 30,000.

Is there anyone out there that you know that can help me.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 3:38 pm

From what I remember about my legal education published defamation is usually referred to as libel. If you really want to stick to your guns you need to prove what you said was true, but in most instances a formal apology (in this case a retraction & apology on your blog) may suffice.

Have a look at this site (although it is Australian & so may not be worth quoting as Singaporean laws are probably different).http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/ ... ation.html

Best of luck
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway