Singapore Expats

Public Relations-work experience/internship

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
yippe

Public Relations-work experience/internship

Post by yippe » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 5:16 pm

Hi all! I been studying in Perth WA, graduating soon.. and now i am back home ready to do PR/journalism internship. If any of you knows a company in Singapore that does those kind of programs( most that i have asked before were rigid and perhaps not the typical policies).. do give us a shout. I am excellent at what i do and best part of all.. I dont need to be paid.. just the corporate experience that i can gain after a month or longer

Thanks. Ciao!
Tara
[email protected]

James**
Regular
Regular

Re: Public Relations-work experience/internship

Post by James** » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 7:08 pm

yippe wrote:Hi all! I been studying in Perth WA, graduating soon.. and now i am back home ready to do PR/journalism internship. If any of you knows a company in Singapore that does those kind of programs( most that i have asked before were rigid and perhaps not the typical policies).. do give us a shout. I am excellent at what i do and best part of all.. I dont need to be paid.. just the corporate experience that i can gain after a month or longer

Thanks. Ciao!
Tara
[email protected]
Try calling Lim Fung Meng, @ 67423511 who is an editor with a local publishing house and see if he can offer you an internship position.

:)

yippe

PR work/internship

Post by yippe » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 9:49 pm

Hey! awesome. thanks for the info. If goes well, coffee treat on me!

T

Shana

Post by Shana » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:40 pm

Hiya,

Was in same position as you and am doing my internship now.

Most PR companies in Singapore hire interns. Especially the international ones. Why not? They're cheap and sometimes, even free and PR companies almost always run on a relatively tight budget. However they do not advertise as there is no need too. Enough people write in on spec for them to choose from. Research the ones you want to apply to and send in your CV with a covering letter. Sounds trite, but that's what I did and how I landed a place. If you have to, call the main line and ask for the relevant person/email to email your application too. Sometimes, the email they give on their website doesn't get checked for weeks. The receptionist may also know exactly who is looking to hire and will give you their direct email. That said, BE VERY NICE to whoever answers the phone. I've heard the receptionist in my company almost refuse to give a particular caller the relevant email address because that person was v. rude.

Bear in mind that a lot of communications and business students from the local unis, SMU/NTU would be applying now or even before for their mandatory internship which starts soon in January. Places are filling up, so start applying soon!

As for journalism, dont' know what type of journalism you wish to get into but IS Magazine frequently advertises for editorial interns. You may wish to check it out. All the local female magazines also take interns and from what I heard, procedure is the same as above!

PM me if you have anyore questions and the best of luck. Once you get your internship, be prepared to swallow your pride and start doing the dirty work... :D
I am as strong as the friends I have, the hairspray I use and the coffee I drink.

yippe

Re: Public Relations-work experience/internship

Post by yippe » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:08 am

James** wrote:
yippe wrote:Hi all! I been studying in Perth WA, graduating soon.. and now i am back home ready to do PR/journalism internship. If any of you knows a company in Singapore that does those kind of programs( most that i have asked before were rigid and perhaps not the typical policies).. do give us a shout. I am excellent at what i do and best part of all.. I dont need to be paid.. just the corporate experience that i can gain after a month or longer

Thanks. Ciao!
Tara
[email protected]
Try calling Lim Fung Meng, @ 67423511 who is an editor with a local publishing house and see if he can offer you an internship position.

:)
Hi James!

Thanks for Fung Meng's number. He has put me on a campaign but it really needs a miracle to do that..lol. Anyway, i would love to buy you coffee whenever u are ready.

Tara

yippe

Post by yippe » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:14 am

Shana wrote:Hiya,

Was in same position as you and am doing my internship now.

Most PR companies in Singapore hire interns. Especially the international ones. Why not? They're cheap and sometimes, even free and PR companies almost always run on a relatively tight budget. However they do not advertise as there is no need too. Enough people write in on spec for them to choose from. Research the ones you want to apply to and send in your CV with a covering letter. Sounds trite, but that's what I did and how I landed a place. If you have to, call the main line and ask for the relevant person/email to email your application too. Sometimes, the email they give on their website doesn't get checked for weeks. The receptionist may also know exactly who is looking to hire and will give you their direct email. That said, BE VERY NICE to whoever answers the phone. I've heard the receptionist in my company almost refuse to give a particular caller the relevant email address because that person was v. rude.

Bear in mind that a lot of communications and business students from the local unis, SMU/NTU would be applying now or even before for their mandatory internship which starts soon in January. Places are filling up, so start applying soon!

As for journalism, dont' know what type of journalism you wish to get into but IS Magazine frequently advertises for editorial interns. You may wish to check it out. All the local female magazines also take interns and from what I heard, procedure is the same as above!

PM me if you have anyore questions and the best of luck. Once you get your internship, be prepared to swallow your pride and start doing the dirty work... :D
Hi Shana!
Glad to know we are on the same boat. If u have read the other messages on this page, u might know that i have landed a place.. hehehhe..
It was harder to start with. Most of the companies i had spoken to were either not hiring interns or prefer local universities. Thank god i dont have to do a journalism internship- at least not here. I rather pratice PR if i have to write in Singapore. Maybe u could understand why..lol. Oh btw, Which institution did u attend? Maybe we can meet up for coffee one of these days?
T

Shana

Post by Shana » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 1:43 pm

Ahh you have, congrats! I too would rather do PR than journalism though sometimes it gets so frustrating I wish I were on the other side of the fence as a journalist who gets calls from us PR peeps all the time begging the journalist to come to a media launch. Doesn’t help that the media base in S’pore is tiny…oh well, it’s interesting and good fun, especially for recent graduates I would say. You get to learn loads! Yes coffee sounds good, would be interesting to sit down and commiserate.. :)
I am as strong as the friends I have, the hairspray I use and the coffee I drink.