Singapore Expats

How long do you think you'll stay here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

How long do you think you'll stay here?

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:05 pm

I think it's safe to say that the majority of people on this forum are expats - with the exception of our regular local friends (whose opinions are also wanted on this thread :) ).

Most of us have come here for work or have married locals and have carved out a life here for whatever reasons. So what I'm curious to know is:

How long do you think you'll stay? Is this different to what you originally thought? If there is no magic number of years, do you plan to stay here indefinately or do you have a specific goal in mind? When/if you leave, do you think you'll ever come back?

I'll start: I came here thinking I would try it for a year. I like it. I plan to stay for about five more. I don't know about becoming PR yet, and I know I could never give up my NZ passport. I feel as though I *could* settle here long term (over a decade), but don't know if I will, if that makes sense. How about you guys?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:15 pm

Well, regardless of my husband's job-- my plan is to be on SQ #26 bound for NYC on June 1, 2010, the day my youngest graduates. I can't be on a different continent than all three of my kids. Its just that simple.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:50 pm

I arrived here 4 years ago, already in my second job. In fact I left the first one as I was asked to go back to Europe. That gives you already an indication on how long I'd like to stay: for the moment I feel at home here.

But with experience I learned that plans can always change. So my current plan is to enjoy every day here...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Re: How long do you think you'll stay here?

Post by Kimi » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:55 pm

k1w1 wrote:I'll start: I came here thinking I would try it for a year. I like it. I plan to stay for about five more. I don't know about becoming PR yet, and I know I could never give up my NZ passport. I feel as though I *could* settle here long term (over a decade), but don't know if I will, if that makes sense. How about you guys?
I knew from the beginning it's going to be a few years for me to be here, at least till the end of next year when my sister settles down if I really got to hate it here, but that's very unlikely...
To be honest I like it here more than Japan, except the service part cause in Japan service is the best I dare say, even though I do talk a lot about Japan, then again I did spend most of my 20s there so...
Only what would weigh me down is to have to say goodbye to fellow non-local friends which happened as well in Japan that made me hate Narita airport in Tokyo in one point, so I recently feel it would be good as well to make local friends as well even though at the moment unfortunately beside the office I don't see any other opportunity for that yet :( Any ideas?
I reckon it would be easier to make friends with locals here compared to Japan, as the people are more open actually, on another note.
But I hope it's not misunderstood as if I plan to ditch people I know here who are non-locals, even though in Japan I did see that pattern in some non-locals' behaviour, which I think it's a shame to sort of put a box into yourself actually...
K1w1-chan, when are we going to have the pleasure of your company in one of our forum rendezvous?
Last edited by Kimi on Sun, 04 Dec 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 9:28 pm

We came a year ago for my husband employment. As long as that holds out, we'll be here. I'm enjoying it, although I could do without the humidity. It's a killer...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:19 pm

What can I say, I came here on a 12 months contract during the 81-82 oil embargo in the US. Now one wife, two kids, three cars and 5 jobs later I'm still here. Been a PR for half of that time. Figure at the MOST I got 7 more years but in recent years I feel the farm tugging very, very hard.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

only 1??!!?

Post by Scorpion » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 7:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:... Now one wife, ...
I feel the farm tugging very, very hard.
#-o
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How long do you think you'll stay here?

Post by babykasim » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 9:17 am

k1w1 wrote: How long do you think you'll stay? Is this different to what you originally thought? If there is no magic number of years, do you plan to stay here indefinately or do you have a specific goal in mind? When/if you leave, do you think you'll ever come back?
I work here by accident, just casually apply an ad and here I am.
My initial intention was to work for 2 years before going for my master degree then move to other place or go back home.
After I know the fun of having my own money, I decided to do the part-time master course in NUS instead of quitting my job to go overseas.
Now, 6 years here - Ive decided to move out of here in 2 years time, after re-newing my PR - be it to another country or simply back home.

But then again, I've been planning this for years and it kept on being delayed to the following year - so I guess I dunno.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: only 1??!!?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:40 am

Scorpion wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:... Now one wife, ...
I feel the farm tugging very, very hard.
#-o
Why? :???: What didn't you understand?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 1:42 am

3-month old here now. I have plans, and being here forever (specifically like >10 years) are not one of them. Plans to see more of the world while I still can. To me, "seeing the world" means to get to places and find a job and live the life there. Vacations to me just bastardizes the phrase "see the world", imho ;)

Want to live an enriching life - good or bad experiences, as long it's enriching?

Well, plans are just plans. God disposes. Who knows? I might get booted out within the next 12 months or something hehe Or moi plans might just work out?
The suspense is part of the fun, no? :o :twisted:
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 6:00 am

Hi k1w1,

I dunno about you, but for the term "migration" has a specific meaning. I want to give up my current life and start a new one in Singapore. My plan is to stay, and that's why I am also prepared to become a citizen eventually.
You do what you are.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 8:48 am

Not too long...
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 5:08 pm

[arches her eyebrow and looks @ Sapphire].... Just where do you think you are going? ... ... ...

Dianthus

Post by Dianthus » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:44 pm

Hi K1W1

Thought I'd be here for a year after being transfered from Tokyo. Been 4 years with 3 jobs, I'm still here. I recently landed on the 3rd job so think I'll be here at least another 2-3 years .. or who knows even longer. Like Kimi, I prefer Sin're to Japan. Sin're is less hectic and offers healthier life. Tokyo is just too stressful and unhealthy in many ways. i.e. long commuting time, smokes everywhere, longer working hours, etc etc.

Would love to work in other countries but being Japanese it may be difficult to get a job .. (I'll keep on trying though).

I do enjoy these unexpected changes in life. That's what makes the life more fun, right? :wink:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 8:35 am

Damn right, Dianthus! And if I happen to meet Ms. Right along, will she follow me along for these adventures? ;)
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.